Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Series Discussion Thread

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I actually generally have a policy of avoiding the novel or comic form of any television or film projects. I'll go back and explore those later, but I find I want my viewing... untainted?

Not that I think there's anything wrong with the way number8's doing things or anything; just ain't my way.
    That would probably be ideal, since you can watch it to get the experience and then read the source material to get a fuller scope. I could just do that, but I dunno... Maybe I just have to admit to myself that I consider comics a superior medium to film.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I think I've finally figured out my aversion to anime shows. It took reading the Welcome to NHK manga and remembering you guys raving about the anime for me to figure it out.

Most popular anime shows are based on manga, right? If they're straight adaptations, I think I'm just more inclined to read than to watch. Unfortunately, most of them are straight adaptations, and I don't like that. The reason I love cartoons like Batman: TAS and Justice League is that they're not--they create original stories, original timelines, they even reshape the characters to be different from their comic book counterparts. I like being able to differentiate. It annoys me when I watch an anime and a certain scene is toned down or handled not as well as they did in the manga.

I think about the two anime shows I love: Paranoia Agent and Cowboy Bebop. Both original creations. Whenever I hear about a certain acclaimed show, my first instinct is to seek out the manga it's based on. Then after I've read it, I would lose interest in seeing the adaptation. Case in point: GTO. I have the entire manga series collected. I have never and don't think I'll ever watch the anime. Same with Berserk, Dragon Ball Z, Monster, etc.
    That's pretty reasonable. Once I moved to the Naruto manga I now have no interest in watching the horribly paced show. In general though I prefer the anime to the manga so I'd rather watch the anime first then read the manga. But I usually only read the manga if there's content I'm missing... i.e. the show didn't continue long enough or isn't there yet... for that reason I'll probably read Berserk eventually since the anime ending sucked horribly.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    That's pretty reasonable. Once I moved to the Naruto manga I now have no interest in watching the horribly paced show.
    speaking of which, i have gone through the onemanga archive. that's really crazy. i feel bad for pain, since i guess kichimoto's about to kill him off. what a cool villain!
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    speaking of which, i have gone through the onemanga archive. that's really crazy. i feel bad for pain, since i guess kichimoto's about to kill him off. what a cool villain!
    [
    ]
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

[
    ]
    [
    ]

[
    ]
    [
    ]
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Watched the third episode of Serei no Moribito. Very good stuff so far.

I bought the remastered set of Berserk today for half price brand new...$15. Sold my old set for a steal ($10) to a friend. Good day.

Watched the third episode of Serei no Moribito. Very good stuff so far.
    When I first heard the opening song I thought to myself... retarded... but it grew on me (the opening song). The rest of the show is just good stuff with only a couple of lulls.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Syc how are your viewings coming along?

Lovejuice are you caught up on Naruto?
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Still on Seirei--hadn't watched an episode in like a week but got through episode 7 last night. I really like the show, but unlike most shows, I'm not feeling as compelled to marathon it and finish the whole thing in a week. Its pacing is conducive to a more relaxed viewing schedule, though it never ceases to be intriguing.

I'm very interested to see where this is going, since it has evaded my initial impression that it was going to be a traveling show like Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. I'm especially curious about all the characters the show continues to focus on that I'd expected to be discarded or at least backseated.

Lovejuice are you caught up on Naruto?
    [
    ]

I've had the Seirei theme song stuck in my head all day.

It's not obnoxious or anything. I like it more than I did initially, but I don't love it. It does, however, work really well with the opening visuals.

I've had the Seirei theme song stuck in my head all day.

It's not obnoxious or anything. I like it more than I did initially, but I don't love it. It does, however, work really well with the opening visuals.
    This is the twooooof fwummm maaaa haaaaarttt!!!
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

[
    ]
    [
    ]
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Still on Seirei--hadn't watched an episode in like a week but got through episode 7 last night. I really like the show, but unlike most shows, I'm not feeling as compelled to marathon it and finish the whole thing in a week. Its pacing is conducive to a more relaxed viewing schedule, though it never ceases to be intriguing.

I'm very interested to see where this is going, since it has evaded my initial impression that it was going to be a traveling show like Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. I'm especially curious about all the characters the show continues to focus on that I'd expected to be discarded or at least backseated.
    Don't you love the spirit world? So cool.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Watched first two seasons of Baki The Grappler. Not bad, not great.

[
    ]
    [
    ]
    one thing that i find unique and really like about akatsuki is this feeling of fraternity. i won't go so far as call it teamwork spirit or sympathy. (they are bad guys after all.) but you can sense, amid the bickering, rivalry and back-stabbing, they all respect each other as the 9/10 most powerful ninjas. that actually puts the comic slightly better than average male mangas in my book.

[
    ]
    one thing that i find unique and really like about akatsuki is this feeling of fraternity. i won't go so far as call it teamwork spirit or sympathy. (they are bad guys after all.) but you can sense, amid the bickering, rivalry and back-stabbing, they all respect each other as the 9/10 most powerful ninjas. that actually puts the comic slightly better than average male mangas in my book.
    [
    ]
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I'm 19 episodes in and will probably finish Seirei no moribito over the weekend. One thing I really, really like about the show is that while the characters are working at cross purposes (or at least utilizing conflicting means), there is not a villain or even a "bad" person among them.

Hey, I finished Seirei! That was really great! Definitely had a Princess Mononoke vibe to it. I love how sincerely anti-violence and pro-cooperation, pro-humanity, pro-environment it is.

Last couple episodes got me all teared up.

I'm somewhat out of the loop so I need recommendations: is there anything that came out these past few years that's worth my time? I'm thinking good sci-fi, with real concepts, like Ergo Proxy. I also enjoyed other genres when the animation or the concept is fresh enough, like Champloo for period samurai anime etc. Fantasy is good too. Steampunk... Seirei looks nice from the previews but I'll have to check out some more to get the feel. Right now I'm not enjoying character animation, though "Mononoke feel" certainly is a positive sign in my book.

I appreciate any insight.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I'm somewhat out of the loop so I need recommendations: is there anything that came out these past few years that's worth my time? I'm thinking good sci-fi, with real concepts, like Ergo Proxy. I also enjoyed other genres when the animation or the concept is fresh enough, like Champloo for period samurai anime etc. Fantasy is good too. Steampunk... Seirei looks nice from the previews but I'll have to check out some more to get the feel. Right now I'm not enjoying character animation, though "Mononoke feel" certainly is a positive sign in my book.

I appreciate any insight.
    None of these really fit your desires perfectly but they're all worth checking out.

# Seirei No Moribito
    # Paranoia Agent
    # Mushishi
    # Death Note
    # Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    # Code Geass
    # Now and Then, Here and There
    # Kaiba
    # Kemonozume
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

None of these really fit your desires perfectly but they're all worth checking out.

# Seirei No Moribito
    # Paranoia Agent
    # Mushishi
    # Death Note
    # Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    # Code Geass
    # Now and Then, Here and There
    # Kaiba
    # Kemonozume
    Thanks for taking the time, Qrazy. I've had Paranoia Agent on my "to see" list for ages, perhaps it's time to give it a go. From what I've seen, Death Note, Code Geass and Now and Then... (was thinking of different show) all seem to be outside of my field of interest. I will do research on the rest now and report back.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Thanks for taking the time, Qrazy. I've had Paranoia Agent on my "to see" list for ages, perhaps it's time to give it a go. From what I've seen, Death Note, Code Geass and Now and Then... (was thinking of different show) all seem to be outside of my field of interest. I will do research on the rest now and report back.
    I assume you've seen Last Exile in terms of steampunk?
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast