Page 502 of 524 FirstFirst ... 2402452492500501502503504512 ... LastLast
Results 12,526 to 12,550 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Also, an open note to Outlander: [Should warn vague SPOILERS for most recent episode]

There is no conceivable reason to ever show us, as the audience, a visual depiction of a child being raped. You're better than that.

Don't be an asshole.

Sincerely, Your Viewers
    Last edited by Mara; 05-25-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    ...and the milk's in me.

People think Hiddleston should play Bond?

Hiddleston shouldn't play Bond. Don't be ridiculous.

Hiddleston should play Sir Percival Blakeney, Baronet, in a high-gloss BBC miniseries remake of The Scarlet Pimpernel; FIGHT ME.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I'm really into the fact that Gillian Anderson said she wants to do it.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I'm really into the fact that Gillian Anderson said she wants to do it.
    We're so close, 8. So. Close.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Guys. Guys. Why didn't you all tell me how good Hannibal was? Forgive the fact that multiple people totally told me how good Hannibal was. Season two was just as absurdly beautiful in all of the right kind of horror ways, and the finale of season two is just great set-up of cliffhanger moments, where everyone is bloody, bruised, and tempting me to mainline season 3 even faster. We're moving to Georgia at the end of the week and it seems that Georgia's library system is impeccable in interlibrary loans, so we're gonna have to wait out one agonizing week before continuing it since Amazon doesn't appear to be adding it to Prime anytime...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Season 3 is next-level amazing. It did the "We're probably getting cancelled anyway; let's stop taking it easy" thing.

Oooh, I need to rewatch it.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Anyone's watching Lady Dynamite on Netflix? It's great. Been a fan of Maria Bamford for a decade and the fusion of her comedic voice with Arrested Development style meta-ness works surprisingly well.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Hannibal was easily my favourite drama on TV and having loved it so much, watching as it aired week to week from Season 2 on, once it truly started to sink in that it was ending I unintentionally stopped watching and kept the rest of the episodes for myself later. But I'm finally finishing Season 3, having just watched maybe the most stunningly horrific episode of the whole thing for exactly one element [
    ], and officially moving my way into the [
    ] with the next one.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Anyone's watching Lady Dynamite on Netflix? It's great. Been a fan of Maria Bamford for a decade and the fusion of her comedic voice with Arrested Development style meta-ness works surprisingly well.
    Very unintentionally similar deal with me and Hannibal, but the first episode of it was so amazing I kind of want to just re-watch that and save all the others. Every scene felt like it was from a different series nevermind a different episode, in the absolute greatest way. Everything with Patton pulling her aside out of the scenes to stop her from falling into convention was incredible.

And holy shit Fred Melamed. After popping into this season of New Girl but absolutely not enough, his scenes killed me. Even stuff outside of him that his character just has, like the same picture of Andy Kindler framed twice in his office.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    And holy shit Fred Melamed. After popping into this season of New Girl but absolutely not enough, his scenes killed me. Even stuff outside of him that his character just has, like the same picture of Andy Kindler framed twice in his office.
    He was great in Casual (on Hulu) last season. In fact, that whole season was under-watched and under-appreciated. You all should go watch it.

Um... Eliza Coupe is naked in it. (This is true, but I am also trying to sneakily get you all to watch it.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Also, Peaky Blinders season 3 is on Netflix now.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Oh, you mean Pee-eeh Bwine-durst?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It's midnight. Literally just woke up and thought "I FORGOT THE CUTTIES"

Thread will go up tomorrow.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Oh, you mean Pee-eeh Bwine-durst?
    If it wasn't for subtitles I wouldn't have understood a single word Tom Hardy muttered last season.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    If it wasn't for subtitles I wouldn't have understood a single word Tom Hardy muttered last season.
    I read from the showrunner that the reason why so little of British television is set around the Birmingham area is the accents. No one wants to do it. But he's from there, so he was determined to get Brummies represented.
    Movie Theater Diary

I thought I wasn't gonna be surprised by any comic book adaptations anymore, but I was wrong. I can honestly say I never expected the announcement of an adult-oriented cable drama about Legion from the X-Men, written by the showrunner of Fargo. How did this even happen. And it stars Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza? What the hell.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Anyone else watching The Girlfriend Experience on STARZ? Amy Seimetz (Upstream Color) directed half the episodes. I'm just five episodes in. I liked Soderbergh's film, but I think this is better. Operates similarly as a mood-piece, but I think the long-form narrative is a better format for this. Also, the lead actress here is much stronger than Grey, and I think the parallels to capitalism are more focused. Definitely a slow-burn though.
    I'm finally diving into this. Decided to also comment after 5 episodes in, ha. I agree with all of these. It's weird how it's simultaneously warmer and colder than the film: Not being so tied to real world finance and introducing elements of corporate espionage makes the environment more dramatic and accessible, but at the same time the characters and relationships are portrayed to be even more distant and duplicitous to an almost eerie level of iciness.

Seimetz's Sun Don't Shine is one of my favorite directorial debuts in a long time, and this is a rather interesting move for her to do. She shoots the sexuality and business transactions like she did mystery in that film. It's almost even more of a mood piece than Soderbergh's version, although that may change in the second half of the season if the P-L-O-T ramps up.
    Movie Theater Diary

I wasn't sure about Lady Dynamite at first-- I admired it but found it a little too scattered and inaccessible but now a few episodes in I'm grooving on it.

EDIT: I just spent four episodes thinking that Ana Gasteyer was Kathryn Hahn and now I question everything.
    Last edited by Mara; 06-07-2016 at 01:31 AM.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I thought I wasn't gonna be surprised by any comic book adaptations anymore, but I was wrong. I can honestly say I never expected the announcement of an adult-oriented cable drama about Legion from the X-Men, written by the showrunner of Fargo. How did this even happen. And it stars Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza? What the hell.
    Aubrey Plaza? haha.

Really afraid that someone as talented as her will forever just get supporting and mini-roles.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Feels like they've amped up the cynicism based on the first episode of the second season of Unreal. I liked how Chet when on a vision quest in between seasons and came back even more misogynistic.

Don't know where they're going with the 'terrorist'. It seems bad.

Jesus, I haven't started, but I can't imagine getting more cynical than that first season. I couldn't even binge watch more than two episodes at a time because it's so pessimistic about humanity.
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm finally diving into this. Decided to also comment after 5 episodes in, ha. I agree with all of these. It's weird how it's simultaneously warmer and colder than the film: Not being so tied to real world finance and introducing elements of corporate espionage makes the environment more dramatic and accessible, but at the same time the characters and relationships are portrayed to be even more distant and duplicitous to an almost eerie level of iciness.

Seimetz's Sun Don't Shine is one of my favorite directorial debuts in a long time, and this is a rather interesting move for her to do. She shoots the sexuality and business transactions like she did mystery in that film. It's almost even more of a mood piece than Soderbergh's version, although that may change in the second half of the season if the P-L-O-T ramps up.
    I'll be interested to know your thoughts on the rest. The plot elements definitely ramp up at spots, but the show floats back down to its moody, dream-like foundation pretty quickly every time it does. I thought it was completely absorbing to the very end, though perhaps not entirely satisfying in the conventional sense. Hopefully, it's not a one-and-done type deal. I'm up for more.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Feels like they've amped up the cynicism based on the first episode of the second season of Unreal. I liked how Chet when on a vision quest in between seasons and came back even more misogynistic.
    It's pretty dark, but I'm not sure if it's darker than last year.

I liked the premiere, but I'm a little concerned about the dynamic between Quinn and Rachel. Some scenes were great, like when Rachel lets her vulnerability through with her "We're not like that; you have my back" moment. She's still not sure if their moment of emotional honesty at the end of the last season changed things or was just a fluke of timing.

What I don't want to see is Quinn turn into Chet and Rachel turn into Quinn. If Rachel has abandoned her conscience and morals in favor of power, full stop, then that drains all the tension straight out of the relationship. The corruption of Madison is an interesting turn, though.

As for the men, whoo boy. Jeremy was always boring; now he's hateful. Chet was always awful, but now that he has a sense of purpose and is sober he's outright dangerous. (The actor looks great, btw.) And I like that Jay is the person showing some morals, as that makes sense with his arc last season where he tried to be bad but was terrible at it.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Producer
    I don't think it's more cynical that last season. Maybe it's just that last season has to introduce the world so it ramps up the bile later on. This season starts out full-on toxic carrying over from last one's finale.

Other characters have done more damage, but Jeremy's false sense of smug righteousness is sooooo bad.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I don't feel like the first season was quite as cynical as you imply. There were definitely some optimistic notes: the coming out plot line comes to mind. And I feel you mostly were supposed to empathise with Rachel.

Even in the final there was that "I love you" moment and Anna being able to leave the show with dignity .
    Last edited by Winston*; 06-08-2016 at 09:54 PM.

Black-ish is probably the funniest, best live-action sitcom since Community. I've just joined it in the second season (the first season is frustratingly not available on Hulu), but I'm rather in love with it. Subplots with the kids sometimes play a little thin. But the performances of the leads and adult secondary characters are consistently fantastic. The jokes are rapid fire and yet so many of them land. It deftly loads critiques of social problems and oppression in ways that feel appropriately confrontational without ever crossing the line into sanctimonious preaching. And perhaps its greatest accomplishment is the redemption of the family sitcom by allowing its characters to fully inhabit their anxieties and insecurities about their roles in the family and culture at large.

(Still not through the entirely of the second season, but I'm at the point where Wanda Sykes seems to have joined as a recurring character, and she's a perfect fit for the show)