Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Favorite Buffy Episodes: A Count-Up

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    28. Tabula Rasa (6.8)
    But the bookends are deeply sad, particularly the "Goodbye to You" song while Tara packs her gear to leave Willow... and poor Dawn, who has had her share of abandonment.
    I think this is one of the most effective uses of a song on the screen (tv or movie) that I have ever seen in my entire life. It's a perfect, heartbreaking scene.

31. Hell's Bells (6.16)
    Interesting Tidbit:

Have you ever noticed that Anya's evilness is completely tied into her hair color? The eviler she is, the more brunette. So, she starts off a dark brown in season 3, and it gets lighter and lighter as she falls for Xander until this episode, when it's blonde as a buttercup. She ends up very, very dark brown as she goes back to vengeance, and then lightens again throughout her redemption, until she's blonde in the final episode.
    That's fantastic! Great observation.

32. Him (7.6)
    Also, Michelle Trachtenberg gets a chance to dress up like a whore, thus preparing her for the remainder of her career.
    So funny because its so true.

Keep 'em coming!

33. Angel (1.7)
    Written by David Greenwalt, Directed by Scott Brazil

Buffy: I can't believe this is happening. One minute we were kissing, and the next minute... Can a vampire ever be a good person? Couldn't it happen?

Giles: A vampire isn't a person at all. It may have the movements, the, the memories, even the personality of the person that it took over, but i-it's still a demon at the core, there is no halfway.
    Summary: Buffy and Angel finally have more than a two-word conversation, make out a little, and she finds out he's a vampire. We find out a little bit of his past, and he kills Darla.

Why I love it: This is another one that isn't necessarily the greatest piece of work in and of itself, but exciting because it starts setting up some themes that are going to be playing out for the entire rest of the series. There's the "vampire in love with a slayer" bit, of course, but there's also Buffy dealing for the first time with the fact that she's a professional killer, and that she isn't always on the side of justice. Just because something is supernatural doesn't give her the right to kill it-- there's a delicate balance with finding out if something is threatening or not.

Buffy has to deal with a couple of mostly-harmless vampires in her time, particularly Angel, and then Spike and Harmony to a lesser extent. There are also a number of gentle, non-threatening demons. But prior to this point in the series, we're not shown any supernatural creature being anything but a cold killer.

Plus, smoochies!
    ...and the milk's in me.

34. Dirty Girls (7.18)
    Written by Drew Goddard, Directed by Michael Gershman

CALEB: Now, I know what you're thinking. Crazy preacher man spoutin' off at the mouth about the whore of Babylon or some-such. That ain't me. I'm not here to lecture you. I mean, what's the point? My words just curdle in your ears. Wouldn't take in a thing. Head's filled with so much filth that ain't no room for words of truth. Well, you know what you are, Shannon? Dirty.

SHANNON: What? I'm not! What're—

CALEB: Now, now, now. There's no blame here. You were born dirty, born without a soul. Born with that gaping maw wants to open up, suck out a man's marrow. Makes me puke to think too hard on it.
    Summary: As Faith returns to Sunnydale to help on the side of the white hats, The First debuts its main player-- Caleb the psychotic preacher. Some of the Potentials get slaughtered and Xander loses an eye.

Why I love it: Several reasons. First of all, it's a game-changer in terms of upping the stakes and introducing a deeply scary character in Caleb.

But there are also some very funny and human moments, particularly involving Faith-- and, let's face it, I love me some Faith. First of all, there's the deeply fantastic montage where Andrew tells her narrative as an action packed adventure! Which ends with her fighting a Vulcan. Which is awesome.

We also get this really, really funny scene between Faith and Spike. It's not as funny just reading it. You have to find it and watch it. For realsies.

[
    ]

Interesting Tidbits:

If you ever get a chance to watch the commentary on this with Drew Goddard and Nicholas Brennan, it's really interesting. Drew has some cool stuff to say about how men perceive women in this episode (Caleb with the girls, Xander with his fantasies about the Potentials coming on to him, etc.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Coming up on my last entry, I'm finding myself in a bit of a quandry. All of the episodes I've listed are somewhere between an A+ and a B+, and there's plenty of other B+ worthy episodes out there. What about "Family"? What about "Homecoming", or as I call it, "SlayerFest '98", because that name is awesomer? What about "School Hard" and "Helpless"? "Life Serial" with the impossible mummy's hand?

HOLY CRAP THIS IS AN AWESOME SHOW.

But I'm sticking with my first choice, because I am a slave to the list. Feel free to point out all the wicked mistakes I made and all the great episodes I overlooked.
    ...and the milk's in me.

35. Bewitched, Bothered, & Bewildered (2.16)
    Written by Marti Noxon, Directed by James A. Contner

Drusilla: Your face is a poem. Oh, I can read it.

Xander: Really? It doesn't say, "spare me" by any chance?

Drusilla: How do you feel about eternal life?

Xander: We couldn't just start with a coffee? A movie, maybe?
    Summary: Facing peer pressure from her friends, especially Harmony (who has really awesome hair this episode), Cordelia dumps Xander on Valentine's Day. He's annoyed, and so gets Amy to cast a love spell on her, which goes hilariously awry.

Why I love it: First of all, it's funny and Xander-centric, which always go well together. We get to see normally-staid characters making fools of themselves, like Jenny and Joyce. Willow threatens Xander with an ax and Buffy gets turned into a rat. It's fantastic.

Also, for an itty bitty person, SMG has some killer legs.

And, while Xander seems really upset by the love spell at the time, he remembers it fondly in later episodes. Good ol' Xander.

We also get a darker, creepier subplot of Angelus sending increasingly threatening messages to Buffy for Valentine's Day, which is naturally a precursor to the awesome "Passions" later on in the season. For the first time, we start getting some nasty details on what Angelus does for fun.

Giles: Look, here's another. Here. Um, 'Valentine's Day.' Yes, uh... 'Angel nails a puppy to the...'

Buffy: Skip it.

Giles: Uh, but it...

Buffy: I don't wanna know. I don't have a puppy. Skip it.
    My favorite part of the episode, though, is at the end when Cordelia finally stand up to her friends to fight for her own happiness and defend Xander... sort of.

Cordelia: You're a sheep. All you ever do is what everyone else does just so you can say you did it first. And here I am, scrambling for your approval, when I'm way cooler than you are 'cause I'm not a sheep. I do what I wanna do, and I wear what I wanna wear. And you know what? I'll date whoever the hell I wanna date. No matter how lame he is.
    And there, ladies and gentlemen, is the first moment when I thought these two crazy kids might actually be good for each other.
    ...and the milk's in me.

For loving Xander episodes so much, I'm surprised by how much you dislike "The Pack" which is the first Xander episode. I realize it's a none too subtle metaphor, but for me I needed that to give me that lens through which to then start reading the show.

Plus, Xander is extremely hot when he's aggressively coming on to Buffy. And the heart-breaking encounters with Willow! So wrenching.

Quote Quoting thefourthwall (view post)
    For loving Xander episodes so much, I'm surprised by how much you dislike "The Pack" which is the first Xander episode. I realize it's a none too subtle metaphor, but for me I needed that to give me that lens through which to then start reading the show.

Plus, Xander is extremely hot when he's aggressively coming on to Buffy. And the heart-breaking encounters with Willow! So wrenching.
    I don't dislike it especially. I think it's about medium-good per the first season... if that makes sense. I like Principal Flutie's untimely demise and Xander gets kinda cool and sexy when he's wandering around in slow-motion. But other than that... it's just sort of unmemorable.
    ...and the milk's in me.

"Bewitched" impressed me particularly because it was a well done comedic episode amidst in a dark set at the end of season 2. It was the first time it really stuck out to me upon first watch, and something Whedon has used very well on all of his shows (although I've to see Dollhouse beyond episode 8 of the first season).

Tabula Rasa, Angel, Surprise/Innocence, The Replacement are all great choices. Damnit, this has really made me want to rewatch the series now, ven with all that I have on my plate right now. That was your plan, wasn't it? :evil:

On the other hand, this has inspired to do my own TV-related list, so thanks for that.

"Him" is good fun. Would make my Top 35, too. It's like Buffy: The OC complete with the soundtrack, too. The final act is hilarious, I especially love Anya's reaction to the news when they talk about the bank robbery. Classic.

Also love this exchange:

Willow: Well, I have skills. I can prove my love with magic.
    Anya: Yeah, right. What are you gonna do? Use magic to make him into a girl?
    [Willow's face lights up]
    Anya: Damn...
    Now, Mara, I'd like to know why these didn't make the list (some of my favorites you left out):

I Only Have Eyes for You
    Amends
    Helpless
    Spiral
    Selfless
    Lies My Parents Told Me

By the way, I just have to compliment your list as a whole. I've said this before to you multiple times, Mara, but you are a gifted writer. Even when you write little writeups like this, they're very engaging and entertaining. Fun read, and you told me some little trivia things I've never heard before.

1. The Body (5.16)
    Written & Directed by Joss Whedon

Sometimes, when you've experienced losing a close loved one, you feel very isolated, like you're in a special club of people that understand one another, but nobody else in the world does.
    I know this is out of the blue, but I lost my brother last week and what you wrote here stuck with me. I watched "The Body" and "Forever" the day after my brother died. Saw it in a completely new light. Noticed little aspects that never clicked for me before. Biggest one was when Buffy opens the back door after discovering her mother's body and sunlight pours in the room -- it's a beautiful day, you hear children playing. Even though it feels like time has stopped for you, the world still turns. I had a similar experience on the way to the funeral. Paradoxically, the weather was beautiful on Thursday. As I was sitting in the car with my family during the funeral procession I had my window rolled down. The car was silent. No radio. No talking. We passed a school playground and the laughter of a group of children shattered our glass shell of silence. At first I felt angry -- how could anyone laugh at a time like that? Why didn't these kids have the respect to care about my brother? ...but then you realize. Time hasn't stopped for everyone.

I couldn't agree more with what you say, Mara. I can't tell you how many people have come up to me this week to try to offer their condolences, but you KNOW when someone is truly empathizing with you. You can tell by the look in their eye. You can still see their hurt. It is, unfortunately, like a club. And if there's any good that comes from this experience I have to imagine it's the feeling you get when you encounter a new member and help them realize they aren't alone.

Lucky, I am so sorry.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234