Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tech Support Thread

The Tech Support Thread

I feel like something like this probably exists already, but searches are yielding nothing. Anywho, this thread can be dedicated to tech questions, answers and discussion of all kinds. I'll open with a statement and a question:

Windows 7 is sleek, fast and sexy. Upgrade nao.

I need video card recs. This computer is brand new, yet it barely plays Combat Arms, which is a free multiplayer shooter. It's not that demanding.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Good news about Windows 7. I've been holding off on upgrading, because performing a fresh install is a pain. Necessary in my case, since I've been running 32-bit Vista, and want to upgrade to a 64-bit OS. I need more RAM.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

I'm done with Microsoft. My next system will be a Mac.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

I wish I could use a Mac. I could buy one, but the limitations are so severe, I'd have to have a second machine for whatever the Mac can't do for me.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Hate Macs.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    more random-thought-ish, but did you guys ever feel left behind by technology? you know, like people from our parents' generation or older who are just illiterate with all things internet. (at least my parents are.)

i don't have iphone, can't twister, and not a big fan of facebook, but all in all, i still insist i'm doing pretty ok. it's not hard to imagine though that soon there'll be a lot for me to catch up.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

I sometimes feel I'm behind on things when I compare what is available to me (or rather NOT) and what the Americans, for example, take for granted nowadays.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Neither me or my wife own a cell phone and I think we're better people because of it.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Neither me or my wife own a cell phone and I think we're better people because of it.
    Well, that's cool if you can pull it off. I don't know if it makes you better people, but it definitely means you lead a lifestyle that doesn't include many of the common aspects for most of the people.

I could go rogue and ditch my cellphone. I wouldn't be able to contact my family since I don't have a landline, I'd lose most of my clients and jobs and pretty much be left with very few choices in life.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Well, that's cool if you can pull it off. I don't know if it makes you better people, but it definitely means you lead a lifestyle that doesn't include many of the common aspects for most of the people.

I could go rogue and ditch my cellphone. I wouldn't be able to contact my family since I don't have a landline, I'd lose most of my clients and jobs and pretty much be left with very few choices in life.
    But you'd be a better person.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm not saying that we are better than other people because we don't have cellphones, I'm saying we are better off not having cellphones. Of course in certain instances (if you require one for a job, out of town constantly) then they might be a good tool but for the most part they are doing far more damage to our society than good.
    TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

I'm not saying that we are better than other people because we don't have cellphones, I'm saying we are better off not having cellphones. Of course in certain instances (if you require one for a job, out of town constantly) then they might be a good tool but for the most part they are doing far more damage to our society than good.
    How is it doing more damage? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, because I find it pretty hard to believe.

Not only in the cases listed, but as an aide in emergency, the cellphone is great. Not only in the "emergency" cases of being lost, others being lsot, or a quicker reach for kids, but also in the instance of yourself being hurt. Many phones have ICE Support so that ER Docs can easily notify someone.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I agree that they have changed a lot of things for the worse, but the inevitable truth is that once it has changed, you can't just go back. The whole world has to. So yeah, if you can manage without it in the modern world, more power to ya, but that just means you're very, very, very lucky.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    How is it doing more damage? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, because I find it pretty hard to believe.

Not only in the cases listed, but as an aide in emergency, the cellphone is great. Not only in the "emergency" cases of being lost, others being lsot, or a quicker reach for kids, but also in the instance of yourself being hurt. Many phones have ICE Support so that ER Docs can easily notify someone.
    Your example makes up less then 1% of all cell phone calls though. It's making people into neurotic robots who have to be constantly checking their phone when they should be focused on other things (walking or driving for example so they don't run others over). I drive a truck around downtown Phoenix for the majority of my work day and I'm constantly having to watch out for people on their cellphones walking in front of my truck when their not paying attention and the same with drivers pulling in front of me and almost colliding with me and never even noticing because they're to involved in their phone conversation.

I imagine far more lives are lost due to cell phones then are saved by them.
    TV Recently Finished:

Your example makes up less then 1% of all cell phone calls though. It's making people into neurotic robots who have to be constantly checking their phone when they should be focused on other things (walking or driving for example so they don't run others over). I drive a truck around downtown Phoenix for the majority of my work day and I'm constantly having to watch out for people on their cellphones walking in front of my truck when their not paying attention and the same with drivers pulling in front of me and almost colliding with me and never even noticing because they're to involved in their phone conversation.

I imagine far more lives are lost due to cell phones then are saved by them.
    How about the amount of lives that are saved because 911 is called quicker as a result of cell phones?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    How is it doing more damage?
    They destroy every good horror movie idea.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

To be fair, this argument has been made after every major advance in technology.

Every technology has its good points and its opportunity for abuse. Its all about how its used.

Sure, I hate it too when people's driving is affected by talking/texting, or when people use their phones at the movies, etc.

But I'd be lying if I didnt get a kick out of it the first time I called home from the store (on my first cell phone, about 10 years ago), to make sure I was getting the exact correct formula of cough medicine for my niece.

Or the first time I used my iPhone to call a friend from the office supply Store, took a picture of the desk I was looking at, sent it to him via email on my phone and then talked to him as he looked at the picture and confirmed that the desk was the one he was looking for.

Little things, but I can't imagine trying to do stuff now without being able to contact people when I need to.

Best use of cellphones so far: Calling people when I'm lost to get directions.

I switched to Macs 6 years ago and I've never looked back. Whatever limitations they might have are things I don't wanna do anyway, so it's all smiles for me.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Loads and loads of software not available on Macs. Some Apple software is equal or better than the PC stuff, but there's always more choice in the other camp. As with the phone, mp3 players, Apple philosophy "we know what you need, so just give in" just rubs me the wrong way every time. Quality hardware, often quality software, but waaay too little choice in every aspect of the experience.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I switched to Macs 6 years ago and I've never looked back. Whatever limitations they might have are things I don't wanna do anyway, so it's all smiles for me.
    to me, it's just the opposite. my main reason for sticking with pc is thai fonts. (i'm a writer afterall.) even the shittiest pc in a computer room handles thai fonts better than my office mac.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    "we know what you need, so just give in" just rubs me the wrong way every time.
    totally agree here.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Okay so I smell something burning coming from my Mac laptop. Its 2 years old, and I quickly turned it off but I'm really quite alarmed here. Just going to let it cool off, and hopefully things will be alright.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Okay so I smell something burning coming from my Mac laptop. Its 2 years old, and I quickly turned it off but I'm really quite alarmed here. Just going to let it cool off, and hopefully things will be alright.
    Mac Laptops have been known to have issues with their batteries. You need to take it in to be looked at or have the battery replaced. Or both. You have a fire hazard on your hands, son.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I too received my Win 7 upgrade package. I currently have a laptop with Vista.

My question: Since this is merely an upgrade formula, rather than an actual Windows 7 DVD, does this mean that whenever, in the near future, I want to do a fresh install of Win7, I will first have to do a fresh install of Windows Vista?

Please say "no".
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Microsoft Word (Mac Os X) question. Does anyone know how to start the page numbering in a report on the third page with no numbering on the first two pages? And I need to have report start counting from 3. I can't get it to work. :evil:

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I too received my Win 7 upgrade package. I currently have a laptop with Vista.

My question: Since this is merely an upgrade formula, rather than an actual Windows 7 DVD, does this mean that whenever, in the near future, I want to do a fresh install of Win7, I will first have to do a fresh install of Windows Vista?

Please say "no".
    I couldn't say. Our new computer came with it pre-installed, so I imagine it stands on its own.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast