Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Star Wars Saga Discussion

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I just dislike how Lucasfilm is relying on seasoned filmmakers with old school aesthetics to continue their franchise rather than let the new age of directors have a go at it.
    Which btw is the opposite of what Marvel is doing. You'd think they'd talk to each other....

But then i goes back to D&MU's point. Is Star Wars truly critic proof and it doesn't matter? Does Disney LucasFilm even care?

Just Watched
    Payback (1999) ★★★★
    The Avengers (2012) ★★★★★
    King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017) ★★★★
    Ghostbusters II (1989) ★★★★
    Ghostbusters (1984) ★★★★★

Currently Playing | Played
    The Witness (Steam) ★★★★★

TV Show Currently Watching | Watched
    Twin Peaks (S1) ...
    The Defenders (S1) ★

Currently Reading | Read
    Songs of Susannah (King) ...
    Wolves of Calla (King) ★

Thoughts/ Twitch.tv / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Which btw is the opposite of what Marvel is doing. You'd think they'd talk to each other....

But then i goes back to D&MU's point. Is Star Wars truly critic proof and it doesn't matter? Does Disney LucasFilm even care?
    As always, the money talks. Until a Star Wars movie does poorly, nothing will change.

That stupid sun-sucking thing was just asinine. Brings up so many more questions than it answers. Is it just permanent darkness for that local system now? Does the planet float off to another system to hoover up another sun/star when it wants to take another shot? Obviously the distance thing, as duke mentioned. It makes no physical sense. Purely a "this'll be so cool no one will care thing," except they went overboard on it. Sure it's called Starkiller, but I can't imagine how that works. I still enjoy TFA quite a bit tho.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

- Our Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    That stupid sun-sucking thing was just asinine. Brings up so many more questions than it answers. Is it just permanent darkness for that local system now? Does the planet float off to another system to hoover up another sun/star when it wants to take another shot? Obviously the distance thing, as duke mentioned. It makes no physical sense. Purely a "this'll be so cool no one will care thing," except they went overboard on it. Sure it's called Starkiller, but I can't imagine how that works. I still enjoy TFA quite a bit tho.
    Funny thing is, Starkiller base does move (like the death star) it just never is explained in the movie.

Just Watched
    Payback (1999) ★★★★

Twin Peaks (S1) ...
    The Defenders (S1) ★

Currently Reading | Read
    Songs of Susannah (King) ...
    Wolves of Calla (King) ★

Thoughts/ Twitch.tv / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies

Then everyone on the planet would die after the first sun is sucked up. Also, removing the sun alone would render every planet in the system dead. Starkiller base was ill conceived.

The Pan
    I mean, I don't need to be shown that it moves to understand that, yeah, like the Death Star, it probably moves. I get complaints about the creative "laziness" of making The Death Star Mk. III (but more HUGE) on the part of the producers and maybe the flimsiness and apparent lack of clarity of the Ex-Empire's plan. But complaining we don't know whether it can move rings pretty empty to me. I don't need to see how Tony Stark goes to the bathroom in his supersuit to understand that, yeah, he probably thought about that but it wasn't narratively relevant.

I should clarify that I really like VII. And that I expect and want Rey to be a part of the Skywalker family, because I think it'll be narratively satisfying. Star Wars, for me, is about this insular little family saga against an impossibly epic scifi-historical backdrop. I think that's a good thing. I don't need this universe to explode out in a thousand directions. I like it more as a series than a franchise.

Also 100% on board with people adhering really closely to a Star Wars house style, via smart but ultimately chameleon-like directors who make technically good entertainment. As commercial products, these are partly consumer fantasies about what if there were just more Star Wars. I'd enjoy the fuckery of a director with a really distinctive and avant garde vision mucking around with the Star Wars universe, but ultimately the people who make it and consume it don't really want that. You want stately Spielbergified pop directors to keep offering new iterations of what we know as Star Wars. That's fine.

New trailer October 9th

Just Watched
    Payback (1999) ★★★★

Twin Peaks (S1) ...