Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Saga Discussion

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I just dislike how Lucasfilm is relying on seasoned filmmakers with old school aesthetics to continue their franchise rather than let the new age of directors have a go at it.
    Which btw is the opposite of what Marvel is doing. You'd think they'd talk to each other....

But then i goes back to D&MU's point. Is Star Wars truly critic proof and it doesn't matter? Does Disney LucasFilm even care?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Which btw is the opposite of what Marvel is doing. You'd think they'd talk to each other....

But then i goes back to D&MU's point. Is Star Wars truly critic proof and it doesn't matter? Does Disney LucasFilm even care?
    As always, the money talks. Until a Star Wars movie does poorly, nothing will change.

That stupid sun-sucking thing was just asinine. Brings up so many more questions than it answers. Is it just permanent darkness for that local system now? Does the planet float off to another system to hoover up another sun/star when it wants to take another shot? Obviously the distance thing, as duke mentioned. It makes no physical sense. Purely a "this'll be so cool no one will care thing," except they went overboard on it. Sure it's called Starkiller, but I can't imagine how that works. I still enjoy TFA quite a bit tho.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    That stupid sun-sucking thing was just asinine. Brings up so many more questions than it answers. Is it just permanent darkness for that local system now? Does the planet float off to another system to hoover up another sun/star when it wants to take another shot? Obviously the distance thing, as duke mentioned. It makes no physical sense. Purely a "this'll be so cool no one will care thing," except they went overboard on it. Sure it's called Starkiller, but I can't imagine how that works. I still enjoy TFA quite a bit tho.
    Funny thing is, Starkiller base does move (like the death star) it just never is explained in the movie.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Then everyone on the planet would die after the first sun is sucked up. Also, removing the sun alone would render every planet in the system dead. Starkiller base was ill conceived.

I mean, I don't need to be shown that it moves to understand that, yeah, like the Death Star, it probably moves. I get complaints about the creative "laziness" of making The Death Star Mk. III (but more HUGE) on the part of the producers and maybe the flimsiness and apparent lack of clarity of the Ex-Empire's plan. But complaining we don't know whether it can move rings pretty empty to me. I don't need to see how Tony Stark goes to the bathroom in his supersuit to understand that, yeah, he probably thought about that but it wasn't narratively relevant.

I should clarify that I really like VII. And that I expect and want Rey to be a part of the Skywalker family, because I think it'll be narratively satisfying. Star Wars, for me, is about this insular little family saga against an impossibly epic scifi-historical backdrop. I think that's a good thing. I don't need this universe to explode out in a thousand directions. I like it more as a series than a franchise.

Also 100% on board with people adhering really closely to a Star Wars house style, via smart but ultimately chameleon-like directors who make technically good entertainment. As commercial products, these are partly consumer fantasies about what if there were just more Star Wars. I'd enjoy the fuckery of a director with a really distinctive and avant garde vision mucking around with the Star Wars universe, but ultimately the people who make it and consume it don't really want that. You want stately Spielbergified pop directors to keep offering new iterations of what we know as Star Wars. That's fine.

New trailer October 9th

Ughhh. Reportedly 150 minutes long.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Only Revenge of the Sith comes close at 2 hours 20 minutes.

I wonder if they balloon these out to satisfy those foreign markets that want longer movies.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Only Revenge of the Sith comes close at 2 hours 20 minutes.

I wonder if they balloon these out to satisfy those foreign markets that want longer movies.
    Attack of the Clones is second longest at 142.

Good news to me. Faith in Rian.

Producer
    Yeah, maybe I have director blindness loyalty going on, but I feel like if it's true it's more due to Rian's plotting than [still not sure the reason for many blockbusters' bloat]
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Attack of the Clones is second longest at 142.
    Well, slap my cheeks and call me Gracie, you're right.

This is not a problem right now. Time may tell otherwise.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

So apparently Kylo wears a mask to conceal his identity during his transition to the dark side as he murdered all the Jedi

So it sounds like Star Wars 10, 11 and 12 will also feature the same cast of characters.

Quote Quoting Kennedy
    "We’re sitting down now, we’re talking about the next ten years of Star Wars stories, and we’re looking at narratively where that might go. Future stories beyond Episode IX with these new characters: Rey, Poe, Finn, BB-8. But we’re also looking at working with people that are interested in coming into the Star Wars world and taking us to places that we haven’t been yet. And that’s exciting too because its a vast galaxy far, far away, so the possibilities are endless."
    Honestly, I think just outlining this on a whiteboard every few years would be a dream job. I would love to sit in that writers room for a week. That's my Last Wish.

Also based on her comments and praise about Rian Johnson, I would suspect (and bet on) he's going to return for another movie. I don't remember Kennedy being lost for words when describing her experience with JJ.

Also based on her comments and praise about Rian Johnson, I would suspect (and bet on) he's going to return for another movie. I don't remember Kennedy being lost for words when describing her experience with JJ.

Oh shit... This isn't Saga this isn't Anthology.. This is entirely new trilogy folks! (Should I made a new thread????)

http://deadline.com/2017/11/star-war...di-1202204843/

Oh shit... This isn't Saga this isn't Anthology.. This is entirely new trilogy folks! (Should I made a new thread????)

http://deadline.com/2017/11/star-war...di-1202204843/
    No new thread, just retitle this one to...Star Wars Money Machine Discussion or something.

PS - the title of that article aroused the hell out of me.

- - - - -
    Wtf? How will this work?

Star Wars: The Last Jedi writer-director Rian Johnson has been set by Disney and Lucasfilm to write and direct a trilogy of films that will fall under the Star Wars brand but will be a completely new story, with original characters, set in a different galaxy.
    Set in a different galaxy --- yet somehow recognizable as "Star Wars," with similar humanoid aliens, strange religions, and level of tech?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Wtf? How will this work?

Set in a different galaxy --- yet somehow recognizable as "Star Wars," with similar humanoid aliens, strange religions, and level of tech?
    They'll finish the Skywalker saga with IX and move to something different. I'm assuming that the "different galaxy" thing is a misunderstanding and it'll still be all the familiar stuff just not within the time period and character sphere of the existing films.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

That's how I took it too. The writer of that article is obviously not a Star Wars fan lol.

- - - - -
    Ahhhh, okay. That makes a little more sense.

Bizarre, but it kinda sounds like it'll be a completely original sci-fi movie (no Jedis or anything), but they're slapping the name Star Wars on it to sell it.

This is obviously pure speculation on my part, but maybe Disney knows that they can't coast on the same continuity forever, so they want to turn "Star Wars" into more of an imprint than a title (a "Star Wars movie" in the future would be like a "Pixar movie"). The long game would be to separate the brand from Goerge Lucas' legacy and cement it as a Disney product.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Bizarre, but it kinda sounds like it'll be a completely original sci-fi movie (no Jedis or anything), but they're slapping the name Star Wars on it to sell it.

This is obviously pure speculation on my part, but maybe Disney knows that they can't coast on the same continuity forever, so they want to turn "Star Wars" into more of an imprint than a title (a "Star Wars movie" in the future would be like a "Pixar movie"). The long game would be to separate the brand from Goerge Lucas' legacy and cement it as a Disney product.
    I dunno, that seems like a good way to piss a bunch of people off. It's got to still take place in a familiar milieu or I think it'd be a huge stretch to still call it Star Wars.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast