Thread: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I was shocked when I was unable to find a thread for the show in the TV forum (there's a very little discussion in the Kitchen Sink forum, following Mara's amazing Buffy as Monomythic Hero essay). But, I know we've got some fans out there.

So, I solicit help. I'm intending to show my class an episode tomorrow, and I haven't decided which one. I need an episode that can stand alone. For now they're just reading about how we can read television as a text to teach us about our culture's ideology. Next week they'll be reading a [student] essay that places Buffy with the third wave of feminism.

Thoughts? Or if that's a tall order maybe just what's a good stand alone episode that won't need tons of context explained?

i think 'hush' is my favorite episode.

When my old roommate lost a bet with me and had to watch one episode, I made her watch "Something Blue" because I thought it was funny and scary and awesome. "Hush" is very cool as well.

But for a class-- hard to say. "Once More with Feeling" is extraordinary, of course, and Whedon tried to make it stand alone, but the students might be offput by the singing and dancing.

The best episode of the entire series is "The Body," but I'm not sure how the emotional impact would rate with someone who had never seen the show before.

Maybe you should say how you are defining "third wave" feminism.
    ...and the milk's in me.

This thread reminds me that I still have to see seasons 6 & 7.

Hush is great. Living Conditions from season 4 is also a pretty good standalone episode.

And Helpless from season 3 is great too, but I don't think that was a standalone episode.

One of the most interesting episodes, in my opinion, dealing with feminism within the realm of the show is "I was Made to Love You," which is the one where we first meet Warren and April, his sexbot. It's also the one where Buffy tries to act more feminine in order to snag a man (Ben.)

There's also some meta-arc stuff that may not interest a first-time watcher (Spike placing an order for the Buffybot, and Joyce's death) but it also has poor, pathetic April's dying hope that Warren will return for her:

April: What if he comes back and he can't find me in the dark?
    Buffy: I'm here. I'll make sure that he finds you.
    April: Maybe this is a girlfriend test. If I wait here patiently this time, he'll come back.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I wish you could show "The Gift." But it's way steeped in the mythology.

"She's a hero. She's not like us."
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I wish you could show "The Gift." But it's way steeped in the mythology.

"She's a hero. She's not like us."
    That's my favorite episode. I agree it wouldn't be a good one to show, though.

Hmm...

"Hush" was my first thought, too.

Scanning through the episode listing I'm trying to pick an episode that can stand alone...

I'll suggest "Anne" (the one where Buffy runs off to live alone) and "The I in Team" (where Buffy first joins the Initiative and Maggie sets her up).

Have we posted our favorite moments from the score yet? No?

Sacrifice

Suite from Hush

The Final Fight

EDIT: No spoilers, just music (for those who haven't finished the series) but DON'T READ THE COMMENTS. Or the summaries off to the right.
    ...and the milk's in me.

"Doppelgangland" -- Easily the most I've laughed during a Buffy episode. I think this is my favorite of those on the silly side of the fence.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    "Doppelgangland" -- Easily the most I've laughed during a Buffy episode. I think this is my favorite of those on the silly side of the fence.
    That one is just hilarious, I think mostly due to Hannigan as an actress and some really great writing. It's the sister episode to "The Wish," which was really good, but not funny at all.

You're zipping right along. How are you feeling about season 3?
    ...and the milk's in me.

That one is just hilarious, I think mostly due to Hannigan as an actress and some really great writing. It's the sister episode to "The Wish," which was really good, but not funny at all.

You're zipping right along. How are you feeling about season 3?
    Yeah, Hannigan's acting sort of makes this series for me, especially early on when I wasn't really feeling the show as a whole. I never realized she was this good.

I'd say season 3 has been characterized by consistent solidness. Nothing as shabby as stuff like "Inca Mummy Girl." It's been engaging from the beginning, which I definitely can't say about any of the prior seasons. I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to watch it anymore, and I'm breezing through it a lot quicker than I did the first 20 or so episodes. That being said, this season still hasn't reached the dramatic heights of the best episodes of season 2. Also, Faith kind of annoys me.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    episodes 8 and 9 of Angel are really good. Episode 8 especially was high buffy quality.

The great Buffy rewatch has been going on for a couple of weeks now. I bought all of the seasons at Half Priced Books.

Also more on Season 7. I'm way deep into it.

I actually like Season 1 more now. Season 2 is mostly consistent. Season 3 rules-I'm finishing it now.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Interestingly enough I not only got to Pangs in time for Thanksgiving but I also viewed This Year's Girl right after watching the Season 7 episode where [
    ] I'm almost finished with Season 7-just three episodes left to go.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    I also find Xander's Christmas tradition so very sad and touching and wonderful.
    This was actually just about the only part of that episode that really rang true for me. When I watch it, I understand what I am expected to feel, but I never really buy into it.

It doesn't help that I am completely sick of Buffy and Angel by season 3. Angel's search for redemption is far better handled once he gets his own show.
    ...and the milk's in me.

i started watching season 6. because with the exception of once more with feeling i haven't seen anything from 6 or 7 since it aired. the last time i rewatched the show i stopped at season 5 for some arbitrary reason. anyhow, i'm through 7 episodes and i really don't see why people think there's a huge drop off between season 5 and 6. yes, season 5 is probably the best season of the show, but 6 is still really really good.

I think there's no arguing that seasons 6 & 7 are tonally very different from the rest of the show. But "worse" is debatable.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I think there's no arguing that seasons 6 & 7 are tonally very different from the rest of the show. But "worse" is debatable.
    it's only natural though, as the majority of the characters are done being students and entering the real world. so it gets a bit more dramatic, but the stuff with willow and then buffy trying to cope with things. it's good stuff.

My only problem with season 6 was Willow's addiction to magic becoming way too on-the-nose and obvious. Aside from that it gets shat on way too much.

i didn't get the nick and nora fury reference the first time i saw as you were :lol: kind of a bland episode, but that cracked me up.