Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Anime Series Discussion Thread

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    When I saw that tank episode on Adult Swim one night, I ran out and bought the set. That episode is A+
    And everything concerning Kuze is incredible.

Season 2!

I got into a bunch of anime series over the last year or so, catching up on things that were or are widely praised and that I never really got a chance to start. But I've seen a good few items (not in order of favorites, just a list):

1. Commented on the Netflix Voltron series elsewhere. Incredible overall.

2. One-Punch Man. Hilarious sense of humor and gobsmacking animation at its peak. First season is basically a masterpiece of anime parody and also fucking badass at depicting exactly what it's poking fun at.

3. Boku no hero academia. Shit, if I had seen this at the age these shonen anime are aimed at I woulda pissed myself having something this cool to watch. Few shows I've seen get the blood pumping and have the visceral, heart-on-sleeve sincerity of this show.

4. Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?. Heard about this, gave it a watch. Fun if you are into RPGs or MMOs, tho some of the gender/sexual politics are kinda dicey, even for an anime aimed at young boys.

5. Overlord. Very similar to above, though has some terrific animation and action scenes. The narrative as it has just recently ended is sorta losing me re: the main character's motivations and goodness/badness.

6. Naruto. The classic. I have to admit, I did not watch the whole unabridged show, with all the repetition and filler intact--"hey this dude lost his pet in the woods," "hey this bitch wants to learn how to make pancakes." I know I missed some character-building episodes, but absolutely not. I watched the abridged version and it was still untold hours of content and I think I got the gist of it. Great show. I understand its popularity now, although fuck Sasuke. Fuck that selfish little shitbag. I don't feel sorry for you at all and Sakura takes you back like instantly after the world's most pitiful apology just cause she fell in love with you when y'all were eight or something. Fuck Sasuke.

7. Mob Psycho 100. Super good stuff, very spiritually similar to One-Punch Man in some regards. One problem a lot of these superpower shonen anime have is jobbing though. So much jobbing.

8. Devilman Crybaby. Holy shit. What the ever-loving fuck. Don't take any substances while watching this show or you might kill your entire family. Terrific art style and just a mad, wild narrative.

9. Death Note. Haven't seen Netflix version. This is great, though. Really compelling and fascinating twistyness to it. Super fun to watch, although when [
    ], the show feels the loss. Not as strong a finish.

10. Castlevania. Commented elsewhere. Badass and vibrant and actually gives a shit to tell the Castlevania story, one of loss and regret and mournful loneliness. Imagine that.

11. Hunter x Hunter. See comments on Boku no hero. If I had this to watch when I was a little snot-nosed kid, I never would have gone outside, even though I'd be brimming with energy to have my own adventures. However, this suffers from some appalling, crippling repetition and exposition overload, especially in the much-loved Chimera Ant arc, which could have been like 20 episodes fewer and been totally fucking fine Jesus stop saying the same goddamn things over and over again. Otherwise, this is just a killer show.

12. Attack on Titan. I'm not really all that invested in the story--humanity, titans, walls, corruption, etc.--but the animation can be incredible at times. I feel like I fell asleep through parts of the first season, though, but when the show hits its stride it's a mean motherfucker.
    Last edited by Wryan; 01-23-2019 at 01:44 AM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Another solid season of RWBY came to an end. Highlight? [
    ]

Producer
    Finished Neon Genesis Evangelion, finally.

That I think the first truly, really great episode is "Lilliputian Hitcher" (the 13th one) makes me feel like I was watching the series wrong a bit, since the reason is a change of pace from sidelining the three kids, expanding its world by having the adults dealing with a problem by themselves, and thus modulating the angst down a tad for once. I know about the series' background, including Anno's depression reflected into his characters and expressionistic animation. But when the first half's characterization and storytelling don't catch up yet with this self-expression, it often leads to a bluntness that overwhelms everything else. The second half is significantly better though, as the story gains more complexity and epic sweep to match its frenzied emotional style. And if the final two episodes don't fully satisfy, their unconventional, ultimately therapeutic expressionism are bracing enough to compensate as an end point.

Now onto End of Evangelion...
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Chihayafuru, S1: This is the story of Chihaya, a girl with a head eternally in the clouds who dreams of becoming a champion of Karuta, a Japanese card game of fast reflexes, sharp listening and Japanese poetry, while longing for a childhood friend, Arata. This season shows those two first met, how she fell in love with Karuta and how later in life she, along with Taichi, another childhood friend and rival of Arata, meet in high school and form a Karuta club, as Taichi completely falls for her, most likely setting up a future love triangle (if she ever finds out about his feelings, because she is a total airhead). For me, this season is at it's best when it focuses on intricacies of the game it self as Chihaya, Taichi and the team they eventually form, learn it and get better at it, with the matches itself full of different strategies and changes of momentum.

Chihayafuru, S2 begins a little slow, mostly focused on introducing new characters Akihiro, a talented, but reckless newcomer to first syllable Karuta and Sumire, a recently dumped 1st year who initially gets in the school's Karuta club to chase Taichi and eventually gets hooked by the game itself. They are two welcomed additions to our main team and allow to explore further several facets of our original staff, particularly Taichi's unrequited crush on Chihaya and Destomu's embrace of strategy and analytics (that's right, a card game has a guy freaking Moneyballing the competition) even at the expense of of some of his teammates' trust. However, the season takes steam by the fourth episode by which the season becomes focused on Karuta tournaments almost non-stop (sans a recap episode a little after the middle), first with team regionals, followed by nationals and an individual tournament. This stretch of episodes is almost scary in how efficiently written it is, constantly setting up elements like Taichi's sheer bad luck, Desktomu's analytical expertise and Akihiro's almost counterintutive drive to play in tournaments (even when it hurts his team), and of course, Chihaya's further development as well as setbacks as a Karuta player and continuing crush on childhood friend and Karuta extraordinaire Arata. This season delivers in all fronts.
    Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

While I still have some issues with Log Horizon 2, it does get better, specially on the second half. I hope to see more of the Odyssey Knights further down the road (death as a drug sounds like a neat concept, at least in this universe) and the possibility of creating a path between the real world and Elder Tale does give the show a more palpable endgame. I liked Roe 2 and Kanami (the part of me that craves melodrama wants Akatsuki and Minori at least believing Kanami's baby is Shiroe or something like that, just to make them feel a bit insecure or jealous) and I hope to see more than the small cameos they had this season. Kanami looks like best girl material.

First time ☆

Princess Connect! Reive (S1) based on a videogame I know nothing about, it's a story about Yuki, a mope who wakes up with no memories in a Medieval/Fantasy/video game-like world, where he ends up forming a party with three girls: Kokkoro, an elf who is, like, subservient to Yuki, Pecorine, a peppy and super strong girl with big boobs and a bigger stomach and Kyaru, a cat girl who is, like, the biggest tsundere with Pecorine and who's secretly (and reluctantly) plotting against the group.

Although I heard people comparing it to Isekai comedy Konosuba, Princess Connect is by far a more kind-hearted show which might not bring out the laughs of KonoSuba, but it's still pleasant and has a warmth that KonoSuba doesn't. It also steadily improvs through the season (the last two episodes, specially, which were very good). Everyone could use some more characterization (specially Yuki who never goes beyond Forrest Gump if he were brain dead), but it at least contains a fair share of best girls particularly Pecorine and Kyaru (I hope they become a couple. It's clear this is where it's going, don't be cowards show creators).

Domestic Girlfriend, S1 is the story of a high school guy, who, trying to get over a crush he has on his teacher, goes to a mixer, meets a cute, but odd girl and has casual sex with her. However, things get messy once his dad decides to remarry and oh surprise! Turns out he's remarrying the mom of that odd girl and the teacher he's crushing about. All of this followed by tons of twists and turns, love triangles and sex (the uncensored version is on the verge of being a vanilla hentai).

As you can see, the premise is sketchy as shit (I even had flashbacks to The Graduate in mind when writing this), and prone to tons of melodrama; however it's for the most part well executed with characters that are on the limit of being grounded and over the top soapy, which makes the drama more engrossing (hell, whether you think this show is engrossing or utter shit, it's impossible not to keep watching), even if the leads are for the most part, very selfish and the show's message (If it has one) is quite a muddled message.

It also has a an OP which is straight up fire.

FLCL Alternative, the third installment of the popular cult anime now focusing on the misadventures of Kana, a high school who spends most of her days hanging out with her three friends Mossan, Hijiri and Pets until she crosses paths with Haruko and the craziness that comes with her.

Unlike FLCL and FLCL Progressive, Alternative is a little more of an ensemble show, not only focusing on Kana, but also giving an episode centered on each of her friends as their friendship begins to quickly change as they enter adulthood, face weird alien shenanigans and end up in the middle of Mecha fights. The show is fast paced, quirky, fun, beautifully animated and ends with an appropriate mind screw. The only thing I miss (which Progressive also lacks) is the wild, almost out of control experimentation of the first installment. For the most part, the wild swings in mood, atmosphere and animation styles are gone, replaced with a little more clarity. While still is a good watch, that FLCL uniqueness is just not quite there.

First time ☆

Where can these shows be found?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Where can these shows be found?
    Legally? Crunchyroll or HIDive. Although Domestic Girlfriend's uncensored is only on HiDive.

First time ☆

Thanks.

No problem.

First time ☆

BNA: Brand New Animal: Well, I am digging anime's spin on the anthropomorphic animal trope, which seems to be getting a bit of traction as of late, now to explore a bit what happens when a group of people (or beastmen in this case) from different backgrounds, but who are equally oppressed are forced to live in basically a giant ghetto. The story is about Michiru, a human who suddenly turns into a Tanuki and is forced to move to Animacity, a place where all beastmen have been forced to live and as she looks for a cure for her condition, she meets Shirou, a brooding and seemingly immortal wolf detective who tries to protect beastmen from humans and themselves. They both eventually learn to care and trust each other as they explore the city and find out about a conspiracy that could have world shattering consequences.

While the story is really fun and often goes to some pretty unexpected places (and it's hard not to root for Michiru), I found myself even more fascinated when BNA, through the eyes of our naive protagonist, explored the inner workings of the brand new Animacity, the boiling tensions among it's inhabitants as well as their resentment towards the humans, who have basically been oppressing them since ever; focusing on different institutions such as it's organized crime, sports, government (gave me some slight flashbacks to The Wire in that regard) and religion, turning the city into a character on itself with the aid of Trigger's gorgeous animation, which focuses more on experimentation, bright colors and noirish atmospherics.

The only problem I had with it is the way they took the race allegory in the last episodes, implying at first that beastmen couldn't get along in the long term because of biological reasons, only to be fixed by a religion... until that fails too, needing a Deus Ex Machina to fix that. That handling of that aspect was muddled at best.

Really good show overall.
    Last edited by Philip J. Fry; 08-19-2020 at 11:14 PM.

First time ☆

To LOVE-Ru, S1 (+ OVA's) is the story of how the life of one kid named Rito gets thrown into chaos when a naive, fun-loving alien princess named Lala literally crashes into his life and accidentally turns him into her fiance. The show is consistently hilarious, packed with fanservice and full of best girls. For the most part, I don't remember individual episodes, since in many of them the plot was left in second place and most of the characters didn't have much of an arc (Rito and Haruna, his school crush, are perhaps the only characters with one, and they're pretty thin at them), instead looking to pack it with jokes, jokes and more jokes. The show succeeds at that.

Aggretsuko, S3, which follows shy, penniless and neurotic Retsuko as she tries to make sense of a life going nowhere still remains just... so... goddamn relatable, dealing with heartbreak, everyday economic struggles and the search for happiness. And Haida, Retsuko's hopelessly in love with the titular racoon girl, gets in my nerves. Dude is, like, my worst parts turned into a character.

First time ☆

Well guys, if there's a can't miss anime right now, To Your Eternity is the one. Written by the same author of A Silent Voice and with a very heavy Ghibli-feel, it goes from epic, to tense and to heartbreaking in a pinch. Five episodes in and it already feels like a classic.

And it has a banger OP!

First time ☆

So... anyone else watching Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san? 'Cause that show is just the right combination of funny, raunchy and wholesome (so wholesome).

For me, it's been this year's comfort food, for sure.
    [
    ]

First time ☆

Fourth season of Castlevania is terrific. A little overwritten at times, but that's hardly a surprise by this point. But I did so enjoy it letting characters marinate for longer than you'd expect. The action is awesome, I love the characters, and the story is super cool. And surprise work from [
    ]. A great capper for the series, all things considered. I wonder if they will spin off some other material for other characters left standing.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Fourth season of Castlevania is terrific. A little overwritten at times, but that's hardly a surprise by this point. But I did so enjoy it letting characters marinate for longer than you'd expect. The action is awesome, I love the characters, and the story is super cool. And surprise work from [
    ]. A great capper for the series, all things considered. I wonder if they will spin off some other material for other characters left standing.
    Gotta watch this one. I watched and enjoyed the first season, but kinda forgot about it afterwards.

First time ☆

*Dies of laughter*

First time ☆

Halfway thru Jujutsu Kaisen. It's excellent. Some astonishing animation, and I dig the story line. Characters are great so far. And the end-credits song/animation is a banger:

--Homer

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Anime lovers. Is there anything similar to Castlevania's style you can recommend?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Have you seen Seis Manos? It isn't, like, about vampires and shit, but it's the same studio and has this 70's martial arts film and blaxploitation aesthetic. It's good shit.

First time ☆

Blood of Zeus is also the same company. If you dig mythology it's great.

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Blood of Zeus is also the same company. If you dig mythology it's great.
    I'm so starting it this week.

First time ☆

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast