Page 474 of 524 FirstFirst ... 374424464472473474475476484 ... LastLast
Results 11,826 to 11,850 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    So Sharlto Copley's Christian Walker in that Powers adaptation for Playstation.

Michelle Forbes as Retro Girl.

http://deadline.com/2014/08/sharlto-...o-girl-820846/

Jason Patric wept.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I started watching that reality show The Quest and ended up watching all three episodes so far. It is insane.

The best Paladin on the show is the MMA fighter, who is clearly a huge nerd that became a fighter because he's been expecting this his whole life and trained appropriately for the day to come. Dude is just bugging out at everything. When the giant ogre jumped out and killed their guide, everyone else got scared and he's just "WE SHOULDA HELPED THAT DUDE." He's the best.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I loved the "Make the Sweater Better" segment on the Comedy Bang! Bang! TV show. Based on what I've seen, it seems pretty emblematic of the show's strengths. Scott Aukerman's humour can be very well observed. He's sensitive to a wide variety of risible pop cultural tendencies, and he's able to convey these ideas with the right blend of humour and accuracy. I may not have necessarily given much thought to all of the ideas that he makes fun of, but as soon as he sends them up, they're usually immediately recognizable as bonafide clichés. It's especially great when the sketches begin escalating via really preposterous and dramatic developments (i.e., the "Chews to Lose" segment).

He's quite good at playing the bland, vapid and overly blithe reality television show host.

I'm late to the party, but holy crap Cosmos is fan-blasted-tastic.

I really want to make a Masters of Sex season 2 thread because it's really great this season but I'm afraid it's going to be the Smash thread again.

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    So I finished the first season of Treme. I've come to accept this show works best for me when I watch like one episode every two weeks, and mostly leave it on in the background.

The music is keeping me watching, although I do like the performances.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I really want to make a Masters of Sex season 2 thread because it's really great this season but I'm afraid it's going to be the Smash thread again.
    You mean, a work of art?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    You mean, a work of art?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Apparently ABC has uploaded the premiere of Selfie to Hulu. I'm contractually obligated to watch it because of Karen Gillan, and John Cho should be good, but nothing about the premise belies why this should be more than one season. Still. That cast.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Apparently ABC has uploaded the premiere of Selfie to Hulu. I'm contractually obligated to watch it because of Karen Gillan, and John Cho should be good, but nothing about the premise belies why this should be more than one season. Still. That cast.
    I watched it yesterday. It took me halfway through the episode before I realized it was My Fair Lady that makes me the worlds biggest idiot. I mean the characters names are Eliza Dooley and Henry Higenbottam for christ's sake. But yeah it had some cheesiness and some rough dialogue but I enjoyed it. Gillan and Cho are infinitely likable and make the show at least in this first episode.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    That cast.
    Yeah, good casts trick me into watching bad television regularly.

I'll check it out.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Are you streaming this? If so, I'd love to check it out but can't find access. Also, anyone find it odd that they're advertising for The Knick on HBO?
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    Are you streaming this? If so, I'd love to check it out but can't find access. Also, anyone find it odd that they're advertising for The Knick on HBO?
    Yes. I was wondering how much Showtime had to pay for that.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    The Knick is on Cinemax, which is owned by HBO. Not really very odd at all.

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    Are you streaming this?
    Yeah, on the http://www.showtimeanytime.com/ app on a Roku.
    Movie Theater Diary

Fall TV is a thing that is happening soon. Anyone have any shows just beginning that actually look exciting?

Only three shows I watch are coming back with dates set:

Doctor Who, August 23
    Brooklyn 99, Sept 28
    SHIELD, Sept 23

Surprised there is no date for Parks & Recreation yet.

Shows I watch that should be back next year:

[
    ]
    ...and the milk's in me.

- - - - -
    NCIS: New Orleans premieres September 23, 2014.

Come watch Scott Bakula wrassle a Nu Ohlans accent!

I will watch Galavant when it debuts.

I might hate it. Or I might love it. Either way, I will be watching.
    ...and the milk's in me.

- - - - -
    NCIS premieres September 23, 2014. 8pm.

Season 12! DiNozzo finds new love!

So, for the record, Outlander is pretty good so far. The cast and production values are excellent. They could not be making Scotland look any more gorgeous.

And as for the story, I have been pleasantly surprised so far. They are paying the appropriate amount of attention to the love story-- not burying it by any means, but seeing it as a portion of Claire's complicated problems and spending plenty of time on other things. Claire is a very winning protagonist, and they are slowly building up a supporting group of characters that are fun to watch. I'm also glad we're getting plenty of flashbacks to WWII-era Claire's life, as it helps establish her backstory so we understand why she needs so badly to return home, despite all the gorgeous men with kilts in the 18th century.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Watched the Selfie pilot. It's really bizarre. Half of it is weirdly inspired and half of it is some of the shittiest dialogue I've heard on TV lately. Mostly, though, I can't get over how bad Karen Gillan's American accent is. It's distractingly atrocious.
    Movie Theater Diary

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    As far as new shows goes going alphabetically of stuff I'll probably give a couple episodes:

A to Z: A comedy starring the girl who played the mother on How I Met Your Mother. I usually give leeway to comedies and I'll give this one a shot. (Oct. 2nd NBC)

Bad Judge: Hopefully not like Bad Teacher, but I've been enjoying Kate Walsh's comedic tone, so I'll give this an episode but I'm not looking forward to it as much. (Oct 2nd NBC)

Constantine: A comic book-ish type show. With Jeremy Davies on the cast I'm more likely to stick with it. (oct. 24 NBC)

(The) Flash: I've already watched the pilot and I'm going to love the hell out of this show. (Oct. 7th CW)

Gotham: Of course I'll check it out. I'm not the biggest fan of Batman himself but I like the universe and I think they can do fun things. (Sep. 22 FOX)

Gracepoint: So guess what? They're doing an American version of Broadchurch. Not just that David Tennant is playing the same role. That's right, David Tennant is coming to America to play the exact same role he played in Broadchurch. Who's going to be the female lead? Anna Gunn. Now you're thinking "OH NO, they'll turn this into a 24 episode terrible thing!" It's being labeled as a mini-series and only running 10 episodes. And who's writing it? The guy who wrote Broadchurch. (Oct. 2nd FOX)

Marry Me: The writer of Happy Endings is back with a comedy starring Casey Wilson and Ken Marino. The idea of the show is a little strange in that it's all about a couple who like to do marriage proposals on each other that are over the top. But I loved Happy Endings so we'll see. (Oct 14 NBC)

Mulaney: John Mulaney has a comedy show that also stars Martin Short and Elliot Gould. I love John's standup so let's see how he helms a show. (Oct 5th FOX)

Scorpion: So CBS is playing this game where they know that Big Bang Theory is their money maker, so why not do another Big Bang Theory and turn it into a super spy drama? It's about a bunch of geeks and a pretty woman who is a local waitress solving crimes. I'm so perplexed by this that I might actually watch the first episode. (Sep 22 CBS)

And then there's Selfie but that's already been talked about. Well those are the ones I'll check out.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I'm still slowly making my way through the first season. I haven't given up yet.