Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Saga Discussion

Not only that, he wasn't even the most offensive thing to a Star Wars fan in that movie. Not with podracing and Jake Lloyd.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Not only that, he wasn't even the most offensive thing to a Star Wars fan in that movie. Not with podracing and Jake Lloyd.
    Don't just say things like podracing and leave it at that. Tell me why podracing is considered offensive to a Star Wars fan. And then I'll tell you those fans are wrong.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Podracing is really the only thing I remember liking about that movie.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Podracing is fine in theory, Morris. Twenty minutes of podracing with an insufferable brat as the person you're supposed to root for is not fine. It also leads to a stunning moment in ill-conceived callbackery:

"Now this is podracing!"

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I loved Episode I as a kid and still do to this day. Sure Jake Lloyd sucked, and Jar Jar was there only to attract a younger audience, but the action sequences, especially the Podrace and the three-way lightsaber fight, wowed me and still do. Just plain fun from start to finish.

But will I see it converted to 3D? Probably not.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Don't just say things like podracing and leave it at that. Tell me why podracing is considered offensive to a Star Wars fan. And then I'll tell you those fans are wrong.
    Because action without context is meaningless. Pure spectacle works well at the circus but not at the movies.

Podracing represents everything that's wrong with Lucas' followups: the triumph of style over substance.

Ew, I don't want to get into a Star Wars debate, but wasn't the point of the pod race to show that Anakin has the Force in him, and that he's way above a class that any human should be?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I also hate when people say that "Darth Maul was the only good thing about Phantom Menace".

No, he was crap too.

God, this movie is terrible. A GIRL HAS BRACES! A GIRL HAS FUCKING BRACES ON!
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Galaxies far, far away have dentists too.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    Yeah, I can't muster much hate for Jar Jar Binks. Everything else in the movie is abysmal too. At least Jar Jar is a self-contained character; it's not like the terrible Anakin character that cheapens everything that made Darth Vader such a good villain. God, what an awful character.

Nothing can saved the prequels from suck. Least of all 3-D.

I still quite like Revenge of the Sith.

In my humble opinion it is by far the best of the prequels. Sure, that isn't saying much, but I felt it was the closest to feeling like it existed in the same realm as the original trilogy.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Podracing is really the only thing I remember liking about that movie.
    I really loved Star Wars Ep.I: Racer. And then a jerk borrowed my CD and never gave it back.:frustrated:

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Because action without context is meaningless. Pure spectacle works well at the circus but not at the movies.

Podracing represents everything that's wrong with Lucas' followups: the triumph of style over substance.
    Oh sure, but it's still a rather tremendous sequence and I don't see how it's insulting to Star Wars fans which is how this particular discussion got started. And Like Ezee E said, it isn't entirely devoid of meaning.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

"You know, a lot of people have compared this scene to the climactic chariot scene in Ben-Hur. Yeah, you know, they usually say, 'Ben-Hur was really good. This movie totally sucks.'"

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Oh sure, but it's still a rather tremendous sequence and I don't see how it's insulting to Star Wars fans which is how this particular discussion got started.
    Technically well executed but it's still just pandering, and maybe that's where the insult lies.

Lucas' misstep with the whole thing was thinking that the spectacle -- dogfights in space and lightsaber duels -- was what drew people to the original movies. That was only part of it, and a marginal part.

What drew people in and kept them coming back was the space opera, the sense of adventure. A quality missing from the prequels completely.

And Like Ezee E said, it isn't entirely devoid of meaning.
    There about 1000 different ways to bring that point home (little Anakin is the chosen one). And all of them better than what Lucas did.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Technically well executed but it's still just pandering, and maybe that's where the insult lies.
    I guess, but I guess when it comes to the prequels, we took what we could get. Spectacle, memorable scores and perhaps a few times that typical Star Wars brilliance just about shining through those cracks of mediocrity.

Gotta say that I love Revenge of the Sith however, or more precisely its final 45 minutes.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Gotta say, I kinda like Sith, but I think that's one of the most embarrassing endings I've ever seen, partially for the Darth Vader walk of shame, but mostly because Padme's motivations are so opaque and preposterous. She's dying of a broken heart, after her husband choked her pregnant ass, and yet she's well enough to successfully deliver two babies and hopeful enough to tell Obi-Wan, "Hey, don't give up on that murderous psychopath who killed dozens of children and choked my pregnant ass." Then she goes back to dying from despair.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Why not?

Episode 1 - 75
    Episode 2 - 45
    Episode 3 - 71

I was asked to explain my love for Jar Jar. Before I do that, I feel Episode 1 is the most complete movie compared to the other two. Yes we are on a conveyor belt on the way to Episode 4, and there are certain events the movies much touch on to get there and I think we can all agree that Episode 2 was a rushed CGI mess. It felt like Lucas only cared about the actual clone war than anything else. Episode 3 was relatively satisfying because it ends with an epic battle but Episode 1 is the only movie out of the three that takes its time to develop. We have to almost have to get re-introduced to the Universe. It's a different time, (even though its only 30-40 years) there's different systems to explore, different reigns in power... and different characters.

Having comic relief in the first trilogy added the charm I think we all love. We have Harrison Ford and his banter with Chewie to thank for that, in addition to 3PO and R2. We don't have any of these characters in the original trilogy so Lucas did something he knew he needed. It was a different kind of comedy that we were used to in this Universe. He wasn't quick witted, he wasn't an overly concerned robot, he was just clumsy. The only thing I wish more out of Jar Jar is if his clumsiness caused more problems for the main cast, and they needed to figure out ways around him. Lucas did the opposite, which I didn't like very much; Jar Jar's clumsiness almost ended the entire war... which I didn't think was a very creative way to use the character. I like how Episode 1 separates itself from the rest of the movies. I love how it starts, I like how it ends, I like the movie as a whole.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

A buddy of mine keeps arguing that of course Ankin was supposed to be unlikable throughout all of the movies, as he ends up being the evil Darth Vader. I'm going to stick with the opinion that it doesn't excuse his whinny annoying behavior in all of the movies. He was less whinny in the 3rd one, at least. I'll defend ROTS as being a great film, but the rest of the prequels are highly disappointing. And the more I think about AOTC, the lower my score for it goes.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Have you guys seen that extensive review of Phantom Menace that was posted on youtube a few years ago? It's looong (7 parts long) but really funny in parts, and the guy raises a lot of good points.

[youtube]FxKtZmQgxrI[/youtube]

Here's part one. There should be links for the other parts on the youtube page, but, aw hell, I'll just post them here:

Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    He has reviewed all three prequels, and all three reviews are worth watching. He brings every plot hole to light, and while some of his humor really misses the mark, the reviews are still fairly humorous and they absolutely tear Lucas to shreds.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I still quite like Revenge of the Sith.

In my humble opinion it is by far the best of the prequels. Sure, that isn't saying much, but I felt it was the closest to feeling like it existed in the same realm as the original trilogy.
    that's intentionally planned by Lucas and even mentioned in interviews, the overall feeling (even the production design) comes closer to the old trilogy, which makes this the lesser sucky prequel, but still filled to the bone with most of the same flaws.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    So, I just realized I have no idea what this Darth Maul line means and hoping someone here does.

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge".

Revenge from what? Does this relate back to the Knights of the Old Republic story line?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    It means George Lucas was winging it.

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast