Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Saga Discussion

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Adding more acrobatics to that fight misses the point that what's happening is happening between the jousts. It's the exact opposite of the all-flash no-substance Darth Maul fight.
    Exactly.

The fight isn’t about anything physical going on.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    The fight doesn't need flips. But Peter Cushing just literally stands there. It's stupid and I don't mind a re-imagine of that scene.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Again, Alec Guinness just standing there was the entire complete point. He wasn’t ever going to actually fight Vader. He went there for Vader to kill him, to take the last step in his own journey to become one with the force, and to officially start Lule’s journey by showing him how powerful the force is even in death.

That's all fine. It's still a bad visual.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

So it looks like we are eventually going to be getting two Star Wars movies a year...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/enterta...shoot-11774216

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    So it looks like we are eventually going to be getting two Star Wars movies a year...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/enterta...shoot-11774216
    The newest one is at $517 million. Rogue One topped out at $532 million.

And here I thought this would slow down.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

It really makes you wonder why Lucas didn't spend more time in the 80s and 90s developing stories. I guess he didn't want to do it all by himself and didn't trust anyone to direct them?

Work 15 hour days or take a few years to split time between raising your kids and Scrooge McDucking nude in mountains of cash. Who knows what goes through the mind of billionaires.

Was he already a billionaire after the OT?

Maybe not. I suppose in those years he was developing LucasArts, ILM and...there was another one.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Maybe not. I suppose in those years he was developing LucasArts, ILM and...there was another one.

I don’t think he was a billionaire immediately after the OT, but he was certainly very very rich.

He makes most of his money from the merchandise and brand. The movies are small potatoes for him.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    THX, Skywalker sound, ILM.

I mean, two Star Wars movies a year seemed pretty inevitable when Disney unveiled the “A Star Wars Story” label.

Johnson’s weirdo trilogy sounds really intriguing. Hope it’s weird and good.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.

I was reading that it is slowing down, but I wonder how much of that has to do with fan reaction (which seems less universally positive) and how much has to do with simple burnout and the inability to live up to the monumental cultural detonation of The Force Awakens, which was saying, "Hey, those friends you love are back."

I'd be more excited for Johnson's trilogy if he was directing all three movies.

It really makes you wonder why Lucas didn't spend more time in the 80s and 90s developing stories. I guess he didn't want to do it all by himself and didn't trust anyone to direct them?
    Lucas wanted to stop Star Wars altogether after ROTJ. He was done with it, and spent the 80s developing other stories as a producer. Lucas has said numerous times in interviews that he thought of Star Wars as just the story of Luke and Vader, and when that ended, that was it for that universe as far he's concerned. He never had any intention to do prequels or sequels or anything like that. He fancied himself as having more to contribute to cinema than just Star Wars.

He changed his mind in the mid-90s and started writing the prequels. Who knows why, but the best guess people have come up with is that he lost most of his fortune in his divorce settlement in the late 80s, and at the same time was made aware that Star Wars was, to his surprise, still popular in the form of comics and novels. So he wanted to cash in and rebuild his empire by making more movies (which means more merchandising opportunities).
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

That’s true of the post-ROTJ Lucas, but having gone back and looked at ESB-era reviews and coverage it sure seems like the Lucas of the early days of the Star Wars phenomenon talked a big game about a prequel and sequel trilogy and did Tarantino levels of teasing about what might be in them. One paper claimed that Lucas planned for Episode IX to be told all through the perspective of droids.

I also recall three trilogy talk way before the prequels were even announced.

That makes sense, though. You have this insane blockbuster on your hand, you talk it up. But it certainly doesn't seem like he was ever serious about developing them. I think he just wanted to brag about how rich the universe he's created that you could imagine whole trilogies of movies that come before and after the trilogy that he's made, and people took him way too literally.

"This was never planned as a nine-episode work," Lucas said. "The media [pounced when] I made an offhand comment, 'It might be fun to come back when everyone's 80 and do another one of these.' But I never had any intention of doing that."

"The original 'Star Wars' was only three films, and that was what it was meant to be," he said. "After a lot of pondering and thought, I went back to do the back story, but that pretty much tells the story. Episode six is the end. There isn't any more to it."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    He was working on Indiana Jones for the latter half of the 80s. Past that, I think it's just a massive fear of failure. (And there was some critical grumbling about "ROTJ" and "Temple of Doom.")

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    That’s true of the post-ROTJ Lucas, but having gone back and looked at ESB-era reviews and coverage it sure seems like the Lucas of the early days of the Star Wars phenomenon talked a big game about a prequel and sequel trilogy and did Tarantino levels of teasing about what might be in them.
    He definitely talked it up in the press after "Star Wars" was an established hit. 9 episodes. What's playing now is the middle part, blah blah blah.

But I don't believe anything Lucas says about the franchise outside of his specific comments on the story (like, why Han shot first). Rich dudes who worry about their legacies tend to constantly re-write their own history.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I think he just wanted to brag about how rich the universe he's created that you could imagine whole trilogies of movies that come before and after the trilogy that he's made, and people took him way too literally.
    Sure. But to give the fans a little credit, it's hard to take something like "there are 9 movies in 'Star Wars'" in anything but a literal sense.
    Last edited by Irish; 01-02-2018 at 05:51 PM.

What's funny are there interviews where Lucas talks about wanting to do these small-scale personal movies after Star Wars, along the lines of what Coppola did in the early 2000's.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

What's funny are there interviews where Lucas talks about wanting to do these small-scale personal movies after Star Wars, along the lines of what Coppola did in the early 2000's.
    Yeah, I was just recalling that not too long ago, he was talking about wanting to do that after he had sold SW to Disney. Wonder if he's ever gonna get started on any of those...

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    To be fair, he produced Red Tails and Strange Magic, both of which had long development periods.

I would like to see him go back to pre-Star Wars avant-gardism. His work seemed most alive in the Prequels when he was goofing around with cross-cutting, montage, concept shots (1:56), and might-as-well-be silent film, which is how he started:

Forgiving all his errors, I still think that shot earns Williams' pseudo-Wagnerian bombast.

Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast