Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Manga Thread

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar

The Manga Thread

Technically this could be a part of the comic book thread, but since many of you seem to be into Urazawa, it might not be such a bad idea to have a manga thread on match-cut. (Though this might end up being just Qrazy and me yapping about Naruto.)

Lately I started reading Mysterious Girlfriend X, and still can't quite get a hang of it. It's overly cliche at a time -- perhaps intentionally. The idea is to give a classic, ie. worn-out, romcom formula some sexual spin. 3 episodes in, and I'm intrigued. Don't know how it'll fare out in the long run.

Some of the artwork are quite impressive.

"Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    The only current manga I'm reading is 20th Century Boys, Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, and Detroit Metal City.

Old manga I'm slowly catching up on: Monster (I only own two volumes and love it but sooo many volumes to catch up with) and Parasyte.

Various Manga volumes I own but haven't read yet: Battle Royale 1 & 2, Gunslinger Girl 1, Lone Wolf & Cub 1, Museum of Terror 1-3, Octopus Girl 2,3.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

I found an adaptation of Frankenstein by Junji Ito recently. It's pretty damn awesome. Ito's rendition of the monster is horrifying.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I found an adaptation of Frankenstein by Junji Ito recently. It's pretty damn awesome. Ito's rendition of the monster is horrifying.
    i am a mollusca-phobia, so i never really dare to check any of his work, but that sounds awesome.

I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm nearly done with Urasawa's Monster. I've read volume 15. I'm gonna start volume 16, and volumes 17 and 18 (end) are on their way to me. I can't believe I've torn through this book so fast, but it's damn hard to put down. And from the very beginning, it's been exquisite.

I should reread Monster again.
    Movie Theater Diary

i love debating with myself which one is better: 20th century boys or monster.

I like Pluto more than both.
    Movie Theater Diary

By the way, having now read a lot of Junji Ito's stuff, I'm beginning to think that Uzumaki is his weakest.
    Movie Theater Diary

I haven't read much manga yet, just Berserk, Lone Wolf & Cub, Samurai Executioner and some chapters of Yotsuba&!.

I'm hearing so much praise for Monster that I have to check that out.

I like Pluto more than both.
    i too love pluto, but it's a short series, and to me, hard to compare with the others.

I finished reading Monster's 18th and final volume some time in the last week. Then I read some reviews on goodreads.com and elsewhere and everyone was all like "It leaves so much unanswered" and "loose ends" and "needed to explain more" and I was like "what."

I hate that. I guess I don't give near as much of a shit about plot and background information and conspiratorial nonsense as most people do. Or most nerds, at any rate.

The conclusion of Monster was a perfect philosophical, moral, and emotional conclusion to one of the best-crafted graphic works I've ever read. That's what I care about.

Good. Now apply that to Battlestar Galactica and you get me.
    Movie Theater Diary

I respect where you're coming from, 8, though I don't agree.

We had a discussion on Shintaro Kago somewhere, right?
    Movie Theater Diary

on the latest issue of naruto.

[
    ]

What the fuck. Some guy tattooed a Maruo art on his arm.

Movie Theater Diary

I wonder if anyone has ever tattooed shit dribbling down their leg.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    on the latest issue of naruto.

[
    ]
    [
    ]

That's why I downloaded some Maruo a while back but never read it.

i've been arranging my manga shelves for the past two weeks. being absent from home for 11 years and constantly moving around tend to have my bookshelves in jumble. i estimate more than 6,000 mangas in my collection which is nothing for comics but quite a lot for a personal collection of mangas.

i am so happy seeing my babies getting in order day by day. ritch:

Granted I'm not reading Monster and I'm watching the anime but I'm not impressed in the slightest. There's enough there to keep me watching but I can't say the characters, the story, the quality of the animation or the style are very interesting.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Two very different things.
    Movie Theater Diary

Two very different things.
    Certainly in terms of animation quality and style but I feel criticisms of character and story carry over.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast