Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Series Discussion Thread

yeah, i really wasn't impressed with the bebop dub. if i watch it again it will be in japanese.

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    I've been waiting for Gundam 00 to hit DVD and today I finally saw them. Snagged both seasons right away. I was very surprised by how much I loved the series. Generally I don't really get into the mech anime, but I found the story fascinating. Best Buy did also have Code Geass, which is about the only other mech anime that I've liked.

But it seems that Best Buy has gutted their anime section. I've been waiting for a sale, but when I came back from being overseas for two weeks, their shelves were nearly bare. So I don't know if I missed a sale or something. When I ask the employees if they're phasing out anime, they claim they don't know. Maybe they're just putting me off. But then again those titles I mentioned above weren't there last month.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Anyone know what this is from?

[]
    That's from Perfect Blue by Satoshi Kon, may he rest in peace. :cry:
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

[youtube]66hSiRgbgX0&feature=related[/youtube]
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I prefer the Cowboy Bebop dub to the sub. Steve Blum is a God.
    Fuck yeah he is. Probably my favorite voice actor ever.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Having finished (and having had my life changed by) Mobile Suit Gundam, I've been watching its directly sequel series Zeta Gundam, and it, too, is PRETTY GREAT. Why everyone on Earth isn't Gundam fans I'll never understand.

Also been watching Revolutionary Girl Utena which is its own kind of amazing.

And there's a new Lupin III series I'm going to start watching today (it debuted in Japan last week) called "A Woman Named Fujiko." Its opening is basically Fujiko's naked breasts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkAPVhb3hs4 (NSFW)

Yeah, new Lupin III is pretty great.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    And there's a new Lupin III series I'm going to start watching today (it debuted in Japan last week) called "A Woman Named Fujiko." Its opening is basically Fujiko's naked breasts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkAPVhb3hs4 (NSFW)
    Where are you going to be watching this?

Really looking forward to it.

Having finished (and having had my life changed by) Mobile Suit Gundam, I've been watching its directly sequel series Zeta Gundam, and it, too, is PRETTY GREAT. Why everyone on Earth isn't Gundam fans I'll never understand.
    My favorite of all the early stuff is War in the Pocket, and the 4th movie, Char's Counter Attack.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)

4 minutes ago.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

www.sagesubs.com is getting them out about a day after they air in Japan (the first two are out). At some point, Funimation is going to start releasing them on Hulu the same day they air with subtitles, but Sage Subs is doing a pretty great job so far.

My favorite of all the early stuff is War in the Pocket, and the 4th movie, Char's Counter Attack.
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting to those. Probably going to watch War in the Pocket between Zeta and ZZ.

www.sagesubs.com is getting them out about a day after they air in Japan (the first two are out). At some point, Funimation is going to start releasing them on Hulu the same day they air with subtitles, but Sage Subs is doing a pretty great job so far.
    Thanks. I'll watch it this weekend.

Like I said, I'm really digging Lupin III: A Woman Called Mine Fujiko. But I may be enjoying Watanabe Shinichiro's new series, Kids on the Slope, even more. It's wonderful to see teenagers portrayed like teenagers. And the jazz is excellent.

i was just coming in to see if anyone was watching kids on the slope. i'm through two episodes and already in it's thrall. even if i keep wanting to refer to it as anitreme.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I watched the first five episodes of Kids on The Slope this week and I am completely in love. I want all of the episodes now.

I was really skeptical of Diebuster at first, but it wont me over. Really good series, though it can't quite live up to the legacy of Gunbuster, which is simply one of the greatest things ever made. Feels more like Tsurumaki's own FLCL than Anno's Gunbuster, but that's really okay.

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Hooray! New anime on Adult Swim.. or now Toonami I guess.

Deadman Wonderland has promise. I like the premise and the idea of a prison as amusement park for civilians. It's working for now as surreal nightmare for Ganta. The images of this poor kid pleading with his backstabbing defense attorney quickly evoked massive amounts of sympathy. I'm assuming the whole classroom slaughter was a set up for Ganta because otherwise I'm not sure why they would assume he would have done it simply because he survived.

Casshern Sins I'm not so sure of. The animation style is unique, but the story is relentlessly bleak. The metaphor of robots looking like people as they rust away is kind of obvious and I'm hoping it takes it to another level soon.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Kids on the Slope is over. Fantastic series and great representation of high school life. As to the ending, I really liked it:

[
    ]

The jazz in the show was fantastic and it made me want to pick up an instrument again.

My avatar is from the opening sequence and "Shocking seductive spiral" are words in the opening song.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sxottlan (view post)
    Hooray! New anime on Adult Swim.. or now Toonami I guess.
    Wha. . .what??? This made my fucking day! Now if I could just get cable. . .

Just from the promos, Deadman Wonderland looks like something I'd love.

EDIT: AND a new Lupin III series. Between all this and rewatching 90s cartoons a lot recently, my childhood is reborn.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Has anyone here watched through Baccano? (Qrazy I'm looking at you)

I watched the first four episodes and I think I need to read a synopsis of each episode after I watch it because I just have no idea who a lot of these characters are and I don't remember if some have showed up before or what they're doing. Should I just hunker down and breeze through it and then things will gel together? I'm not really sure, this sure seems to be an insanely chaotic series and from what I read it seems to get more chaotic as it goes along.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    Has anyone here watched through Baccano? (Qrazy I'm looking at you)

I watched the first four episodes and I think I need to read a synopsis of each episode after I watch it because I just have no idea who a lot of these characters are and I don't remember if some have showed up before or what they're doing. Should I just hunker down and breeze through it and then things will gel together? I'm not really sure, this sure seems to be an insanely chaotic series and from what I read it seems to get more chaotic as it goes along.
    I've watched it, not that big a fan but yeah story-wise it makes sense by the end.

I just finished Gurren Lagann. That was ridiculously satisfying. Feels almost as good as when I watched Gunbuster for the first time a few years ago. The shows actually have a lot in common, both structurally and thematically. The animation is so breathtakingly amazing so often, I could just watch drills all day. Show's Gainax as hell, and I love it for that. A really astounding work.

Meanwhile, I have plans to see Evangelion Rebuild 3 in the theater with a friend next weekend, but I don't know if I can wait that long.

I just finished Gurren Lagann. That was ridiculously satisfying. Feels almost as good as when I watched Gunbuster for the first time a few years ago. The shows actually have a lot in common, both structurally and thematically. The animation is so breathtakingly amazing so often, I could just watch drills all day. Show's Gainax as hell, and I love it for that. A really astounding work.

Meanwhile, I have plans to see Evangelion Rebuild 3 in the theater with a friend next weekend, but I don't know if I can wait that long.
    The raperatic track 'Libera Me From Hell' kicking in at the beginning of episode 27. So good.

Let me know how Rebuild 3 is.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    The raperatic track 'Libera Me From Hell' kicking in at the beginning of episode 27. So good.

Let me know how Rebuild 3 is.
    I don't know what I was expecting from Rebuild 3, but I don't think it was that. A girl behind me in the theater asked "What the hell did I just watch?" right after the lights came up.

Not that I think it's terrible. In fact, it's absolutely amazing in many moments. But goodness, it's different (the plot diverges from the original so much that the idea that this is a "remake series" is downright laughable now). It feels like the third of four parts, or rather, the first part of a finale. I understand why Anno wanted to release parts 3 and 4 simultaneously/in quick succession (if what we're seeing now was even his original vision--nothing form the "next time" preview was in this one, I don't think).

Also, never recommend to anyone to watch these instead of the series. The series is essential viewing for understand these movies. I can only imagine that will be more the case in number 4. This is a wholly new work and it's doing something different (which at this point, I'm super glad of, because it will have taken up almost a decade of Anno and Tsurumaki's professional lives when it's completed (allegedly in 2013, but I'm not holding my breath (though I really hope it's less than a year away so I can see it))).

The spoiler below isn't really a spoiler for the movie, but some information about the strange format of the title that suggests the nature of the Rebuild series.
    [
    ]

I hope you don't consider any of the above an unwelcome spoiler. I like the movie. It was a hell of a thing. I'll probably see it again soon.

I want to see that thing.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast