Page 512 of 524 FirstFirst ... 12412462502510511512513514522 ... LastLast
Results 12,776 to 12,800 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Loved the first two eps but got bored midway through the season. It does the teen drama better than the superpower stuff and the more it tips to the latter the worse the show got. The action/chase scene in ep 5 was embarrassing to watch.
    Episode 9 of Runaways (released today) was pretty bad, and here it even misconstrues the teen drama for excess, pausing for sex (rather than a brief diversion) and embraced lesbianism from characters that hadn't seemingly shown an interest toward it before this episode. It's an odd move for [
    ] Not sure how the showrunners can land this ship if it's only a 10-episode season.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

- - - - -
    Loved the first two eps but got bored midway through the season. It does the teen drama better than the superpower stuff and the more it tips to the latter the worse the show got.
    It isn't a good show and I wish they could do a straight-ahead teen drama with this same cast. Because, unlike most ensemble whatevers, I get a kick out of every actor and every storyline.

Except for the dude playing the main villain. He's a terrible (and I'm pretty sure Doctor Doom in one of the failed "Fantastic Four" franchises?). All the superpower stuff is ridiculous without being fun, which is a tricky balance but one that even the CW gets right.

The action/chase scene in ep 5 was embarrassing to watch.
    This is true, but luckily (?!) years of terrible fight choreography on "Arrow" and "Flash" have made me almost numb to embarrassing TV action scenes.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    It isn't a good show and I wish they could do a straight-ahead teen drama with this same cast. Because, unlike most ensemble whatevers, I get a kick out of every actor and every storyline.
    That's why I really dug it at first, but yeah. This is one of those shows where a character somehow became less interesting and likable when she got a pet velociraptor. How is that possible.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    How is that possible.
    It's better not to ask questions. Like how somebody could writer 8 or 9 hours of a tv show called "The Runaways," in which which nobody runs away.

- - - - -
    My mantra, often repeated during viewing, is "I remember to comic being a lot better than this."

Holy crap, how did I not know anything about Rachel Brosnahan until now? We just saw the first episode of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and... wow.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Some scattered TV thoughts:

- A podcast I listen to (Misandry with Marcia and Rae) had stopped updating for a few months and I didn't know why. They just suddenly came back with a new ep this week and was able to reveal that it's because Rae has moved across the country to LA to join the writing staff for the next season of The Good Place. What a weird whiplash of emotions! Apparently Mike Schur is pretty unorthodox in how he staffs his writer's room because she said he saw her twitter and just offered her the job there, and she hadn't even seen the show before that so she had to binge watch it quickly.

- High Maintenance is back and is as good as ever. The latest ep was written and directed by someone other than the creators, which is a big departure from the show usually. It's really easy to forget about this show when it's not on, but every episode I watch reminds me why it's my favorite show. No other show just flat-out loves people and is willing to give their pov a spotlight like it does.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    I hope you guys recorded "NCIS" because it was an exceptionally good episode this week.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I forgot Angie Tribeca was a thing, so re-watched the first seven episodes this weekend. Sometimes it's simply misfiring, but love that Airplane! spirit where you know there'll be some good laughs in the next scene. One of the weirder sources of laughs is a street walk scene where the filmmakers screw with continuity just for the hell of it. It starts small, with a kid with a backpack in the background walking into a house, then approaching the house, then walking up the steps. Then it escalates to mismatched clothes, the wrong food in characters' hands, and entirely different actors (maybe the cast stand-ins?). It's not funny, but I had to rewatch the bit three times to catch all the errors, and the way they piled up was so impressive that I laughed at the effort.

MVP is Jere Burns as the gruff police chief.

Teddy Perkins.

Holy fucking shit.

Producer
    Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Teddy Perkins.

Holy fucking shit.
    I started watching it near midnight and 10 minutes in I was like nopeeee I'm gonna wait till morning because I need to sleep tonight (just the something-not-quite-right atmosphere and dread of waiting for anything to happen were enough to get nearly nightmare-fuel for me). Incredible episode though.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Just learned that Hill Street Blues is on Hulu, and that makes me unreasonably happy. We did some caption reformatting for the show a few years ago, and I was struck by how likable and naturalistic and mature the show was.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I've been watching it since it was released (and even re-watching some episodes with people who hadn't seen them yet) but just wanted to mention that the new Queer Eye is extremely good.

Like, the structure is fairly standard (if still very slickly produced), and the ways it mines its stories are pretty transparent (if still deeply effective), but the group is so charismatic and all uniquely entertaining and insightful, and the show is just so much fun. Also if you're like me, it'll likely choke you up way more than you expect.

Apparently they've wisely already filmed Season 2, but until I find out it's coming out tomorrow, it is too far away.

Also newly on Netflix, Nailed It is way funnier and more entertaining than it has any reason to be.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the new Queer Eye. I didn't even know they were doing it until Adam Savage, of all people, gushed about it on his podcast.

Producer
    Two episodes into The Expanse's third season and it's still the best sci-fi show currently on air right now. I remember people having misgiving about the first season, and I also found it very solid and intriguing, if probably too faithful/literal in adaptation -- I haven't read the books but it has the feeling of plot suffocating characters a bit -- but season two is a huge improvement and a great, exciting season, one of my top 5 shows last year. The third looks to continue that streak. The first two seasons are on (non-US?) Netflix if anyone wants to check it out.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    After a couple of days of widespread anguish and increasing despair, NBC has officially picked up Brooklyn Nine-Nine for Season 6.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Designated Survivor has been cancelled. Seann William Scott replaces Clayne Crawford on Lethal Weapon, but not as Riggs.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    haa!

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

There's a rumour the new Lord of the Rings series will focus on young Aragorn.

https://nerdist.com/lord-of-the-ring...ggo-mortensen/
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Well... that escalated quickly.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    With the grand finale of Season 3 this week I'm pretty sure now The Expanse is my favorite sci-fi show, or at the very least, the best-plotted I've seen (supposedly a benefit of adapting a series of books where the authors already plan the whole thing in advance, and also have a hand in its adaptation). And now the long wait for next season without being tempted to read these books.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5