Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Series Discussion Thread

Apparently there's a Saint Seiya reboot/sequel series in the works, with a new character becoming the Pegasus warrior.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I was wondering if there was a thread dedicated to anime here! I found myself to be a bigger fan of anime with a more serious tone, but a short list of my favorites includes Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Lupin III, Android Kikaider and InuYasha (thank you Adult Swim). I'm trying to get back into it after a long hiatus; from that short list and my preferences (as well as my taste in film), I was wondering what do you guys recommend?
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    If you like long animes that never end like Inuyasha then Bleach, Naruto and One Piece are all good in those areas. Another one people will usually go to is Full Metal Alchemist. Do the brotherhood version though not the first one. I'm about to start the original Gundam which I know Sycophant just finished and loved. If you haven't watched Samurai Champloo yet that should probably be next on the list since it's done by the same guy as Cowboy Bebop. One i really like is Great Teacher Onizuka. Trigun is a pretty decent 26er.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    If you like long animes that never end like Inuyasha then Bleach, Naruto and One Piece are all good in those areas. Another one people will usually go to is Full Metal Alchemist. Do the brotherhood version though not the first one. I'm about to start the original Gundam which I know Sycophant just finished and loved. If you haven't watched Samurai Champloo yet that should probably be next on the list since it's done by the same guy as Cowboy Bebop. One i really like is Great Teacher Onizuka. Trigun is a pretty decent 26er.
    I actually prefer those with that do end after 26 or so episodes. What's the consensus on Death Note?

615 Film
    Letterboxd

if you're doing 26 Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent is 13 and it is amazing, Neon Genesis Evangelion is very interesting, I haven't watched Death Note. Probably the next on my docket is Bucanno.

if you're doing 26 Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent is 13 and it is amazing, Neon Genesis Evangelion is very interesting, I haven't watched Death Note. Probably the next on my docket is Bucanno.
    I found Baccano really uninteresting. Death Note is great.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

As Thirdmango mentioned, I just watched the original Mobile Suit Gundam, and it was amazing. Better than I'd dared hope it would be.

I'm also watching Revolutionary Girl Utena now, and that show is beautiful and insane.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I actually prefer those with that do end after 26 or so episodes. What's the consensus on Death Note?
    I can see you really digging Death Note. It's fantastic.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

I'm halfway through Samurai Champloo. I dig it a lot, but it's nowhere near the greatness of Cowboy Bebop.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is good stuff.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is good stuff.
    I just started watching the original FMA series, and I'm loving it. Great stories and characters.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I just started watching the original FMA series, and I'm loving it. Great stories and characters.
    stop watching it. And watch Brotherhood instead, you'll thank me later.

To be clear, I loved the original FMA until the ending was one of the worst endings I've ever seen of any tv show or movie ever. It was one of the biggest let downs I've ever seen and spoiled me to the whole show. Until I found out the original FMA follows the manga through about the first 40 episodes but then the people in charge who were not the original writer wanted to finish it in 52 episodes decided to go all wonky and finish it in such a weird fashion that it's the worst. Brotherhood was started after the manga ended and is going to follow the manga and include the good parts of the original FMA.

stop watching it. And watch Brotherhood instead, you'll thank me later.

To be clear, I loved the original FMA until the ending was one of the worst endings I've ever seen of any tv show or movie ever. It was one of the biggest let downs I've ever seen and spoiled me to the whole show. Until I found out the original FMA follows the manga through about the first 40 episodes but then the people in charge who were not the original writer wanted to finish it in 52 episodes decided to go all wonky and finish it in such a weird fashion that it's the worst. Brotherhood was started after the manga ended and is going to follow the manga and include the good parts of the original FMA.
    It's not that bad. Did you see the movie after? It brings things full circle.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    It's not that bad. Did you see the movie after? It brings things full circle.
    Yes, I was including the movie. I hated the movie ending, it cleared nothing up.

I'll probably just watch both.

Just finished episode 1 of Death Note and I'm already sure I'm going to love it. Thanks guys for the recommendation!

However, this was my first time watching an anime in Japanese instead of an English dub, because Netflix only has the Japanese dub. I was wondering, do you guys prefer watching anime in Japanese or English, and if so, why?

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I prefer Japanese since it's the original language and often some voice actors in US will try to be more annoying then is needed. But as there are some anime on netflix which are only in English sometimes it's tough. So I have this handy guide. If the anime is very highly recommended by friends and people who's opinion I trust then I'll watch it in Japanese. If the anime is highly regarded in the anime community but my friends don't care then I'll watch it in English (Darker than Black for instance). On netflix since there are so many animes I tend to only watch something if it's 3.5 stars or above. Anything below that and I won't even try.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I prefer Japanese but if I can only watch it dubbed I'll do it. Same way with Miyazaki stuff in theater's. They almost always only play dubbed so I'll go see them that way and then watch them subbed once they hit dvd.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

I don't like to watch things dubbed because I don't like new performers and directors coming in to remake the vocal performances in a movie or TV show.

I almost always try to watch it subbed, but once in a while the dub will be pretty sweet. The Hellsing OVA has a sick dub.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Watched Gunbuster again last night. Gunbuster is the greatest.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Watched Gunbuster again last night. Gunbuster is the greatest.
    Is that the old OVA series? Hideaki Anno is awesome.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Japanese for most, but after watching Stand Alone Complex on AS years ago, I really enjoyed the voice cast for that whole series.

Anyone know what this is from?

[]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I prefer the Cowboy Bebop dub to the sub. Steve Blum is a God.

Most of the recent Miyazaki dubs are done with the director's intent, so it's not really "remaking" it. Plus the few line changes are very minimal to the main story.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I prefer the Cowboy Bebop dub to the sub. Steve Blum is a God.
    Yes. This is an example of the English dub being vastly superior to the original Japanese.

I can't stand the Bebop dub. I much prefer the Japanese VA's approach to Blum's. And I can't stand Ed in English.

And I'm not sure I buy that thing about "intent."

And Anno's the best.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast