Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freaks and Geeks

Freaks and Geeks

thefourthwall and I just started watching this series yesterday, finishing up Disc 1. I'd seen several eps back in 1999 when it first aired, but I'm surprised by the way in which it's held up and sustained both its drama and dry humor. It's a good take on the cliquey nature of high school, and on the pangs of growing up. And for being far more "cinematic" in its camera exploration than any of Apatow's films.

It's interesting to look at this cast and consider just how much they've all used this show to springboard their careers. Franco is typically solid here, though I might be the lone individual who finds that Seth Rogan worked best in these small doses, rather than being a centered performer.

Do we have fans here of the show?
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I think it's one of the more appreciated shows around here.

I just wish Cardellini would finally breakout. Although I guess ER is still pretty good for her.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It'd be faster to ask if we have anyone here who are not fans.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Exactly. I don't know anyone whose watched it that didn't like it.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Was this missing from my recent top 15? If so, I'm an idiot. This is top tier material.

I've found it kind of odd that F&G is typically referred to as an Apatow show these days. Admittedly, Apatow's been a breakout success and his contribution to the show shouldn't be dismissed, but this particular show always struck me more as Paul Feig's baby. Undeclared, from a couple years later covering largely similar territory, feels more like Apatow's brainchild. Pity that Paul Feig has receded from the spotlight almost entirely, though apparently contirbuting meaningfully to The Office and a number of other shows. Also a pity that I have no real desire to watch either of his directorial films.

I have a friend who found this show too painful to watch, though he recognized it was quality. This kid hated (and still hates) high school more than probably anyone I know.

Yep, add me to the list of lovers for Freaks and Geeks and, yes, it was totally Paul Feig's baby. I don't really know what he's been up to in the ten years since, but he did get off maybe the best line in Knocked Up - "Don't let the door hit you in your vagina on the way out"

He's been directing television on high-profile shows. Arrested Development, 30 Rock, The Office, Weeds, even Mad Men.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Also, the reason that Freaks & Geeks is known as an Apatow show, I think has more to do with the actors than Apatow's own popularity.
    Movie Theater Diary

Oh, man. It kinda reads like I'm Apatow-backlashin'. Nothing further from the truth. <3 Apatow.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    LOVE this show. Easily one of the ten best shows I've ever seen. It's a shame Apatow hasn't made a film with this kind of resonance.

Who is listed as the actual creator of this?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Who is listed as the actual creator of this?
    Feig.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Feig.
    Ah. I always thought of it as an Apatow creation as well. Oh well. It is great.

Anybody else from this show going to break out you think? I only see Cardellini or Busy Phillips having a chance. The others will just be supporting roles forever. Although I guess I would never have pictured Rogen as a leading actor.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Maybe Martin Starr could get a Forgetting Sarah Marshall-like starring vehicle if Party Down takes off or something

I haven't seen Party Down, but I hope Starr gets away from his whiny-wimp character. He did the same thing in Adventureland, and while he was good there, it only works in small bits. He was in the bottom tier of characters in Freaks & Geeks for me.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Anybody else from this show going to break out you think? I only see Cardellini or Busy Phillips having a chance.
    Fun fact: both of them were leads on ER.
    Movie Theater Diary

You should check out Party Down, Ezee. Martin Starr does not play a variation on the Bill Haverchuck character and the whole show really just got better and better as its first season went along. And, if nothing else, it will make you fall in love with Lizzy Caplan

Just call me Mrs Butterworth, bitch

Yeah, his character on Party Down is borderline sociopath—and he's really good at it.
    Movie Theater Diary

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Haven't seen the show. I'm sure if I watched it, I would like it but I just don't have the time.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I just don't have the time.
    You can't say this in the F&G thread and then go say that you caught the premiere of The Cleveland Show in the TVDT and pretend there isn't a problem.

You can't say this in the F&G thread and then go say that you caught the premiere of The Cleveland Show in the TVDT and pretend there isn't a problem.
    BAM.
    Movie Theater Diary

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    :hangs head in shame:
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

This is what I'm here for.

Ah. I always thought of it as an Apatow creation as well. Oh well. It is great.

Anybody else from this show going to break out you think? I only see Cardellini or Busy Phillips having a chance. The others will just be supporting roles forever. Although I guess I would never have pictured Rogen as a leading actor.
    i guess you're already counting james franco and jason segel's relatively successful careers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast