Page 503 of 524 FirstFirst ... 3403453493501502503504505513 ... LastLast
Results 12,551 to 12,575 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Lady Dynamite was more interesting-funny than laugh-out-loud funny, if you know what I mean, but that all changed when Bert picked up a guitar and started singing.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Lady Dynamite was more interesting-funny than laugh-out-loud funny, if you know what I mean, but that all changed when Bert picked up a guitar and started singing.
    My roommate (who just lost her mother) was sad and tired last night so I showed her the Bert-singing scene and she laughed and laughed.

Bert: healer of broken hearts.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Producer
    Finished Season 2 of Person of Interest. Never knew how much I need Amy Acker and Michael Emerson acting the hell out of each other in my life so much. "Revelance" melts my brain in its awesomeness, and then the final two episodes are so tantalizingly heart-pounding. My second favorite procedural ever after The Good Wife now.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Peaky Blinders is still good, but I'm feeling less of a return on investment than I used to. Season 1 was terrific, season 2 was good, and season 3 is more of the same. It may sound strange to say this about a show that tries so hard to make us gasp (brutal beatdowns! train explosions! orgies with exiled Russian aristocrats!) but it feels like it is playing things pretty safe.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Aaaaaand Mr. Robot season 1 is streaming on Amazon Prime in time for you to get caught up before season 2 (or the Cutties.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Bert: healer of broken hearts.

I've watched this about six times now.
    ...and the milk's in me.

The funniest parts of that scene, upon multiple re-watches: [
    ]
    Last edited by Mara; 06-13-2016 at 07:22 PM.
    ...and the milk's in me.

So Mary Elizabeth Winstead apparently got a show on CBS with a goofy premise and I think I'll watch it?

http://www.avclub.com/review/cbs-pol...bracesi-237963
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

So I had heard that the new season of Orange is the New Black was good, but I wasn't prepared for how good. After the revolutionary first season, the next two seasons were really just sort of more of the same. The show didn't really go anywhere. It wasn't bad, but it didn't feel fresh and Innovative anymore. But this new season really put me through the wringer this weekend. It might be the strongest season to date. I'm completely invested again. It finally feels like they're playing with live ammunition for the first time.
    ...and the milk's in me.

So I had heard that the new season of Orange is the New Black was good, but I wasn't prepared for how good. After the revolutionary first season, the next two seasons were really just sort of more of the same. The show didn't really go anywhere. It wasn't bad, but it didn't feel fresh and Innovative anymore. But this new season really put me through the wringer this weekend. It might be the strongest season to date. I'm completely invested again. It finally feels like they're playing with live ammunition for the first time.
    I don't know what to do about this (really good) news. My girlfriend and I abandoned ship a few episodes into season 3. Do you think we need to slog through the last seven episodes of it to get on board with season 4?

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I don't know what to do about this (really good) news. My girlfriend and I abandoned ship a few episodes into season 3. Do you think we need to slog through the last seven episodes of it to get on board with season 4?
    Same, minus the girlfriend. I'd love an answer to this question too.

Ehhhh season 3 was pretty disposable overall. I might recommend reading the synopsis on Wikipedia and/or watching the final episode of that season, which had some interesting imagery/setup for season 4.
    ...and the milk's in me.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Um, wow. Westworld might actually be worth its long wait.

Looks absolutely gorgeous. From the look of it, it might even be one of the few current things (especially new things) on TV shot on 35mm?
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Yeah, it looks less like the original movie and more like Blade Runner meets Deadwood. That is a combination I can get behind.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Bad news for Hulu subscribers, good news for Netflix subscribers.

Essentially, Hulu will soon no longer have CW shows on it. Instead, Netflix will put up full seasons of CW shows only two weeks after the season ends.

90% of my Hulu use are Criterion movies and CW shows, so I guess I'm closing my account later this year.
    Movie Theater Diary

Rami Malek's face is Good.

But his eyes are Really Really Good.

(Rewatching Mr. Robot for Cuttie reasons.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

After marathoning Hannibal last month, we've moved onto Outlander. There are some weak tropes in the first season, namely the tired betrayed woman sentiment that Laoghaire exhibits, but the show generally masks over those flaws by having a strong rapport between Claire and Jamie. We've finished episode 11, which seems to indicate (and IMDB backs this up) the end of Geillis, which is unfortunate since Lotte Verbeek's portrayal functioned as such a contemporary parallel for Claire's actions even before the reveal.

At this rate, we'll be adding Starz onto our Prime account and able to consider season 2 for the Matchies. W00t!
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

This rewatch of Mr. Robot has been really rewarding. It's a show with problems, but also has strong assets that make up the difference.

For me, here are the three things that I have to just kind of accept in order to enjoy the show (all of which I think could be fixable in the second season):

1. The worldview of the show is really simplistic. Corporations are bad, people are good. There's very little nuance.
    2. Several plot points are derivative, and a couple are stolen verbatim from the same source. I mean... come on.
    3. The character of Tyrell Wellick is so broad that I have trouble with every scene he's in. Every other character has dimensions and shading. His wife, for example, has a lot of the same qualities but she's far more intriguing.

The good:

1. Most of the cast is good, and Rami Malek is outstanding. This last year of television has really had lots of characters with mental illness, but his twitchy, awkward, glassy performance is something else. This is a character ill enough that nobody in his life can have an interaction with him without realizing how off he is even in his best moments.
    2. Without being slick or stylish, the show has a really defined and unique look. You wouldn't mistake a frame of this show for anything else on television.
    3. It's hard to pull off an unreliable narrator in a visual medium, but this really succeeds. Watching the show for the second time with a better idea of how much / how little I can trust Elliot's perception of what is happening was great.
    4. Many serialized tv shows struggle with keeping enough secrets to keep you invested, but giving out enough information to keep you interested. This show does a good job of answering a question before you're bored, while raising three new mysteries at the same time. There's stuff I really want to know in the new season.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    So Mary Elizabeth Winstead apparently got a show on CBS with a goofy premise and I think I'll watch it?

http://www.avclub.com/review/cbs-pol...bracesi-237963
    this is incredibly entertaining

also, if you don't mind getting spoiled for episode 1, i'm surprised how much i like the previously on recaps, which are done in the form of a song:

[]

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I don't imagine very many of you frequently watch John Krasinski & Stephen Merchant's inexplicably savvy way of turning their Lip Sync Battle bit from Fallon into its own Spike TV show, but as much as it's very superfluous and corny, if the celebrities battling are people I like enough -- Broad City gals, the cast of The Night Before, Alison Brie & Will Arnett, Clark Gregg & Hayley Atwell, Jim Rash & Joel McHale -- then I am definitely watching it and enjoy myself.

But a recent episode managed their most baffling but beautiful match-up ever: Rachel Bloom vs......... Michael Shannon.

Shannon was as game, awkward and adorable as you hope he would be. They even included a clip of him meeting John Legend backstage, in which he immediately excitedly mumbled, "Ah, yeah, you did MC Hammer!"

If you can find the full episode, I weirdly recommend it. There's no clips full enough on YouTube to really showcase the lovely weirdness of it all, but here's something that highlights the ending and post-show reactions, if you don't mind getting spoiled (lol).

[]
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 07-01-2016 at 08:07 PM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Producer
    I am too lazy to look the details up but I believe if this lasts more than this year, they are going to switch up the location every season.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

The Russos are making a Warriors tv show for Hulu.

Huh. Either they move it out of New York, or this'll have to be a period piece.
    Movie Theater Diary

Since most of my shows have ended and I've had a number of tasks recently that didn't require my full attention, I've been catching up on shows for the last several weeks.

Steven Universe: I'm only a dozen or so episodes in. I like it, but I'm not sure I get it exactly. I do know that Steven could really use some tough love. He's sheltered from the negative consequences of his own choices to an alarming extent.

Selfie: I had not interest in this but an internet friend strongly recommended it, and I found it much more rewarding than expected. Most of the charm comes from the two leads (John Cho is on fire in this) and the odd-couple witty banter between them. The throwback, judgmental premise was really unfortunate but a couple of seasons could have worked that out.

Drunk History: this is amazing. Why didn't anyone tell me this was amazing?

Enlightened: Oh boy. Lucky was singing this show's praises a couple of years ago and it's been sitting on my to-watch list since then. I worked through it over a couple of months, because I really did not find it to be binge-able. The writing, cast, and performances are all top-notch and I found myself moved almost to tears more often than I expected. It was also bitingly funny.

The main reason I couldn't just bust my way through it was how difficult I found the main character to be. Laura Dern is pitch-perfect as a woman who is, at least partially, a good person, but isn't nearly as good a person as she thinks she is. That kernel of truth buried in a swarm of self-delusion was emotionally exhausting to watch. Amy is such a wreck that you are pulling for her and really wishing someone would smack sense in to her at the same time, at all times.

Once I gave myself permission to watch the show when I felt up to it instead of in chunks, I enjoyed it much more. "Un-binge-able" isn't a criticism as it is a recommendation to let the show move at a more leisurely pace.
    ...and the milk's in me.

The writing, cast, and performances are all top-notch and I found myself moved almost to tears more often than I expected.
    Enlightened definitely has my highest tears to screen-time ratio of any show.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    So this show has come a long way in 15 years. Wow!

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?