Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tech Support Thread

Voltage!!!
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    If it were me, and the price wasn't too large a difference, I would hold out for something larger. I waited until I could afford a 51" and I'm always thankful I did.
    That's another option. My thought, however, was that I'd use this one for a while and when I can afford a decent large sized tv later on, I'd use this one as a bedroom tv. Ugh... I just don't know!
    "Listen man, it might be hard to understand, but
    Don't mourn the dead,
    Celebrate the life they gave"
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Lasse (view post)
    That's another option. My thought, however, was that I'd use this one for a while and when I can afford a decent large sized tv later on, I'd use this one as a bedroom tv. Ugh... I just don't know!
    Well, that's a solid plan. As long as "when I can afford a decent one" isn't something like 7-10 years down the road. Otherwise regret might start to set in.

Voltage!!!
    Well, that's a solid plan. As long as "when I can afford a decent one" isn't something like 7-10 years down the road. Otherwise regret might start to set in.
    No, I'm good at saving money. Unless something unusual occurs, I'll have the money for a new screen within the year. So yeah, I'm going to get myself a 32"-ish screen either way.
    Don't mourn the dead,
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

No, I'm good at saving money. Unless something unusual occurs, I'll have the money for a new screen within the year. So yeah, I'm going to get myself a 32"-ish screen either way.
    If it's only a year off, I'd pull the trigger on this one now and then move it to the bedroom when you buy a larger model. For sure.

A new iPhone app my friend Pete helped design is getting some good press. Check it out:

Effin Genius is like Pandora's smart little brother

No matter how much music you have on your iPhone or iPod Touch, sometimes you get bored with it or just want somebody else to drive.
    That's the appeal of apps like Pandora and Slacker, which build personalized radio stations based on a particular artist, then let you customize those stations to various degrees.

A psychedelic nugget by the late great Syd Barrett, recommended by Effin Genius.

A new app called Effin Genius, from Seattle company Melodeo, takes a different approach: instead of forcing you to enter the name of an artist or musical genre--or anything at all--Effin Genius analyzes the playlists in the iTunes library on your iPhone or iPod Touch, then creates identically named playlists of other music it thinks you would like.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13526_3-10426271-27.html

Voltage!!!
    If it's only a year off, I'd pull the trigger on this one now and then move it to the bedroom when you buy a larger model. For sure.
    You just cost me $500. Thanks. :P
    Don't mourn the dead,
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

You just cost me $500. Thanks. :P
    I'm great at spending other people's money. Now you know!

This here thread seems like as good a place as any to pose this question:

With the prices of 1080p 42" plasmas/LCDs in the 600 dollar range at Best Buy, I'm pondering breaking down and going Hi-Def, which would require me to replace all my optical/s-video connections with HDMI.

Now, I'm not too thrilled at the prospect of paying 50 bucks for a five foot HDMI cable at Best Buy (probably an exaggeration, but you get the picture), so I was goggling the netweb for some online stores, and came across cables.com, where I can get the three HDMI cables I would need for about 50 bucks for all of them.

Can anybody here vouch for this site? Or are there any other places you would recommend instead? I remember D_Davis talking about some cheap HDMI source, but can't remember where he was recommending.

Thanks in advance!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Director
    I've always bought all my cables from MonoPrice. Their quality and prices are great, but it doesn't look like they're taking credit card payments again until 3/23.

http://www.monoprice.com/
    We are unable to accept credit card payments at this time. We plan to accept credit card payment orders beginning next Tuesday, March 23, 2010, after we implement additional security measures. Truly sorry for any inconvenience it may cause you.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    I've always bought all my cables from MonoPrice. Their quality and prices are great, but it doesn't look like they're taking credit card payments again until 3/23.

http://www.monoprice.com/
    Thanks man. That would work for me, seeing as I wouldn't be needing them until the 1st of April anyway.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Never buy cables at a store. 100-200% mark-up.

You can get then for 1 cent plus $3 shipping from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-meter-foo...8863698&sr=8-1

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Never buy cables at a store. 100-200% mark-up.

You can get then for 1 cent plus $3 shipping from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-meter-foo...8863698&sr=8-1
    This! THIS!!!
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

I've bought cables through monoprice.com and have no complaints. I went with jacketed ones as an extra protection against our cats.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Another stupid question, but I'm seeing two versions of HDMI cables, regular and 1.3. Is there any version do I need to go with, or do I just go with 1.3?

Fuuuck, I hate the European technology price premium. I paid 619€ for my new 24" HP LP2475w monitor, which is roughly $840US. In the actual US you can get it for as low as half of that brand new.:frustrated:

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Another stupid question, but I'm seeing two versions of HDMI cables, regular and 1.3. Is there any version do I need to go with, or do I just go with 1.3?
    1.3 is the most recent release. Stick with that.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

My "Automatically Add to Itunes" folder has stopped automatically adding, anyone know how to get it to start working again?

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Fuuuck, I hate the European technology price premium. I paid 619€ for my new 24" HP LP2475w monitor, which is roughly $840US. In the actual US you can get it for as low as half of that brand new.:frustrated:
    Do they call that a "value added" tax or something?

BAH. Help?

On my work computer my anti-spy software caught a bug and cleaned it up. Since then I can't get Internet Explorer to work (no biggie, I generally use Firefox) and my volume doesn't work (which is really annoying.) It says I don't have a sound driver. I guess something got accidentally blocked?

Any way to fix this?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    BAH. Help?

On my work computer my anti-spy software caught a bug and cleaned it up. Since then I can't get Internet Explorer to work (no biggie, I generally use Firefox) and my volume doesn't work (which is really annoying.) It says I don't have a sound driver. I guess something got accidentally blocked?

Any way to fix this?
    Any chance you got the AV2010 virus? It's a really, really bad piece of malware destroying computers right now.

Download Malwarebytes, run it, and clean up anything it finds, then let me know.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I don't know what it was, but it was nastycakes. After my built-in spyware ran on it (Symantic) I ran Malwarebytes, which found more stuff and cleaned it.

But now I've run both and they're coming up clean, but my volume doesn't work.

:sad:

I think the virus is gone, though. The rest of the computer is running fine.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Worst cast scenario, our IT guy will be in and can take a look at it next week. But I miss sound.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio > Hardware Tab

What do you see listed in the Devices Window?

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio > Hardware Tab

What do you see listed in the Devices Window?
    "No Audio Device."

And a grayed-out drop-down menu.

Gee, that doesn't sound good.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Some googling makes it seem like the virus may have marred some of my registry keys. Including whatever controls the sound.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast