Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Favorite TV Couples

Last entry coming up, and then feel free to add your own! Make sure to specify what category they're in.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Bad Together: Hoyt and Jessica, True Blood

Hoyt Fortenberry: This might sound kind of funny, but I was just sitting there thinking, "How come you don't ever meet a nice girl, Hoyt?" And then you just walked right in.

Guess what's a bad idea? FALLING IN LOVE WITH A SOULESS, BLOOD-SUCKING, MURDEROUS VAMPIRE! WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

Now, they're both awesome characters. Hoyt is awesome in an aw-shucks, sweet, put-upon kind of way. Jessica is awesome in more of an oh-crap-what-next kind of way. I mean, I really can't see what he sees in her.

Well... okay... maybe I can a little. But this is going to end badly, Hoyt Fortenberry, you mark my words.
    ...and the milk's in me.

yay for all the buffy couples, friday night lights, and george michael and maeby.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    yay for all the buffy couples
    Note the Buffy couples that didn't make the list:

[
    ]

Three couples from Buffy, one from Firefly, one from Angel. Geez, Whedon, good job with all the couples.
    ...and the milk's in me.

WTF, Mara. Matt and Harriet, hello?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    WTF, Mara. Matt and Harriet, hello?
    BAD FOR EACH OTHER. No joke. And although I liked them fairly well together, I didn't love them together. I thought Danny and Matt had ten times the chemistry of Matt and Harriet.
    ...and the milk's in me.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.

I'd put this one under the The Chase / Bad Together, because them being together resulted in I Want to Believe.

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    Some people argue that Xander's reaction here was a touch unrealistic and subdued (ostensibly because Whedon didn't want to spend the last bit of the episode in tragedy land) and while I like the line, a part of me see theirs point.
    I think it reads worse than it sounds. His delivery is heartbreaking.

And as for "subdued"

[
    ]
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Three couples from Buffy, one from Firefly, one from Angel. Geez, Whedon, good job with all the couples.
    he writes women unbelievably well. which are usually the weak link in television relationships.

BAD FOR EACH OTHER. No joke.
    RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    he writes women unbelievably well. which are usually the weak link in television relationships.
    It's probably also his weak link with broader television audiences as well. I've just read a comment on "his head-scratching brand of feminism" in an article regarding Dollhouse.

After re-reading my list, I'm thinking that maybe I should have included Jin and Sun. I've not always been 100% behind them, but they've had some extraordinary moments.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.
    You're really going to argue that they're good for each other?

This is a great moment of television, but what it demonstrates is the inevitable disconnect of the relationship. They are never going to be okay. Both of them care too much for things that are too different.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    Also, not to overload you with niggling comments, but I'm curious about why you aren't behind Betty and Don.
    Because the moment I cheered the hardest in the entire course of the show was when

[
    ]

That said, I am extremely interested in both of them as individual people, and I am curious to see where things go.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I found Danny in Studio 60 to be exceptionally creepy and stalker-ish.

I nominate Frasier's Niles and Daphne. My favorite scene between them (skip ahead to 6:25).

Quote Quoting Antoine (view post)
    I nominate Frasier's Niles and Daphne. My favorite scene between them (skip ahead to 6:25).
    Good choice! I would actually put this as a couple that kind of fizzled once the chase was over, but they kept it up for years. Niles is a terrific character.
    ...and the milk's in me.

The Tara years were the only times I actually looked forward to seeing Willow onscreen. I know I'm completely alone in this, but she can be a bit annoying. I'm also a Buffy/Angel fan over Buffy/Spike (I refuse to use the awful Brangelina-type nicknames). And I'd add Giles/Jenny.

I've racked my brain for 5 minutes and can't come up with a single other addition. I considered Veronica/Logan but decided against it.

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    The Tara years were the only times I actually looked forward to seeing Willow onscreen. I know I'm completely alone in this, but she can be a bit annoying.
    Er, yes, sorry, you are. She might be my single favorite character from the show. I'm almost sure.

And I'd add Giles/Jenny.
    [
    ]

I know I included 2 from West Wing, but now I'm thinking about Danny and CJ. They had some mad chemistry.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I would have said these two, for The Chase...

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I would have said these two, for The Chase...
    You hold a very special place in my heart for being the only other person I know who likes this show. For reals.

That said, although I totally enjoy the relationship from Nikita's perspective, I just don't much care for Michael. He's so wishy-washy about the whole thing. The only reason that I care whether or not they are together is because I want Nikita to be happy.

Also, side note, this was a recent conversation with a friend.

ME: Are you watching True Blood? It's kind of awesome, but pretty trashy. Actually, it's probably the trashiest show I've ever watched.
    HER: Trashier than La Femme Nikita?
    ME: Yes.
    HER: You lie.
    ...and the milk's in me.

You hold a very special place in my heart for being the only other person I know who likes this show. For reals.
    I have seen pretty much all of the episodes. I really enjoyed most of it, but could never buy into the Nikita/Michael ship because, simply put, Roy Dupuis is about the most wooden actor of all times, making Keanu appear downright Oscar-worthy. I've hated all the arrogant pricks he ever played ever since he was Ovila in Les Filles de Caleb...

Hey, Amber, ETM's seen that Canadian guy in other stuff. And he watches our show!

I have never, ever seen Dupuis in other stuff.

Yeah, he only has one facial expression, and he has a way of talking without actually moving his mouth that I find fascinating. It worked better than it might in other roles because Michael is so secretive and brooding. Petra was expressive enough to carry the couple on her own. She's actually quite talented, and I'm annoyed that she has disappeared.

Alberta Watson's career, on the other hand, really took off after the show.
    ...and the milk's in me.

It's Peta, like the animal rights nutcases.

And yeah, she's been in "LXG" and Superman, and some TV trash, it seems. I guess she's almost 40 now and isn't young enough for the industry. Or she doesn't need to work, who knows?

Yay Nikita talk! ritch:

Heh, Roy Dupuis did have a slightly annoying way of "acting" but he was a bit more emotional in Season 1. I feel like the general trend of the show though was for everybody in Section to be robbed of their emotion and all became stony-faced and robotic-like. Watch the first couple seasons compared to the last couple. This is especially prominent in Nikita and Madeline. Not sure if this was intentional or if all the actors just got tired of playing their parts.

I'm pissed Peta Wilson didn't get a career out of this. At the height of this show I was convinced she was the sexiest woman on earth. I still have a bazillion avatars of her that I used on RT and Axis.

Douglas Fargo from Eureka has always reminded me of Birkoff:

They happen to have similar jobs on the shows, too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast