Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Saga Discussion

Eh.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Oh and release date moved as expected.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Man, the online backlash on this news (and by extension, Abrams) since the announcement is face palm worthy.

He has become the new Nolan. People hate the movie knowing nothing about it, forgetting that the alternative was COLLIN TREVORROW.

I flat out called out someone on FB for shit talking the announcement and saying how terrible TFA was, by screencapping and PM'ing them posts by them from both 2015 and 2016 stating how much they loved TFA and how Abrams was exactly what the franchise needed.

They blocked me without reply.

Why do people STILL feel the need to try to "impress" others with film nerd cred or whatever. Why can't you just be honest about what you like and what you don't?

And before the train starts, I have seen little-to-none of this here on MC. Everyone has been relatively consistent with their thoughts and opinions here which is nice to see. We have all known each other for so long I surely hope no one would feel they had to "hide" their like/dislike of something.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Well a lot of people did not like Force Awakens. I hated most of it despite it being a well put together movie. I hated the plot. I hated the villain. I hated the heroes, with the exception of Fin. I hated the fan service. I hated the retreads. THere's not much to like about that movie.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Nolan is a protected species among online film fans. Go on the reddit movies sub and bad mouth some Nolan films some time, see how it works out.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Nolan is a protected species among online film fans. Go on the reddit movies sub and bad mouth some Nolan films some time, see how it works out.
    Seriously, you have to engage in judo level caveats before you can begin to criticize Nolan in there.

As to Meg's legitimate complaint about the sways in online judgments of Abrams, I wish I understood the people who go with the internet breeze no matter their previous positions. You have to figure they really don't care at the end of the day and just want some superficial charge out of groupthink acceptance (or the alternative, trolling around).

Reddit are a group of idiots not much better than 4chan.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Yes, but if you know how to play them, you can reap the karma.

And then cry over the hollow use of your time.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Depends on the subreddit.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Seriously, you have to engage in judo level caveats before you can begin to criticize Nolan in there.

As to Meg's legitimate complaint about the sways in online judgments of Abrams, I wish I understood the people who go with the internet breeze no matter their previous positions. You have to figure they really don't care at the end of the day and just want some superficial charge out of groupthink acceptance (or the alternative, trolling around).

JUST LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE!!

I am hugely against the idea of "guilty pleasures". If you like something there's something in it that appeals to you. Maybe you can't even put it into words. But acting like it's wrong to like something you do (or even worse lying about it) is uber lame.

I don't know; in real life, there are plenty of things that we individually would accept as guilty pleasures - acts that bring great pleasure, but at some cost that we accept is real but that we ignore to keep the pleasure center buzzing. Think smokers, guys who masturbate 3 times a day, eating cheesecake by the handful etc. I don't see why that can't be extended to movies - you could love a film that has mammoth flaws (moral, technical, whatever) and feel "guilty" that you are not rewarding more proficient examples of the form with your viewing time, or that you are blowing off a friends birthday party to watch Kickpuncher 2 for the 15th time.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Masturbating 3 times a day has a negative side?

RSI? Opportunity cost (e.g., using your penis in a consensual pairing with another person of your choice)? Tissue expenditure?
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Carpal tunnel.

Every time we get into these discussions, I end up rewatching Force Awakens. I've watched it like six times now. I STILL don't know what to think of it. I love it. I don't love it. I like this. I'm unsure of that.

I hate to say it because a movie should be able to stand on its own, but I still feel reserved judgement until I see the next chapter and see where the hell the story is going. I don't hate JJ at all. I like him a lot. I have reservations on VII, but at least I know with him IX wont be a total shit show.

Starts and ends with great energy. Lame-ish middle that has an occasional spark. It works great for me. I like.

I AM hoping that The Last Jedi goes into a different direction instead of an ESB retread. If it does go in a different direction, I have no worries for Abram.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Is the tide of popular opinion with each Star Wars movie gonna be a 3-week honeymoon period and four to six months of positive reminiscence, followed by a prolonged period of hatred and irritation? I feel like we're getting deeper into stage 3 with Rogue One right now. Maybe we'll fully enter it when the pre-release hype for Rian Johnson's episode VIII finally elevates it to the savior that will deliver us from the shitty Abrams and Edwards movies.

Noting here that Meg's right that this isn't so much a problem here at Match Cut, but in the broader discourse on movies I see on the Internet.

My biggest objection to Episode VII is the retooling of the Star Wars universe to be a never-ending serial that will necessarily play out the same core conflicts over and over while building intentionally incomplete narratives to generate interest in forthcoming installments, bringing its narrative strategies closer to television. But can I really blame that on Abrams? That's what the whole Star Wars-under-Disney project is about at its heart. We are past the age of series and immersed in the era of franchise.

I'm mostly like number8 in that I don't have a strong emotional reaction to the news of Abrams' return, though I'm a little glad it's in the hands of someone who both makes very tidy and efficient pop blockbusters and who I won't be wishing was making something more interesting outside of the confines of a tightly managed corporate gig. I saw the news and I was like "ah, okay." Like, it makes sense. Abrams works great with suits, has as a poppy sensibility and one of the keenest eyes out there for eighties scifi nostalgia, and made Disney a lot of money with the last one, a film a great many voices declared captured the Star Wars feeling perfectly.

Seems to me that at least directorially JJ will be an able captain. I really enjoyed Episode VII, but I can see how easy it is to sucumb to the dark side and loathe it. My issues weren't with its direction at all, I forgot whether he also wrote it. Was't that Kasdan? Who I'm sure at point seemed like the resurrection of Jesus Christ when he was announced as writer.

Ah, IMDB says JJ had a hand in writing it, but he wasn't alone. I'm way more concerned with where the story is actually going than who's gonna helm it.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Is the tide of popular opinion with each Star Wars movie gonna be a 3-week honeymoon period and four to six months of positive reminiscence, followed by a prolonged period of hatred and irritation?
    Someone finally put into words what has been burning inside me. I went back to my initial reaction for Force Awakens and I gave it a "Reluctant Yay" but then continued to list all the things that bothered me instead of what I really liked. I think it comes down to finally understanding what Disney was trying to do (reboot ANH) as time passes and that makes fans of the franchise irate. They put literally, ZERO thought into a menacing villain and executed exactly what Arya joked about several months prior to filming... and that was having an angry emo dude running around in Darth Vadar mask. Then you have "hot potato exposition" scenes and rush the final battle and you have lost all your charm and everything you built through the first half of a film.

It's hard not to expect the same from Episode IX now.

Even as someone who unabashedly loves The Force Awakens, I can see all those complaints mattering to people. They didn't to me. Maybe I'm a dummy but the A New Hope echoes didn't dawn on me until after people had explained them. And even then they didn't bother me. I think Abrams and co. have a decent argument in their desire to make people feel comfortable with Star Wars being good and familiar again and not the opaque and experimental and ultimately very silly stuff Lucas did with the prequels. And I think there's a lot to be said about The Force Awakens being a throat-clearing, table-setting moment. I do have twinges of regret or what-if stuff that comes from some of the behind-the-scenes information about the early story work done on The Force Awakens. Things that I guess are from the Michael Arndt draft that seemed cool. There is an unfortunate sense that Abrams and Kasdan shaved off some interesting rough edges.

But Rian Johnson and others have talked about The Last Jedi not having that stuff, that it goes off in its own direction and tells its own story based on the playground that Abrams and Kasdan built. It seems counterintuitive to think that Abrams would ignore all that stuff for IX and just remake Return of the Jedi.

On the other hand, there is a sense of "all of this has happened before, all of this will happen again" ("so say we all") to Star Wars. There's going to be familiar beats. The mythic stuff of Anakin falling to the Dark Side, Luke being tested and ultimately choosing the Light Side, Rey and Kylo Ren being called by The Force and tempted, Luke's apparent desire to end the Jedi. It's all related, as it should be. If it feels familiar, that's good. Yeah, there's a line to how familiar it should feel. But it's all one story. It shouldn't become something completely different.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I'm mostly like number8 in that I don't have a strong emotional reaction to the news of Abrams' return, though I'm a little glad it's in the hands of someone who both makes very tidy and efficient pop blockbusters and who I won't be wishing was making something more interesting outside of the confines of a tightly managed corporate gig. I saw the news and I was like "ah, okay." Like, it makes sense. Abrams works great with suits, has as a poppy sensibility and one of the keenest eyes out there for eighties scifi nostalgia, and made Disney a lot of money with the last one, a film a great many voices declared captured the Star Wars feeling perfectly.
    Pretty much. I'm not disappointed or let down. I'm not excited nor surprised. It gave me the same feeling as hearing the breaking news that there's a new Marvel movie and the role of Tony Stark will be played by Robert Downey Jr. It's like, k.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    I think Abrams and co. have a decent argument in their desire to make people feel comfortable with Star Wars being good and familiar again and not the opaque and experimental and ultimately very silly stuff Lucas did with the prequels.
    This is something I don't really agree with. The prequels were big successes and never quite as critically maligned / popularly ignored as the online contingents made them out to be, and while Clones definitely dipped in popularity (it was only the third most popular movie of its year), Sith was by far the biggest box office hit of its year, which seems like fair evidence that Star Wars is by and large critic-proof.

And even if the film did need "throat clearing," I don't think it needed so much of it.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    This is something I don't really agree with. The prequels were big successes and never quite as critically maligned / popularly ignored as the online contingents made them out to be, and while Clones definitely dipped in popularity (it was only the third most popular movie of its year), Sith was by far the biggest box office hit of its year, which seems like fair evidence that Star Wars is by and large critic-proof.

And even if the film did need "throat clearing," I don't think it needed so much of it.
    Yes prequels were successful, but there was also ten years of fading enthusiasm for them that It seemed like the new regime felt couldn't be ignored.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Force Awakens was on Stars tonight, so I watched it. And it got to the scene of hot potato exposition where they explain everything in 2 minutes including that Star Killer gets it's power by draining the sun. It shows a scene of the sun getting sucked towards Star Killer base like a vacuum... even though Star Killer base is 30-60 million miles away.

Then I remembered this video.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Starts and ends with great energy. Lame-ish middle that has an occasional spark. It works great for me. I like.

I AM hoping that The Last Jedi goes into a different direction instead of an ESB retread. If it does go in a different direction, I have no worries for Abram.
    That's pretty much my sentiment.

Meg, I do hope my Facebook status didn't come off as pompous or pretentious, as that wasn't my intention. I love The Force Awakens despite its flaws. I just dislike how Lucasfilm is relying on seasoned filmmakers with old school aesthetics to continue their franchise rather than let the new age of directors have a go at it. Plus Abrams is a boring pick, in my opinion.

Of course a lot of this depends on the direction they take with The Last Jedi.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast