Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO's A Game of Thrones

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Theon's return home had him come face-to-face with his real father and in the absence of his surrogate in Ned Stark he has no real allegiance except to his heritage and he makes a rash decision to honor his father and family and to prove himself an ironborn. He immediately proves inept in this role as well.
    Exactly. It's a rash decision so it's meant to appear sudden. He was expecting to be welcomed home as, even as he stressed to his father, it's not as if he chose to live with the Starks all those years. He felt embarrassed and outcast, so he made a bold move that he thought would impress his father.

The Arya/Tywin scenes are definitely the highlights in every episode these days.

The dragon steal cliffhanger was a little lame since I think we can be pretty certain that nothing will happen to them (although as Martin has proved, no one or thing is safe), but I absolutely adore The Spice King. I hope that somehow he and Tyrion get at least one conversation together.

Quote Quoting Glass Co. (view post)
    The Arya/Tywin scenes are definitely the highlights in every episode these days.

The dragon steal cliffhanger was a little lame since I think we can be pretty certain that nothing will happen to them (although as Martin has proved, no one or thing is safe), but I absolutely adore The Spice King. I hope that somehow he and Tyrion get at least one conversation together.
    Extremely doubtful.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    It's been a little fast, yes, but I think as I alluded to before, the shadow of the death of Ned Stark has really stretched into this season, particularly in Theon. When with Robb and the northerners he was still with their cause, the legacy of the family that has raised him, quasi-prisoner/servant or not. Theon's return home had him come face-to-face with his real father and in the absence of his surrogate in Ned Stark he has no real allegiance except to his heritage and he makes a rash decision to honor his father and family and to prove himself an ironborn. He immediately proves inept in this role as well.
    Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Exactly. It's a rash decision so it's meant to appear sudden. He was expecting to be welcomed home as, even as he stressed to his father, it's not as if he chose to live with the Starks all those years. He felt embarrassed and outcast, so he made a bold move that he thought would impress his father.
    So I guess my question to you both then is -- how fast would you turn? From the Starks to the family that essentially abandoned you and then derided you to your face years later?

I had assumed Theon had lived with the Starks since childhood. The relationship to his own family isn't really mentioned much on the show, which is why I'm trying to make sense of it.

(I did think Bran asking him "Did you really hate us the whole time?" was very good, as was Theon saying of another to the wilder woman "He had no honor and no loyalty in him," without realization the contradiction of his own situation.)

I understand where you're going with that, Irish, but this show isn't set in our world or time. Asking when we would change is apples to oranges. In the GoT world they make it a serious point that your name defines you. John Snow, Lannisters, Starks, Baratheons, Tullys, et al. And how many times have we heard Daenarys Targaryan spout off her ancestry in high emotion? Theon will never be a Stark and he knows that. His true shot at glory and honor is through his family crest. That's what drives these people in this world. Martin includes extensive family trees in the appendices of his novels for good reason.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    I understand where you're going with that, Irish, but this show isn't set in our world or time. Asking when we would change is apples to oranges. In the GoT world they make it a serious point that your name defines you. John Snow, Lannisters, Starks, Baratheons, Tullys, et al. And how many times have we heard Daenarys Targaryan spout off her ancestry in high emotion? Theon will never be a Stark and he knows that. His true shot at glory and honor is through his family crest. That's what drives these people in this world. Martin includes extensive family trees in the appendices of his novels for good reason.
    Good point. It's a rigid caste system and your point about the names in particular makes a lot of sense.

There's also the scene where Tywin dusts off an ancient book to show someone who some lesser house owes allegiance to. It's not something exactly set in stone, but those are traditions and oaths that don't go away easily. Your name does define you.

- - - - -

Dinklage on the cover of Rolling Stone. Article text doesn't seem to be online yet.

- - - - -
    [youtube]p1GvOfIuxlA[/youtube]

In case 30 seconds isn't enough for you...

[youtube]PTt8_09b0QY[/youtube]

No. No it can't be.

[
    ]

Also, really hoping Arya/Tywin don't end up at the cliche they're jauntily bounding toward. Still great fun tho.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I now have HBOGO so I was able to watch this right after it aired, I'm very excited about that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this may have been the most nudity light episodes ever. I think there was only one exposed male bottom and that's it.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this may have been the most nudity light episodes ever. I think there was only one exposed male bottom and that's it.
    there was one couple weeks ago with no nudity at all.

that ending... yeah, i can't believe it.

and the tywin/arya scenes have been the highlight of every episode since their inception. so well written, it boggles the mind when people remind me they aren't in the books.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    No. No it can't be.

[
    ]
    [
    ]

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    [
    ]
    Uh.....
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

- - - - -
    Also, what did everyone think of the scenes with Cersei?

That's twice in one episode where she's made to be sympathetic; pretty big change from every representation of her to date.

One of my issues with the show is that the Lannisters, while occasionally great villains, are pretty cartoonish characters. They're one sided, mustache-twirling people, always seemingly one step away from tying somebody to railroad tracks.

This episode takes pains to make Cersei more accessible, and I'm wondering if that's a genuine broadening of the character or, more simply, she's actively playing at something else.

Same goes with Jaime (strange they're both openly admitting to incest now too).

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    and the tywin/arya scenes have been the highlight of every episode since their inception. so well written, it boggles the mind when people remind me they aren't in the books.
    Wow they're not? Now you've just blown my mind.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    One of my issues with the show is that the Lannisters, while occasionally great villains, are pretty cartoonish characters. They're one sided, mustache-twirling people, always seemingly one step away from tying somebody to railroad tracks.
    I don't think much of Cersei, though it may have more to do with Headey's performance, which I think is one-note and not always convincing. But I think Tywin refutes the notion of cartoonish Lannisters. He's shown more shades than villainy. I think Jaime hasn't been given quite enough to do overall, especially in S2 when he's been perma-chained, but what he has done has been pretty good. Then you have Tyrion, who can't possibly be described in that way. He's a great character, rich in intricacy if you ask me.

EDIT: Joffrey, of course, is a roiling ball of malice, the little shit.

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    roiling ball of malice, the little shit.
    I am remembering this description for all time. ALL TIME

Okay, now I'm all caught up on Game of Thrones. And I have to say that the season has had its ups and downs while also floundering around a bit in the first couple of episodes. However, the last batch of episodes has seen the show regain its footing a bit and become interesting and engaging again.

That said, I find the Starks really dull. The Lannisters are way more interesting, and at least they are honest about their goals. I liked the scene where Robb is confronted about the war he's fighting, and how he's kind of ignoring the negative effects of the conflict.

As for the end of the latest episode: [
    ]
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

on the contrary i've found season 2 to be much better than season 1, which i already kind of loved.

I, too, am finding S2 an improvement over the first, especially since I wasn't blown away by the second book. They very wisely skimmed through the first 3/4 of material and decided to focus the season on the part where things actually happen.

Also, one subplot from the novel I figured they wouldn't throw away (or at least haven't included yet) is...

[
    ]

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Okay, now I'm all caught up on Game of Thrones. And I have to say that the season has had its ups and downs while also floundering around a bit in the first couple of episodes. However, the last batch of episodes has seen the show regain its footing a bit and become interesting and engaging again.

That said, I find the Starks really dull. The Lannisters are way more interesting, and at least they are honest about their goals. I liked the scene where Robb is confronted about the war he's fighting, and how he's kind of ignoring the negative effects of the conflict.

As for the end of the latest episode: [
    ]
    As opposed to?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Jaime becomes a much more interesting character, probably within the next few episodes. He's anything but a mustache-twirling villain, which was the main reason adding his recent murder in the cell was a terrible decision. He's one of the most interesting characters in the books, but the show really has only shown one side of him. His line about always breaking one vow while trying to preserve another is a good hint they're taking him in the right direction.

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast