Thread: Anime Series Discussion Thread

I'll seek it out.

Found this awesome playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0MA...MOU56CKISUPEN0

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I'll seek it out.

Found this awesome playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0MA...MOU56CKISUPEN0
    This is a super rad playlist. I've been leaving it on a little bit when working on things I can risk getting distracted from.

But it doesn't have two of my all-time favorites!

The lyrics to this one are great.
    [
    ]

That playlist has the second Heavy Metal L-GAIM theme, but the first one I like so much more.

Also, the Ideon ED song is just the best. (The visuals for the ending aren't the most stunning thing in the world, though)

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FnVW6V7Rrc
    Link to music only single version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MeDE8O2tFo

I, uh, actually wrote my own translation of the lyrics a while ago since I didn't like the one from the fansub I was watching and it didn't cover the extra verse from the single version, though I'd like to give it another pass some time since it's still a little clunky.

[
    ]

Oh, and Victory Gundam's OP gets me out of my fuckin' chair.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTYPjcrB9l8

This stuff is like the purest candy for me.

Guys. Today a friend of mine who's really into anime recommended me a show named Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (Humanity Has Declined in English).

Has any of you seen it? How is it?
    Last edited by Philip J. Fry; 08-10-2017 at 05:18 AM.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Yeh I posted that news in the Netflix thread. Excited about the GITS studio.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Have you ever seen the Patlabor movies, or, really, any of Mamoru Oshii's films, including GITS?
    ........no. .___. GITS has been on my list for too long. But I recently discovered that it's on Hulu, so that will change really soon.

That being said, does the movie take place before Stand Alone Complex or after it? Just for my understanding.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I think Skitch is onto something here in that when we're talking about TV anime, it is intended to be viewed serially over time, and a healthy dose of narrative orientation is a good narrative strategy for keeping the audience from becoming too confused.

I also would say I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have a lot of expository dialogue. That's a position that's really strongly argued for in our critical discourse--and even moreso for people training to be writers themselves. But it--like most popular ideas about art and criticism--is tends toward a kind of dogmatism that I'm uncomfortable with. Why is it inherently better to show and not tell?
    It's always been how I understood any visual medium, but I will admit I'm looking at anime from the lens of a writer and critic for an entirely different medium.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    In fact, I'd say that given the limited animation techniques cultivated for television anime--which demands a limited number of scenes and unique drawings--this has emerged as a narrative technique that then provides its own kind of thrill, since it develops as its own kind of generic convention. This is not just a cost-cutting measure, but is an essential component of the rhythm of television anime narratives. Three minutes with eight cuts of close-ups where basically only characters' mouths are moving then makes way for a lavishly animated action scene with faster cutting and more animation frames. And while seeing worldbuilding is, of course, cool, maybe it's also cool to have lines of dialogue that expand it in your imagination beyond what's even realized on screen.
    See, I didn't know about any of the bolded stuff was specific to anime, or that it was important to the medium. Thanks! This clears a lot up and helps a lot.
    Last edited by Ivan Drago; 08-13-2017 at 06:12 AM.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    ........no. .___. GITS has been on my list for too long. But I recently discovered that it's on Hulu, so that will change really soon.

That being said, does the movie take place before Stand Alone Complex or after it? Just for my understanding.
    The reason I ask is that Oshii is often considered the king of the talking head anime. So much so, that he made a live action film called Talking Heads, about making an animated feature. His GitS films are full of it, and his Patlabor films are probably the most perfect examples of this kind of Japanese animation.

There are some anime scholars who argue that Japanese animation is a medium that exists somewhere in between full animation and the comic book, because of how it utilizes static images and talking heads for exposition.

Last year was the 25th anniversary of Giant Robo, an OVA series that I still believe to be the greatest achievement of the medium.

Here's a really good article on GR:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...iant-robo.html

It's been far too long since I've watched it, and plan on doing so soon. Maybe I'll write up some reviews.

Finished up the Berserk Super Cut this weekend. Pretty good. Not nearly as good as the same arc in the manga, but still good.

Man, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was something. It might have just become my favorite anime ever.

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Man, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was something. It might have just become my favorite anime ever.
    What are your thoughts of it compared to the original series?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    What are your thoughts of it compared to the original series?
    I still need to finish the original. I watched it only 'till Nina and Alexander.

I remember it had more filler, but it was still a good show..

Did you watch the live action movie on Netflix? Been wanting to check it out.

I did. It's terrible.

I honestly don't feel like watching it, specially since the track record of adapting animation classics to live action is terrible (e.g. The Last Airbender, Death Note), hell, they can't even do justice to mediocre shows like Dragon Ball!!

This June 2 and this September .

I'm still stunned how much I enjoyed SAC. I thought there was no way it could hold up to the movie, but its great.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'm still stunned how much I enjoyed SAC. I thought there was no way it could hold up to the movie, but its great.
    Specially 2nd GIG.

Specially 2nd GIG.
    Haven't seen that yet.

Love love love SAC

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Haven't seen that yet.
    Do it now! It's even better than SAC!

Specially 2nd GIG.
    I never could get into the first season of SAC, but 2nd GIG was pretty damn awesome; sure, the dialogue is often rather clunky in its blatant historical/political lecturing, but the visuals, setpieces, and overall style of it were just too cool to be denied.

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    I never could get into the first season of SAC, but 2nd GIG was pretty damn awesome; sure, the dialogue is often rather clunky in its blatant historical/political lecturing, but the visuals, setpieces, and overall style of it were just too cool to be denied.
    When I saw that tank episode on Adult Swim one night, I ran out and bought the set. That episode is A+

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast