Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
Thirdmango's been telling me to watch Bleach and One Piece and Naruto for years. I have a hard time with anime series that run over one season in length, if for no other reason than I like to support good series by buying their American DVD releases. However, the sheer size of those behemoths make that kind of a ridiculously costly prospect.

Though, as I've lately been finding myself clearing through entire series at a pretty rapid pace, it seems more doable in terms of the time commitment.

The longest anime series I've watched is GTO.
Yeah I've been told to watch Bleach as well but have held off for similar reasons (well more time commitment). Naruto is a mixed bag. Some of it is just phenomenal but it does often get into superfluous filler territory and Shippuuden in particular is absolutely horribly paced. The series also isn't completed (I'm reading the manga and I think they're about 150 or so ahead of the series and it's still not done) so that's a frustration. Also to a certain degree the series is about the whole training to fight tougher enemies idea so it can get repetitive. Despite that many of the characters and narratives are great. Maybe check out the first season and see how you like it, the first season does have a single story arc to it so that's a plus.