Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Series Discussion Thread

Anime Series Discussion Thread

Because I've thought for a while that we need one.

To get it started, my favorite anime series as they seem to me at this very moment:

1. Paranoia Agent
    2. FLCL
    3. Azumanga Daioh
    4. Cowboy Bebop
    5. Neon Genesis Evangelion
    6. Excel Saga
    7. Samurai Champloo
    8. Boogiepop Phantom
    9. GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
    10. Ebichu Minds the House

I don't watch much anime, or television in general, but I did recently view the entire run of Berserk, which was pretty damn good. It took a couple episodes to get rolling, but as the political intrigue escalated the show found a compelling groove. To that extent, however, I found the supernatural elements periphery to the show's overall quality and just kind of uninteresting as a result. It does come together nicely at the end if taken as a visual metaphor for Griffith's abhorrent actions.

Susumu Hirasawa composed the music for the show, so of course I loved that about it quite a bit. Just amazing, beautiful music. A stark contrast to the opening and closing themes, performed by what band I have no idea, but the laughable attempts at English were a strange delight.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Best Boy
    one of my favorite recent series that i recommend to people is Gankutsou: The Count of Monte Cristo. it takes a few episodes to get going but it's a fantastic series and it looks amazing as well.

I start by just listing some favorites:

1. LAIN
    2. Boogiepop Phantom
    3. Macross
    4. Cowboy Bebop
    5. Galaxy Express 999

For some reason, I decided to watch Lain mostly while nearly asleep. I should give it another shot.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mr. Valentine (view post)
    one of my favorite recent series that i recommend to people is Gankutsou: The Count of Monte Cristo. it takes a few episodes to get going but it's a fantastic series and it looks amazing as well.
    did it already end? how many episodes are there? i'm always interested, but still wait for the series to complete before diving into it.

D is right. LAIN is effing awesome.

and i'm among few soul on this planet who doesn't get Cowboy Bebob.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Best Boy
    Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    did it already end? how many episodes are there? i'm always interested, but still wait for the series to complete before diving into it.

D is right. LAIN is effing awesome.

and i'm among few soul on this planet who doesn't get Cowboy Bebob.
    it's 24 episodes long and ended back in 2005 although the region 1 dvd releases finished about a year and a half ago. i watched it all through netflix.

LAIN is truly a great work of science-fiction. It is one of the most true depictions of the genre I have experienced outside of print media.

Beyond books, I think that anime represents the best of what science fiction has to offer.

Best Boy
    yeah Lain and Boogiepop Phantom are both pretty awesome although i haven't watched since their releases so i'm due for a rewatch on both.

my local bestbuy pulls a half price on some animes. there are two series that i'm particular interested in: Burst Angel and Coyote Ragtime Show. anyone ever heard positive or negative thing about them? BA looks like a babelicious/mecha show, while CRS looks like it contains more "story."

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I fucking LOVE Lain. I went broke purchasing those DVDs so I could finish the series when I was in high school.

Can't stand Lain. The visual storytelling is so poor. There's barely anything tying individual shots together. Here's everything I've seen (to completion... started and abandoned other series or am still working on them)... I'm probably forgetting a couple anyway.

Not counting OVAs. Bear in mind this is a very loose list. It's only representative of my taste in terms of the overall flow of the list. That is to say I prefer the shows at the top to the shows at the bottom but plenty of shows could move up or down three or four places.

1. Cowboy Bebop
    2. Seirei No Moribito
    3. Paranoia Agent
    4. Mushishi
    5. Death Note
    6. Naruto (excluding filler episodes)
    7. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    8. Last Exile
    9. Fullmetal Alchemist
    10. Code Geass
    11. Now and Then, Here and There
    12. Welcome to the NHK
    13. Great Teacher Onizuka
    14. Kaiba
    15. Samurai Champloo
    16. Hikaru No Go
    17. Neon Genesis Evangelion
    18. Trigun
    19. Kemonozume
    20. Berserk
    21. Black Lagoon
    22. Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Season 1
    23. Full Metal Panic
    24. Full Metal Panic? Fumoffo
    25. Ergo Proxy
    26. Baccano
    27. Elfen Lied
    28. Ninja Scroll
    29. Kino's Journey
    30. Macross Frontier
    31. Kaiji
    32. Serial Experiments Lain

Actually to be honest the only one on the list I haven't finished yet is Lain. Maybe it picks up in the second half.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    my local bestbuy pulls a half price on some animes. there are two series that i'm particular interested in: Burst Angel and Coyote Ragtime Show. anyone ever heard positive or negative thing about them? BA looks like a babelicious/mecha show, while CRS looks like it contains more "story."
    Haven't seen either but go with Burst Angel. Very few mechas rise above the usual tedium.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I shouldn't have watched Lain exclusively after arriving home at 1:30 am from closing shifts at the video store. I don't remember anything about it except it had a nifty opening.

I should give it another shot one day, while awake.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I shouldn't have watched Lain exclusively after arriving home at 1:30 am from closing shifts at the video store. I don't remember anything about it except it had a nifty opening.

I watched it when I was awake and remember it being crap. I also dislike the opening.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

For some reason, I decided to watch Lain mostly while nearly asleep. I should give it another shot.

I said nearly the exact same thing on the very same page about 15 months ago. I suck.

I'm aware the show might suck, too. But I can't really say that I've watched it as it is.

I said nearly the exact same thing on the very same page about 15 months ago. I suck.

I'm aware the show might suck, too. But I can't really say that I've watched it as it is.
    You rewatch it and I'll finally finish it and we can compare notes.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    You rewatch it and I'll finally finish it and we can compare notes.
    Sounds good. I think I'll start Seirei first.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Anyone ever seen Gunsmith Cats? That was another of my favorites.

Sounds good. I think I'll start Seirei first.
    Sounds better. Maybe I'll finish Outlaw Star and my friend wants me to watch Haibane Renmei and then I'll do Lain. Also been meaning to watch Gungrave, Claymore, Xam'd: Lost Memories, Monster, Gankutsuou, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Boogiepop, Terra e..., The Tower of Druaga, Michiko to Hatchin and others.

In terms of longer anime has anyone here seen Gintama or D. Grayman? Both have great premises but I'm always nervous about starting a longer anime, I like to have some strong recommendations first.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Thirdmango's been telling me to watch Bleach and One Piece and Naruto for years. I have a hard time with anime series that run over one season in length, if for no other reason than I like to support good series by buying their American DVD releases. However, the sheer size of those behemoths make that kind of a ridiculously costly prospect.

Though, as I've lately been finding myself clearing through entire series at a pretty rapid pace, it seems more doable in terms of the time commitment.

The longest anime series I've watched is GTO.

Thirdmango's been telling me to watch Bleach and One Piece and Naruto for years. I have a hard time with anime series that run over one season in length, if for no other reason than I like to support good series by buying their American DVD releases. However, the sheer size of those behemoths make that kind of a ridiculously costly prospect.

Though, as I've lately been finding myself clearing through entire series at a pretty rapid pace, it seems more doable in terms of the time commitment.

The longest anime series I've watched is GTO.
    Yeah I've been told to watch Bleach as well but have held off for similar reasons (well more time commitment). Naruto is a mixed bag. Some of it is just phenomenal but it does often get into superfluous filler territory and Shippuuden in particular is absolutely horribly paced. The series also isn't completed (I'm reading the manga and I think they're about 150 or so ahead of the series and it's still not done) so that's a frustration. Also to a certain degree the series is about the whole training to fight tougher enemies idea so it can get repetitive. Despite that many of the characters and narratives are great. Maybe check out the first season and see how you like it, the first season does have a single story arc to it so that's a plus.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Best Buy has all anime 50% off. I got Ghost in the Shell2: Innocence in a nifty tin with the score, and the complete GITS: Stand Alone Complex for about $30. Score!

Bleach is quite good. It has its moments of forehead-slap-ness, but it still is pretty interesting. You're right about it being a costly deal though.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Anyone ever seen Gunsmith Cats? That was another of my favorites.
    never watched it, but i like the manga. pretty sure the anime is even better since it's quite famous for its technicality.

and :rep: for you, sir. i fucking love lain.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Sounds better. Maybe I'll finish Outlaw Star...

In terms of longer anime has anyone here seen Gintama or D. Grayman?
    i have been thinking about outlaw star just today. it's not a great show by any standard, but there are a couple of episodes that just way above its average. in fact those few episodes are so freaking awesome that the show's slightly recommendable.

i read some issues of D. Grayman, the manga. and think it's a fine copycat of so many series out there. nothing extraordinarily standout, but nothing offensively bad either.

actually just like bleach. which i still read for the artwork, but totally give up in the narrative department.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast