Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Tech Support Thread

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Heh. I do have one and it's still in the box. Came free with my Google Home.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hey everyone (but mostly Duke). My daughter wants a gaming PC for Christmas so she can play Primal Carnage 2. But I don't wanna spend a shit ton of money, so I was thinking of getting a refurb. Any recommendations?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Whats the budget, and have you looked at our own company yet?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I would prefer to keep it under 700 bucks, and yeah, I looked at the company site. Not a whole lotta options at that price point. Plus, I'm not sure the game she wants to play actually exists.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

She might just be referring to Primal Carnage Extinction? The sequel was put on indefinite hold. But that's plenty to get a decent gaming rig.

And you're in luck because Amazon is having a sale on some monitors as we speak. $100 gets you your monitor.

https://deals.kinja.com/save-on-lapt...zon-1821212512

And $500 would get a solid budget system

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...sktop_Computer

Plenty of room to upgrade as you see fit moving forward.

You can also spend a little more to get a better graphics card. I'm personally a huge fan on Nvidia.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16883227771

Or do what i do and just get this.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-...1-r4/dpcwy00b2

Thanks, Duke - knew I could count on you. I was a little confused when she said Primal Carnage 2, cuz she already has extinction on the PS4 and plays it obsessively.

With that Microcenter link, I was actually thinking of getting her money towards one, and seeing if any other family members want to contribute as well, and head to Microcenter over the break and let her pick one out.

Hey everyone (but mostly Duke). Here's my situation. My iPhone is gone. Lost in the wilderness. It ain't coming back. A call to apple support to see if I had applecare coverage was fruitless. Next try is the carrier. If that fails, and if there is no way to recover any of the photos I've taken since I last sync'd to my desktop computer (several months ago, sigh), then I am seriously considering an android phone, but I don't even know where to start.

Here are my requirements:

• Tunes - need a way to play the Mp3s i downloaded from itunes on my phone. doesn't need to be itunes per se', some cloud service would suffice, but would definitely be nice to have a way to play mp3s that live on the device itself, because I camp often in places with no cellphone service, and I need my fucking tunes.
    • Camera - a good camera is a must.

price point would be in the USD 750 range, cuz that would be what an iphone 8 would cost me.

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by bac0n; 06-26-2019 at 01:21 AM.

My daughter switched to iPhone recently to be on same dimension as her friends. I don't understand how anyone uses such a brutally unfriendly device. Samsung Galaxy whatever the fuck model, imo. Good lord is it better in every single respect, again, imo. I'm on Galaxy 8s+ for 2 years +, and its still kickass. Great camera, but tbh I'm not super knowledgeable about camera specs.

Edit: I just checked Google Play store, looks like Apple Music has an Android app. And several other third party apps that link. Can't vouch for them, but looks like theres options there.
    Last edited by Skitch; 06-26-2019 at 01:47 AM.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting bacon
    Any recommendations?
    Duke will def hook you up, but in the meantime here's my goto: https://thewirecutter.com/electronics/smartphones/

I don't have the patience for loads of consumer research and these guys have everything covered. (I've blind bought an electric razor, a rice cooker, and a TV off their recommendations and they haven't steered me wrong yet.)

PS: Almost positive Google and Amazon both have mp3 services where you can upload your shit to the cloud. But that's Duke's territory and he's better with the details.

I have so many thoughts on this. Will respond thoroughly tomorrow morning.

Question: You said your phone is "gone" but then asked about recovering photos. Do you physically still have the phone?

In the meantime, check out the Google Pixel XL It's a $500 phone and all your photos automatically sync to your gmail account, for free, forever.

I've had this phone for about a month now to replace my flagship Google phone. I've been very happy with it.

His phone is somewhere in the rough terrain of South Dakota, between a river crossing and a few ridge lines.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    His phone is somewhere in the rough terrain of South Dakota, between a river crossing and a few ridge lines.
    Oh my that rules.

Yeh the photos are gone.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I have so many thoughts on this. Will respond thoroughly tomorrow morning.

Question: You said your phone is "gone" but then asked about recovering photos. Do you physically still have the phone?

In the meantime, check out the Google Pixel XL It's a $500 phone and all your photos automatically sync to your gmail account, for free, forever.

I've had this phone for about a month now to replace my flagship Google phone. I've been very happy with it.
    Music is the same way. You can upload up to 50,000 mp3s to Google Music and everything you buy on the store gets auto-stored there. It also has a spotify like service and you can get all your podcasts there too if you so wish.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Music is the same way. You can upload up to 50,000 mp3s to Google Music and everything you buy on the store gets auto-stored there. It also has a spotify like service and you can get all your podcasts there too if you so wish.
    I presume the google pixel allows you to store music on the device itself, for situations where you want to, say, blast Ride of the Valkyries out of a bluetooth speaker as you charge forth in a UTV through rough terrain in South Dakota, between a river crossing and a few ridge lines, miles away from any cellphone reception? (i'll zip up my side pocket this time, promise)

Yeah, just drag and drop mp3s and they appear in the app.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Yeah, just drag and drop mp3s and they appear in the app.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    Holy shit, really? I need to do this.

Okay, well, I went in to the AT&T store to sort shit out, and glory of glories, I had an insurance plan on my phone, so they're shipping me out a replacement, and I have an appt for monday to transfer all my shit over to it.

You win this round, Apple...

So, the replacement phone I got last year to replace the phone I left in SD won't turn on. So, I get on support with Apple, they say I need to turn off Find my Iphone before they can do anything.

Okay, fine, so I go to iCloud.com, try to log in, after several guesses, I get the password correct, and... oh, there's a two-factor authentication wall now. I need to type in a 6 digit code that they sent to my.... iphone that I can't get to turn on.

I'm done with this phone, and with Apple. Pretty much every kind of support they offer assumes you have a functioning phone.
    Last edited by bac0n; 08-12-2020 at 04:44 PM.

One of us!

One of us!

It's a done deal. I gave Apple one last chance to do right, and they fucked it up. My new Pixel 4XL should be arriving in the mail sometime in the next few days.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    It's a done deal. I gave Apple one last chance to do right, and they fucked it up. My new Pixel 4XL should be arriving in the mail sometime in the next few days.
    I said this before in the android thread maybe.. but you're overpaying with the 4XL. Flagship phones are dead. Get the 4a at a third oft he cost. It's my second "a" model Pixel phone. I had the 2a and currently have the 3a. Those pictures on my wife's instagram, were taken with the 3a (she loves it btw and she was apple her whole life). There's nothing the 4XL will do that the 4a won't.

Good to know for next time.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast