Page 469 of 524 FirstFirst ... 369419459467468469470471479519 ... LastLast
Results 11,701 to 11,725 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Really? It's just aspirational marketing, and a pretty awkward example of it (what with the way they cram the soda into each concept). Do commercials from Levi's, Apple, Gap, and Volkswagen bother you this much too?
    Actually, that post was just a lark and not meant to be taken quite so seriously. It certainly wasn't designed as an indication that I'm genuinely "bothered" by the commercial. I was poking fun at, as you put it, "a pretty awkward example" of standard marketing fare. I recently finished reading The Maltese Falcon, and Gutman's reverential descriptions of the eponymous rara avis (which, for me, were inseparable from Sydney Greenstreet's affable intonations from the film) were in my mind. I guess I saw the commercial as an opportunity to attempt something resembling the dramatic solemnity of those lovely descriptions, albeit with more sardonic and humorous inflections (as you can tell, everyone loved it).

In other words, it was 3AM, and I should have been sleeping, but instead I looked up a commercial that I remembered coming across at University one summer, which I had discussed with a dear friend (the ad is actually one of those unassuming things that unexpectedly obtains a certain nostalgic resonance related to a particular moment in your life). At the same time, I felt like writing something for fun. I thought it would be amusing to create a brief, grandiose account of the commercial (which, yes, isn't terribly remarkable or egregious as far as standard advertising tendencies are concerned). The formality of my writing may have suggested something genuinely indignant, but this was not my intention.

I like the mellifluous song they chose ("Sweet Disposition") and, as I mentioned, it has a certain personal, nostalgic value. However, none of that relates to the particular angle I went with once I started writing. Put simply, I was looking for an excuse to write before bed and located some unlikely inspiration in the commercial. This reply probably makes all of this come across less as a spontaneous, fatuous bit of writing and more like some substantial, lofty endeavour, but that's not my intention, either.

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries will be getting a third season, probably next year.
    ...and the milk's in me.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Mitty (view post)
    In other words, it was 3AM, and I should have been sleeping, but instead I looked up a commercial that I remembered coming across at University one summer, which I had discussed with a dear friend (the ad is actually one of those unassuming things that unexpectedly obtains a certain nostalgic resonance related to a particular moment in your life). At the same time, I felt like writing something for fun. I thought it would be amusing to create a brief, grandiose account of the commercial (which, yes, isn't terribly remarkable or egregious as far as standard advertising tendencies are concerned). The formality of my writing may have suggested something genuinely indignant, but this was not my intention.
    I like you.

Hugh_Grant, champion of the world! Hon, you are beyond awesome. And thanks for the champagne. Woo-hoo!!
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Wait, she won?

Can I have money? I feel like my posts here inspired you in some way.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Yay!
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yes, Wats, I won and defend my title tonight. No, you can't have any money.

I totally meant to watch (even looked up the schedule) but then it slipped my mind, so I have another chance! Setting the alarm on my phone.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Congrats! I'll be watching tonight.

Let's change the banner to say Match-Cut: Home of Current Jeopardy Champion.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Let's do it. On a marquee sign if possible! (I have no visual art skills.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    So Boardwalk Empire is going to jump 7 years into the future for its last season.
    http://hbowatch.com/boardwalk-empire...jumps-in-time/
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Quote Quoting Hugh_Grant (view post)
    Yes, Wats, I won and defend my title tonight. No, you can't have any money.
    I recorded it and watched it after the USA-Ghana game. You had me worried for a while. But that was a hell of a come-from-behind victory. Bravo! I don't know how you keep your head on straight under such nerve-wracking conditions.

Quote Quoting EvilShoe (view post)
    So Boardwalk Empire is going to jump 7 years into the future for its last season.
    http://hbowatch.com/boardwalk-empire...jumps-in-time/
    I thought you meant it was going to be set in 2021. Now that would have been bold.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Oh, heck no, yo.

Congrats, HG!!

Quote Quoting Hugh_Grant (view post)
    Oh, heck no, yo.
    Now we have to.

Why didn't Sarah and I go to Paris and retrace the steps in Before Sunset? :frustrated: ritch:
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I can't get my local Fox affiliate to work with my antenna. I don't think this is going to fly.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    any word on how you did tonight? This is exciting.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I can't get my local Fox affiliate to work with my antenna. I don't think this is going to fly.
    It's all good. I got second place. The buzzer was not my friend on Tuesday's show.

But it was such a fun experience.

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Why didn't Sarah and I go to Paris and retrace the steps in Before Sunset? :frustrated: ritch:
    That was supposed to be my first night anecdote! (Not that I don't love talking about my banknotes!) So I was glad to be on a second night and give the shout out to dissent, who was in the audience three weeks after hip surgery.

Decided to check out Rectify on Netflix. From the first episode it feels very elegiac and assured.
    ...and the milk's in me.

The girl who plays Tawney* (Adelaide Clemens) looks just like Carey Mulligan.

*Tawney? Really? And Amantha? Do women in Georgia really have names this stupid?
    ...and the milk's in me.

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    It's a quality show, Mara. Aden Young has the saddest face on TV right now.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald