Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Glee

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I think the point is though, no matter how angry you are you never have the right to devolve into slurs and insults. The great thing about the scene is you know Finn isn't really like that so it hurts to see him chastised so much, but at the same time he did go too far and it is a father's place to stick up for his son.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

I think I can agree with that. Finn obviously said that not because he really subscribe to that kind of thought, but because he knew the word would hurt Kurt, that's why it was so powerful when Finn tried to defend his meaning and usage of the word and Burt just said, "You didn’t think I used that word when I was your age? You know, some kid gets clocked in practice and we tell him to stop being such a fag, shake it off. We meant it exactly the way you meant it."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Ashley (view post)
    Oh no, he wasn't right about that obviously. But that's hardly the only thing the fight was about. I can't imagine he would have gone off like that if he hadn't just had his life uprooted without any say in the matter, while being forced into a thoroughly uncomfortable situation. Personally, I don't care if it was a guy or a girl, I wouldn't want to share a bedroom with someone I knew had a crush on me.

Not to mention that Finn would never had been allowed to (much less expected to) share a room with a teenage girl. The gender in this case is different, but the sexuality - and therefore the awkwardness - remains.

He was right to be upset about things, but he went way overboard in how he handled it. But hey, he's a teenager. It happens.

I agree that Kurt's being painted as too much of an angel, here. He's been incredibly manipulative throughout the whole thing. I like him, but someone needs to call him out on his crap. Its borderline creepy.

Best Boy
    Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I think the point is though, no matter how angry you are you never have the right to devolve into slurs and insults. The great thing about the scene is you know Finn isn't really like that so it hurts to see him chastised so much, but at the same time he did go too far and it is a father's place to stick up for his son.
    That I agree with entirely, and I loved Burt's speech. I just wish that the issues that led to Finn snapping in the first place had been addressed too.

I agree that Kurt's been given just a bit of a free ride here, and his own manipulations, while chalked up to impetuous youth, should definitely be called out. The scene is so great because it handles several angles at once (even if it does not fully satisfy everyone) and does so deftly and with much truth.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I thought the handling of that issue was utterly dopey. But that's par for the course on this show. Kurt's kind of a sanctimonious dick.

Also, wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to have Idina Menzel sing "Poker Face" as a demonstration of Gaga-esque theatricality, and then have mother and daughter duet on "Funny Girl"? Man, the writing on this show is so frustrating in its stupidity.

I did like that the glee club rehearsals involve pyrotechnics now. That's kind of amusing.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I just realized that there are only 3 guys writing this show.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    also I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but not only did it get a second season renewal, it also got a third season renewal.

Little note for this week.

Fox pulled their usual crap, it appears.

Originally last week's episode ("Theatricality") was supposed to be the last episode before Regionals. Because of the Gaga factor and May sweeps, Fox demanded that the order of "Theatricality" and "Funk" (which is what airs this week) be swapped in the lineup to take advantage of the Gaga numbers during sweeps.

This led to several scenes needing to be completely edited out of the two episodes in order for them to make sense.

(As an example, apparently Rachel finds out about Jesse being back in Vocal Adrenaline in Theatricality, but they had to remove it because in Funk, she is still clueless about it - or something in that vein. its sooo stupid).

It infuriates me that right after they renew it for a THIRD season, they pull this crap. Nice to see things haven't changed over there.

:crazy:

Jane Lynch is too good of an actress and made those two scenes almost hurt a little too much. Brief moments when a serious sadness was just about to break open.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

That pregnant number broke my mind. Quinn's singing butchered the song, but the back-up dancers were so insane that I couldn't decide if I was loving it or hating it.

Other than that, I'm kind of underwhelmed. Sue's revenge was definitely the best scene, though I kinda loved how Kurt joined in when Finn was calling on all the guys to go fight, but was the first to sit down when Will told them to stop.
    Movie Theater Diary

Hm, I liked Quinn's singing just fine. Though I'm really probably not as attuned to this sort of thing as other people I suppose. I have never thought any of them sound less than good.

Mediocre episode overall though.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Yeah the pregnant dancers need their own show. I don't mean a whole series. Just one show would be fine.

--Homer

Quinn's voice is okay for what it is, but she can't growl. She just sounds silly.

Will's character is becoming a bigger douche weekly.

I really didn't enjoy this episode much. Sue wearing pearls with her track suit on her date was hilarious, though, and Brittany wearing her cheerleading outfit backwards.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yeah, I pretty much thought his scheme was a giant dick move. And it was even dickier that he got the idea from Jesse breaking Rachel's heart. I mean, what?
    Movie Theater Diary

I wasn't much of a fan of the episode, but it seemed to me that a) Quinn's performance was not really supposed to sound perfect but more about the emotion behind it, proving she (to pull from Party Down), "gets" the blues and da funk and b) we were supposed to find Will's move rather dick-ish; he even owns up to it and claims that he ran out of methods of getting Sue to back off.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Haha.

Movie Theater Diary

For some reason, I'm finding it really hard to plow through the show... I fell behind a while back, there are four episodes waiting on the hard drive and I've caught up with all the shows I had missed (even cancelled ones) instead of Glee...

So, yeah, umm...

Vocal Adrenaline deserved to win.
    Movie Theater Diary

Hm, maybe, but I'll take Freddie Mercury any day over Jonathan Groff.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

I was mostly giving points for the dance routine.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    So, yeah, umm...

Vocal Adrenaline deserved to win.
    Yes.

I'm so glad Quinn gave up the baby. I was getting seriously annoyed by the "ADOPTION IS BAD AND YOU WILL REGRET IT FOREVER" vibe from the Rachel storyline. They closed the plot up nicely.

And I'm a secret fan of "To Sir, With Love." I sing it at full voice only if I'm alone in the car.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I'm glad she gave up the baby, I'm not thrilled that it was her who adopted it. Talk about awkward.

"No, Rachel, I want to have a daughter, but you're too old now. I want a cute baby, not a teenager. Hey, your friend just gave birth, right?"
    Movie Theater Diary

I want them to cast Rachel's dads so we can meet them next year.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I'm glad she gave up the baby, I'm not thrilled that it was her who adopted it. Talk about awkward.

"No, Rachel, I want to have a daughter, but you're too old now. I want a cute baby, not a teenager. Hey, your friend just gave birth, right?"
    Bitchface rejects Rachel then adopts Quinn's babe?

*fury*

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast