Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Glee

Glee

Watched the pilot just recently. Loved it. Sure to become a MatchCut favorite so we might as well get this started.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

YES.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Watched the pilot just recently. Loved it. Sure to become a MatchCut favorite so we might as well get this started.
    You are right on the money with this prediction. Pretty sure everyone here who has seen it has liked/loved it, myself included.

If Wednesday's episode appears on either Hula or Fox's website, I will try and watch it. The previews for this show have me quite interested.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

My icine peeps hated it. So, I guess it's my Match Cut show.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Icine is a bunch of duckshaggers anyway.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

That's glorious, 8. Is that original? I hope so...
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I saw the pilot and quite enjoyed it.
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    That's glorious, 8. Is that original? I hope so...
    What is?
    Movie Theater Diary

List of brochures in the guidance counselor's office:

Ouch! That stings!
    Divorce: Why Your Parents Stopped Loving You
    I Can't Stop Touching Myself
    Radon: The Silent Killer
    My Mom's Bipolar and she Won't Stop Yelling
    Wow! There's a hair down there!
    So You Like Throwing Up
    ...and the milk's in me.

Okay, finished up. Not sure about this episode. I like some of the stuff they're setting up, but some of the musical sequences are starting to feel kind of canned and over-produced. Some very funny stuff, and I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Jane Lynch is brilliant.
    ...and the milk's in me.

An open letter to random anonymous fuckwads on the internet. Hey you. You, the one being clever and snarky by calling Glee "High School Musical: The Series." Tell you what. If you really think that High School Musical is this good, send me the Amazon link and I will purchase the trilogy box set with verve. I will. But if it ends up being shitty and nothing at all like Glee, I will visit you in your reverie and smash the fucking box set on your fucking visage. Sincerely, the phantom who evacuates on your soul.
    Movie Theater Diary

I was tricked into watching the first High School Musical by being told it was campy fun, like Girls Just Want to Have Fun. The latter of which is fantastic.

It was painfully, eye-gougingly bad. It wasn't good to make fun of. It wasn't good at all.

DON'T DO IT.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    some of the musical sequences are starting to feel kind of canned and over-produced.
    This is also my concern. The numbers didn't feel as natural or as emotional as the ones from the pilot. The lip synching was pretty distracting in this episode as well.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

I'd also like a return to musical theater numbers. Embrace the camp, my friends.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Disappointed a bit by the second episode. I certainly don't think the writing needs to be brilliant for the show to be entertaining, but they're going to have to start digging a little deeper soon. Hopefully they are playing out the obvious dynamics early and they find a way to ground the characters in interactions that are a bit more substantial.

TOTALLY agree with the concern that the musical numbers were overproduced. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. When you say you're not going to have enough rehearsal time to get the Kanye number down, but then you launch into a professional-level performance on your first time looking at the music ... that makes no sense! What's endearing is the struggle that finally results in something beautiful. Not the fact that they are brilliant every time they open their mouths. Gotta find a way to keep them the underdogs.

That said, the use of Salt-n-Pepa was greatly appreciated and Lea Michele's final number gives hints about the show this could become. Still going to watch but I'm hoping it gets better.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Wait, I thought they were supposed to be obviously lipsyncing? I mean, the teacher was obviously not the one rapping Golddigger.
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm in agreement on the musical numbers. My thoughts mirror those that have already been posted. I did, however, think that this last episode had some hilarious moments, and as long as the writing stays at that level, I'm in. Jane Lynch is comic gold.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I mean, the teacher was obviously not the one rapping Golddigger.
    I thought he was. Could someone check iTunes?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I thought he was. Could someone check iTunes?
    The single, as heard on the show, is shown as being by the Glee cast. I'm pretty sure our Will was doing the "solo," as they called it, which I'm not sure is a rap term.

The whole thing was a tiny bit embarrassing, but Will looked really attractive in that scene.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I need to clarify my position on the songs. I actually liked Golddigger. I didn't mind that they knew the song well. Frankly, I'm not interested in watching them learn the songs in detail. I think his (being Will) point was that they weren't going to be ready to perform a song like that with choreography. That's why they pretty much just stood in a semicircle and sang. That was enough for me. I'd rather it was a little less polished, so that it wasn't so terribly obvious that it's lip-synching. That's a problem for me, albeit a small one. My bigger issue was with Lea Michelle's final song. That's what I don't want out of this show. I like it when the songs are part of Glee club. I'm not terribly interested in characters walking along the hallways belting out songs that the students around them can't hear, or backup singers appearing out of nowhere when a student is supposed to be going to reherse on their own. That to me reeks of High School Musical. That's the type of stuff I'd rather they left alone, because I feel like it crosses that line.

I do not have a problem with either.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    My bigger issue was with Lea Michelle's final song. That's what I don't want out of this show. I like it when the songs are part of Glee club. I'm not terribly interested in characters walking along the hallways belting out songs that the students around them can't hear, or backup singers appearing out of nowhere when a student is supposed to be going to reherse on their own. That to me reeks of High School Musical. That's the type of stuff I'd rather they left alone, because I feel like it crosses that line.
    Bah. That's the only thing that's going to keep this show from getting repetitive.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Bah. That's the only thing that's going to keep this show from getting repetitive.
    Funny thing is I agree with this as well. I was just thinking this morning that I can't see this show not becoming repetitive. Sure it can remain funny and entertaining, but really, where can it go? Glee club will have ups and downs, his wife will get caught in her lie, the two teachers will probably inevitably hook up, much like the two leads of Glee club, etc., etc., etc. But what would be the ultimate goal of the show? What direction can they take things that would really be inventive and surprising? I'm not really sure. I hope they prove me wrong.

Any of you watch Nip/Tuck?
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast