Page 51 of 524 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

I'm going to use that list of recs of yours, Qrazy, starting with Serei no Moribito and Mobile Suit Gundam 00's first season, because after Welcome to the NHK, I've pretty much exhausted my backlog of downloaded stuff (I thought I had more). Started rewatching Kemonozume last night, but that's only going to last me so long.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I'm going to use that list of recs of yours, Qrazy, starting with Serei no Moribito and Mobile Suit Gundam 00's first season, because after Welcome to the NHK, I've pretty much exhausted my backlog of downloaded stuff (I thought I had more). Started rewatching Kemonozume last night, but that's only going to last me so long.
    Definitely watch Seirei. Mobile Suit is decent but don't set your hopes too high. Have you seen Last Exile or Brave Story? They're both quality.

Oh I watched Now and Then, Here and There as well... childish animation but very brutal and powerful story.

This is what I've been using for most of these shows. Here's Seirei...

http://tv.blinkx.com/show/seirei-no-...GR5vITblxeLduA
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Last Exile
    Seconded. One of my favorites. If you happen to like steampunk - a definite, rare must.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Seconded. One of my favorites. If you happen to like steampunk - a definite, rare must.
    What did you think of Steamboy? I was so disappointed. Wonderfully animated, very poor narrative.

You should check out Brave Story if you haven't yet (since it's directed by the Last Exile guy)... it's not steampunk but it is fairly good.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

What did you think of Steamboy? I was so disappointed. Wonderfully animated, very poor narrative.
    That about sums it up. Couldn't even finish it in the end.

You should check out Brave Story if you haven't yet (since it's directed by the Last Exile guy)... it's not steampunk but it is fairly good.
    Will do. I've been out of anime for some time, I should get back to watching the good stuff.

Good Lord, Steamboy was beautiful, visually. Don't remember a damn thing about the narrative other than not finding it very engaging or... well, memorable.

Will definitely check out Last Exile and Brave Story.

Last Exile goes downhill once the main plot kicks in at the halfway point or so. Starts out strong but I ended up not liking it very much.

I actually really liked the main story... especially the way a lot of it is left to guessing, which is why many hated the ending.

Yeah I liked the main story of Last Exile as well. While I suppose I do think the first half was better, more world building etc the second half delivered as well for me.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I hated Steamboy. I saw it in theaters where it had an english dub and really disliked it so i decided to give it a try on dvd with the japanese track but no it still sucked. Great visuals though.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    A friend of me gave me several anime to watch. The problem is: he downloads pretty much everything and his taste isn't all that good.

Anyone know if any of these are good?
    • Armitage III
    • Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
    • Black Lagoon
    • Bleach (how can this be good? Even the people who like it tell me there's too much filler)
    • Ergo Proxy
    • Noir
    • Macross Plus
    • Mushishi
    • Planetes
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I thought Ergo Proxy was good. I would recommend you watch it, EvilShoe.

Wouldn't really recommend Black Lagoon.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I really liked the few episodes of Noir I saw and Planetes has come highly recommended by a lot of people.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I thought Ergo Proxy was good. I would recommend you watch it, EvilShoe.
    Definitely. First anime series to be broadcast in HD, btw.

Out of those, Macross Plus is a classic. A "sequel" to the Robotech/Macross saga, stands on its own, and has awesome music by Yoko Kanno.

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Thanks for the recs.
    I'll be sure to check those out next.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Mushishi has a great atmosphere. I really like it.

Ergo Proxy is very well animated, has moments of excellence but ultimately devolves into Matrix sequels-esque pseudo-philosophical wankery. For instance one of the main characters is named Real, I mean come on it's like they're not even trying.

Black Lagoon I've found to be fairly enjoyable, particularly after the fifth episode and on. The narrative becomes more character driven and you sort of start to care about these people. It's not great though, I wouldn't prioritize it.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Ergo Proxy is very well animated, has moments of excellence but ultimately devolves into Matrix sequels-esque pseudo-philosophical wankery. For instance one of the main characters is named Real, I mean come on it's like they're not even trying.
    I'll endorse this. It's still a good show but it's ultimately difficult to watch.
    If it wasn't for the visuals, the music and the fact that the lead is one of the hottest animated females ever... well...

I've rewatched Kemonozume up to episode 9, putting myself about two-thirds of the way through. This series is phenomenal.

Now's about the time in the series, though, that the show takes some really strange turns and kind of lost me last time. Now that I know where it's headed I can kind of see that it does support its later development somewhat in its earlier episodes. I'm anxious to see how the ending plays out for me this time.

anyone else watch Dollhouse last night? i thought it was ok. has potential.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    I'm about to watch it. Whedon has spoken quite often about the troubles with the production and the main thing to remember right now is - give it six episodes to establish the world and the character interactions.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    I thought it was pretty terrible. You couldn't even tell it was written by Whedon, I think. It was so devoid of humor and has no sense of world-building the way he set up Sunnydale or the Firefly world. It was pretty much Generic FOX Show #16.

I'll keep watching, but man, it did not have a good start. I can tell you right now that this is going to get canceled.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Also, I nearly turned it off when Helo had that conversation with his superiors and Whedon metaphorically inserts a boxing match. Gag.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

the boxing match was odd. whedon has said he doesn't want this show to have the witty dialogue like serenity and buffy. he wants to focus more on ideas. i didn't think it was great. i'll hang in there for a few more weeks i think it could develop into something good.

It's a very shallow idea, though. I've read him voicing his hatred for Weird Science because he hates the idea of women being used for male fantasies, and I think all he wants to do with Dollhouse is to show how awful it is to use women as personal toys. I get it, he hates prostitution. But if every episode is going to have the formula of an engagement gone wrong, turning into kidnapping/investigations/whatever situations, I'm not interested. Hopefully there's more to the show than what the first ep introduced.
    Movie Theater Diary

I wasn't offput by the first episode of Dollhouse. I'm not in love or anything, but I'm going to be tuning in to see what happens. I'm very intrigued by the supporting characters.

And that last scene was hook-worthy.
    ...and the milk's in me.