Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: The Tech Support Thread

Reviewers are saying the pics from the 4A's camera are noticeably better than those from the iPhone SE as well, which is its main competitor in the US.

As for 2FA - I screwed up when setting up my current phone and didn't back up Google Authenticator... So I got locked out of my UPlay account. I wrote to their support and explained the situation, and they verified what they needed to verify and eventually disabled the 2FA on the account so I could reset it. Pretty cool of them to do it.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Reviewers are saying the pics from the 4A's camera are noticeably better than those from the iPhone SE as well, which is its main competitor in the US.

As for 2FA - I screwed up when setting up my current phone and didn't back up Google Authenticator... So I got locked out of my UPlay account. I wrote to their support and explained the situation, and they verified what they needed to verify and eventually disabled the 2FA on the account so I could reset it. Pretty cool of them to do it.

Yes it is. That's rare.

I would recommend you guys start using Authy. You can cloud backup your backup codes.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I think they get that problem a lot because we're on average terrible with passwords.

It's official - my Pixel arrived Tuesday and after a little swizzeling with the SIM card (my old iPhone wasn't about to go silently into the night) I finally got it sending/receiving calls & txts. I consummated the relationship by txting my buddy and calling him a butthead.

Can't believe how much of a thrill it is to have it unplugged all day, then look at it at 7:30 at night and see it at 77% of the battery. Old phone woulda been down below 20%.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    It's official - my Pixel arrived Tuesday and after a little swizzeling with the SIM card (my old iPhone wasn't about to go silently into the night) I finally got it sending/receiving calls & txts. I consummated the relationship by txting my buddy and calling him a butthead.

Can't believe how much of a thrill it is to have it unplugged all day, then look at it at 7:30 at night and see it at 77% of the battery. Old phone woulda been down below 20%.
    Commence all your friends start complaining that the text messages show up green instead of blue.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Commence all your friends start complaining that the text messages show up green instead of blue.
    I've heard about this and never understood. Can't all phones change their color scheme to whatever you want? I guess not...oh the iAdvancements...

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I've heard about this and never understood. Can't all phones change their color scheme to whatever you want? I guess not...oh the iAdvancements...
    It has to do with iPhones using iMessage to send txts. Ones it receives in imessage show up in blue, others don't. I never noticed a difference, because apparently i never had it turned on.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Apple's mini walled garden: they integrated SMS texts with iMessage. If you text a non-iPhone it's an SMS and deducts from your texting plan, while iMessages are just using data like WhatsApp, Viber, Facebook Messenger and everything else the world actualy uses. It's all fine and dandy, but there's actual green bubble hate and discrimination out there, like people would actually be like "How DARE you not use an iPhone?!"

I'm probably about to start saving for a new gaming rig. Any advice you can give me? I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna order all the components and put it together myself. So I will be looking into buying a tower with all the stuff pre-installed. I will eventually be looking into the Valve index for Half Life Alyx so I'm definitely looking for something on the more powerful end of the scale. Questions could be:

- Is it useful to go for 32 gig ram? or is 16 gig the sweet spot?
    - Any kind of ram better over another kind?
    - Does it matter whether my monitor will be a 2K or 4K one?
    - What CPU would you recommend, AMD or Intel?
    - Is it a smart call to buy a dedicated sound card?
    - Do most higher end video cards support more than 1 monitor? Because I'm looking to hook up 2 at most.
    - is the onboard WIFI support usually good enough or should I install a dedicated one?
    - what kind of case is needed to ensure it is future proof.

Anyway, those kinds of things. Thanks!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I'm probably about to start saving for a new gaming rig. Any advice you can give me? I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna order all the components and put it together myself. So I will be looking into buying a tower with all the stuff pre-installed. I will eventually be looking into the Valve index for Half Life Alyx so I'm definitely looking for something on the more powerful end of the scale. Questions could be:

- Is it useful to go for 32 gig ram? or is 16 gig the sweet spot?
    - Any kind of ram better over another kind?
    - Does it matter whether my monitor will be a 2K or 4K one?
    - What CPU would you recommend, AMD or Intel?
    - Is it a smart call to buy a dedicated sound card?
    - Do most higher end video cards support more than 1 monitor? Because I'm looking to hook up 2 at most.
    - is the onboard WIFI support usually good enough or should I install a dedicated one?
    - what kind of case is needed to ensure it is future proof.

Anyway, those kinds of things. Thanks!
    - Is it useful to go for 32 gig ram? or is 16 gig the sweet spot? - 16 is probably good enough, but if you plan on multi-tasking 32 would be a good option.
    - Any kind of ram better over another kind? - no. All the dimm vendors use the same components and most of what you see is rebranded. Unless there's a DIMM with a certain aesthetic or RGB option, you dont have to worry about buying the most expensive DIMM pair.
    - Does it matter whether my monitor will be a 2K or 4K one? Yes it matters. And it depends on what kind of video card you get and also how beefy your PC is. If your PC is good enough to get 200+ frames per second, look for a monitor with a refresh rate of 244 Hz. Otherwise I would recommend 120-144 hz monitors. Your frame rate will be reflected in the refresh rate. So you if just buy a regular 60 hz LCD monitor and you're getting 200+ frames, you will not see the benefit. Resolution also effects FPS. So if you are eyeing an UltraWide monitor, your frames will be lower because the resolution will be higher.
    - What CPU would you recommend, AMD or Intel? AMD is winning the CPU battle right now. So Ryzen all the way.
    - Is it a smart call to buy a dedicated sound card? not unless you have a really great external 5.1 sound system. Most gamers opt for 2.1 or headsets.
    - Do most higher end video cards support more than 1 monitor? Because I'm looking to hook up 2 at most. Yes. Usually it will have 1 display port and 1 HDMI at the minimum. I would also recommend on whatever monitor you get, do not buy an equivalent equipped monitor. 1 great monitor (expensive). 1 regular monitor (inexpensive). (unless you're doing some kind of EyeInfinity setup)
    - is the onboard WIFI support usually good enough or should I install a dedicated one? Meh. I dont use the onboard one. Wired 100% of the time. If this isn't an option, the onboard would be fine.
    - what kind of case is needed to ensure it is future proof. All cases with ATX power supplies will support future motherboards of that format.

thanks!

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Question. Usually a PC has an SSD from which to boot, and optionally, and usually, another standard non-SSD drive to store shit on.

Well, other than price, is there any other reason to go for a standard hard drive for 2nd storage? Because if price is not an issue, than SSD's always have got non-SSD drives beat right?

Thanks.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Correct. SSDs are also 2-3x more reliable than spinning mechanical hard drives.

I have four SSds in my new pc. No spinning media.

Well, price is a MAJOR issue, still, especially if you're not in the US. There are crappy SSDs and the good ones are still really expensive. It boils down to what you need in the end: I still use an external 1.5TB drive which I bought ten years ago, and it works just fine. I just got myself a 4TB spinning drive for like $100 because I have a huge amount of data that I don't need to access quickly, but also if I lose it, wouldn't be a big deal.

On the other hand, my work machine is 500GB SSD for the system + 2TB SSD for the data. I didn't pay for that one.

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but whatevs!

I've gotten more than 20 calls today from spam numbers.

While eating dinner, one left a voice-mail.

When I tried to log into my VM, my password had been changed.

Kinda weirded out.What should I do?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Yeh that is weird. I haven't' had a VM password since 2006

I don't know that I've listened to a voicemail on my personal phone in years. I'll see what's transcribed, and if they were too mumbly for it to transcribe, well, tough luck.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I think they get that problem a lot because we're on average terrible with passwords.
    Download Keepass or use Lastpass. Set one master password which can be some long line of poetry you always remember.

Well, you guys have been a great help.

Lol.

Just to be clear. For you to want to access your VM on your phone, you have to dial your own number, and punch in a 4 digit code?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Just to be clear. For you to want to access your VM on your phone, you have to dial your own number, and punch in a 4 digit code?
    I just press the button on my phone that says Voice-mail, then enter my 4 digit code.

Meg: I am worried my cell phone has been compromised. I got a million fake calls yesterday and my voice-mail pin was changed. Can someone advise me what to do?

MC: LOLZ you still have voice-mail?

Meg: Yes. But that's not the point, my password was changed. Is that not worrisome?

MC: LOLZ your voice-mail has a password??

Meg: I'm seriously concerned here. I do a lot of banking and stuff on my phone. How do I find out if I've been compromised?

MC: LOLZ like you have to enter a 4 digit password??

Meg: ...

Call your provider? They can reset your password. I dont know what else to say.

The old password was 1 1 1 1, wasn't it???

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It was not.

And I was able to reset my password. That's not my concern.

My concern is that someone else was able to change my password.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast