Page 515 of 515 FirstFirst ... 15415465505513514515
Results 12,851 to 12,865 of 12865

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

My brother and I are watching Ken Burns and Lynne Novick's The Vietnam War. To say that we are mesmerized is an understatement.
    MOVIES

• Suspiria (Argento, 1977) ♦♦♦ -- rewatch
    • The Predator (Black, 2018) ♦♦
    • A Star is Born (Cooper, 2018) ♦♦♦½
    • Sleepless in Seattle (Ephron, 1993) ♦♦
    • Lukas (Leclercq, 2018) ♦♦♦
    • The Meg (Turteltaub, 2018) ♦♦½
    • Ant-Man and the Wasp (Reed, 2018) ♦♦½
    • Skyscraper (Thurber, 2018) ♦♦½
    • Blow Out (De Palma, 1981) ♦♦♦
    • Tomb Raider (Uthaug, 2018) ♦½
    • Mission Impossible - Fallout (McQuarrie, 2018) ♦♦♦♦
    • Sicario: Day of the Soldado (Sollima, 2018) ♦♦½

TV

• The Vietnam War (2017) ♦♦♦♦ // Homeland (S7) ♦♦♦♦ // The Bridge (SE/DK) (S4) ♦♦♦♦
    • The Americans (S6) ♦♦♦♦ // The Walking Dead (S8) ♦♦♦ // Designated Survivor (S2) ♦♦

-----------------------------------------------------
    More FBI Guys

Finished recent new season of Voltron. Gotta admit, I thought it was slow going at first, but hoo boy it absolutely catches fire in second half and barrels to a stupendous finish. Really exciting to see what happens in the next (last?) season. I could offer some minor faults, but the great parts are so effective it seems silly.

And ffs [
    ]
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Finished recent new season of Voltron. Gotta admit, I thought it was slow going at first, but hoo boy it absolutely catches fire in second half and barrels to a stupendous finish. Really exciting to see what happens in the next (last?) season. I could offer some minor faults, but the great parts are so effective it seems silly.
    Indeed. I believe from episode 6 onwards, it was the strongest stretch of the whole show, and that's saying something since the show has been fantastic for the last 3-4 seasons.

And ffs [
    ]
    Shiro is too good for this sinful world.

One of the things about the show that I have a lot of admiration for is how it takes what otherwise would be pretty damn tropey elements ([
    ]) and somehow actually makes them still work. I think that's a creditable tribute to the writing and directing as well as voice acting. It knows when to use tropes flatly and when to subvert them. It's just good fun.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    One of the things about the show that I have a lot of admiration for is how it takes what otherwise would be pretty damn tropey elements ([
    ]) and somehow actually makes them still work. I think that's a creditable tribute to the writing and directing as well as voice acting. It knows when to use tropes flatly and when to subvert them. It's just good fun.
    Indeed. It's nearly flawless at that.

I watched Final Space. It was really, really good. It was fairly funny the first few episodes, although Gary, the main guy, was getting dangerously close to a Seth MacFarlane kind of character, sort of annoying; however, he got progressively better (and actually likable) while the show became more dramatic and emotional. The last five episodes were really strong.

Can't wait for S2.

Wouldn't have thought it, but Iron Fist S2 is a quantum leap over not only over S1 but also all the other recent seasons of Marvel shows.

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Anyone else watching this? I just finished it and it does feel like something made by someone who worked on Avatar: It has a rich world, lovable characters, it's inclusive and passes the Bechdel test without calling attention to it and most importantly, it has a story that's full of details and it seems like it's been exhaustly thought out.
    So far it has an excellent first season and potential to be so much more.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Just swinging in to say the original Dark Shadows TV show is fantastic without ever being "good." But it exposes "good" as a borderline useless qualifier. Part of the joy is the metanarrative of watching the actors triumph over camp dialogue and shoddy setwork and doing their best to convince us that the stories and emotions have coherence and thought. The show fascinates and endears.

From Guillermo del Toro.