Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO's A Game of Thrones

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    And now I'm done with Season One.

That Joffrey kid is spectacular at being awful. Loving Arya, Jon, Danaerys, and Tyrion obviously. Although the first season definitely earns a more "fantasy" ending, it still felt bizarre to see CGI creatures in such an otherwise successful reality. Kickass, but bizarre.

The whole "sexposition" thing is absurd. I loved Littlefinger explaining power dynamics while the two prostitutes were getting busy. Less so when the old guy was talking while Sansa was walking around naked. That seemed a little worse, given her young age and his reiteration of esoterica.

That wasn't Sansa. That was Ros, one of the prostitutes from the Littlefinger scene (which I thought was awful).

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    That wasn't Sansa. That was Ros, one of the prostitutes from the Littlefinger scene (which I thought was awful).
    Oh thank God. I was so confused. They have a similar look and their hair done up in a similar way, and I couldn't remember Ros.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    and I couldn't remember Ros.
    This happened to me literally about 3 or 4 times in the series, every time she would show up I'd be like "who's that?" Turns out it's Ros.

Ciaran Hinds will be Mance Rayder.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

All caught up. I can't imagine any of these opinions are new, but:

Jack Gleeson is tremendously hateable as Joffrey.

Wonderful that Sansa isn't the only daughter of Ed Stark to inherit her father's toughness. Arya's been awesome since the beginning, but Sansa's developed into a woman of subtle but equal resilience.

This show doesn't need as many boobs as it thinks it does.

Good war action in the penultimate episode. Funny how the best stuff, though, is watching Tyrion do things, like wait for a boat to hit its mark or rally the troops, or watch a betrayal. Peter Dinklage allows the scenes a real focus and intimacy that makes the battle work as more than tactical sound and fury.

Catelyn made some weird decisions here that seemed out of character for her, given her stalwart steadiness earlier in the season. Releasing Jaime? Da fuq? Robb's making an idiot decision marrying that nursemaid-whatever, but that seems a little less egregious.

Varys and Littlefinger need a spinoff sitcom that makes them Machiavellian opponents in a New York apartment.

Didn't like how Jon and Danaerys mostly treaded water for the second season. They're good actors, and it feels like they were left out to dry (I know I'm mixing metaphors). It was a wonderful surprise to see Drogo in that dream-sequence-heaven-space place.

I guess smoke-assassins are a one-time-use only thing...?

Strong teaser for season three.

- - - - -
    Wonderful that Sansa isn't the only daughter of Ed Stark to inherit her father's toughness. Arya's been awesome since the beginning, but Sansa's developed into a woman of subtle but equal resilience.
    Sansa was a great character in this season. They did a great job making her more likeable, and often she was the only character who felt like they were consistently in real danger.

I'm only halfway through season 2 but it's a major disappointment so far compared to season 1. Robb and Joffrey have only been in half the episodes and Daneirus gets one dull scene and then is forgotten about. The greeting outside Qarth was a real lowpoint for this show in terms of writing, tension, acting, editing, and story. A total bust. I think Jaime has had one scene this entire season. Renley and John Snow's scenes just seem repetitive. Stanis seems like a mysterious force and the birth of his son was pretty cool but he himself is a dull character. Aria has the most engaging story so far. I guess Bronn will turn into a wolf and the Stark's ward will attack Robb to please his father and Bronn will eat him. I dunno, just not doing it for me so far.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

That's weird how perception varies. I've found S2 an improvement over S1 from the get go.

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    I'm only halfway through season 2 but it's a major disappointment so far compared to season 1. Robb and Joffrey have only been in half the episodes and Daneirus gets one dull scene and then is forgotten about. The greeting outside Qarth was a real lowpoint for this show in terms of writing, tension, acting, editing, and story. A total bust. I think Jaime has had one scene this entire season. Renley and John Snow's scenes just seem repetitive. Stanis seems like a mysterious force and the birth of his son was pretty cool but he himself is a dull character. Aria has the most engaging story so far. I guess Bronn will turn into a wolf and the Stark's ward will attack Robb to please his father and Bronn will eat him. I dunno, just not doing it for me so far.
    ? When they open the doors to Qarth was awesome.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    ? When they open the doors to Qarth was awesome.
    Felt like I was watching a high school play with all the exaggerated theatrics. Saw ep 6 last night and the scene with the spice merchant refusing Kaleesi ships was equally as bad. It might just be that actor that sucks.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Soooooooo I watched the first four episodes yesterday and now I can't stop watching. Am I going to keep watching until I'm caught up now?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Soooooooo I watched the first four episodes yesterday and now I can't stop watching. Am I going to keep watching until I'm caught up now?
    Yes, you are.

March 31st can't come soon enough.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Episode 5 and 6 in the books. These episodes all end with great cliffhangers. at Are we a spoiler free thread here?

I'd imagine this series can't go on much longer. The cost to produce these episodes must be so high.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'd imagine this series can't go on much longer. The cost to produce these episodes must be so high.
    It's one of HBO's flagship shows at the moment.

There is absolutely no way HBO is cancelling it. It is the most popular show they have right now.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Adding a few minutes to each episode this season will be nice. It's not much, but it'll amount to about an extra episodes worth of footage, and this year they'll definitely need it.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    There is absolutely no way HBO is cancelling it. It is the most popular show they have right now.
    It gets better ratings than True Blood? By a wide margin?

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    It gets better ratings than True Blood? By a wide margin?
    Nah, it's #2 in ratings, but it broke the record for HBO's DVD sales, beating True Blood, The Sopranos and Sex & The City.

Also, True Blood isn't winning any Emmys.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Oh fuck @ Episode 7.

WTF? What the hell is that zombie thing in Episode 8?

WTF? What the hell is that zombie thing in Episode 8?
    Did you miss the opening scene in the pilot?

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Also, True Blood isn't winning any Emmys.
    And rightly so.

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    Did you miss the opening scene in the pilot?
    Of course. That doesn't explain my question though. I wasn't expecting this show to take an X-files turn....

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Of course. That doesn't explain my question though. I wasn't expecting this show to take an X-files turn....
    It's a fantasy series, not science fiction. They are not technically "zombies" though they do more or less function the same.

But to Lucky's point, we already saw these creatures in the very first scene. The series never "took a turn," it was already there. It just doesn't dwell on the fantastical as much as a lot of similar type of stories. It's a little more gritty and concerned with the human and political drama.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast