Page 468 of 524 FirstFirst ... 368418458466467468469470478518 ... LastLast
Results 11,676 to 11,700 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Season 3 of Veronica Mars is good. Its just that it pales in comparison with the damn near perfect (or perfect) Seasons 1 and 2.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

- - - - -
    Backstory on AMC's business post Breaking Bad and Mad Men, with tidbits about their upcoming Halt and Catch Fire:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/amc-b...ire-1401398850

Watching an old La Femme Nikita episode with Gina Torres from at least fifteen years ago and she looks exactly the same. I think she might be magic.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Watching an old La Femme Nikita episode with Gina Torres from at least fifteen years ago and she looks exactly the same. I think she might be magic.
    She is.

I would create a Longmire thread if I knew anyone else was watching. Season 2 was excellent.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I would create a Longmire thread if I knew anyone else was watching. Season 2 was excellent.
    I've seen all of it, I think. Watched the current season opener this week and I'm a bit fuzzy on what happened last year [
    ]. Still dig the setting and the lead actor. Lou Diamond Philips is good too and I'd wish they would figure out a way to squeeze him into more stories. The chick from Battlestar is overexposed though. I could actually a touch less of her.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Just got into shield season 4. Still going strong.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    Just got into shield season 4. Still going strong.
    For me, that was when the show went from really good to great.

Netflix is producing a new season of The Magic School Bus. Holy shit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/bu...ref=media&_r=0

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Between that, LeVar Burton's Reading Rainbow Kickstarter, new Spongebob and Power Rangers movies coming, the old X-Men cast back in Future Past, and even the Dumb And Dumber To trailer, this is feeling like the month of my childhood resurrecting before me.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I watched the first three episodes of Undateable because I love Ron Funches. I haven't watched a show with a laugh track in probably ten years so that was weird but otherwise it's decent but not great. You can tell it's trying to find itself but Funches and Lemonhead are funny in it.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    I watched the first three episodes of Undateable because I love Ron Funches. I haven't watched a show with a laugh track in probably ten years so that was weird but otherwise it's decent but not great. You can tell it's trying to find itself but Funches and Lemonhead are funny in it.
    Yeah I was interested in it for Funches too (and since Bill Lawrence is executive producer on it), but the episode I saw (maybe the 3rd one?) too reliant on easy, laugh-track fishing punch-lines, super predictable plotting (and that part of my brain is usually asleep when I watch stuff) and D'Elia's only semi-tolerable smarminess. The scenes are often just him and Morin (haha Lemonhead) spouting dialogue that just sound like a writer's room coming up with lists of different bullet point ideas to riff on instead of propelling anything actually funny beyond them in rooms on their way to other things.

And at one point it felt like every other joke was a social media or technology-related reference (cue laughter), and I couldn't help but cringe for whatever future generation might stumble upon this and think we thought these were what jokes were.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

love funches but i can't stand d'elia. he's just the worst

If this is any indication of what American Horror Story S4 will be like, I'm on-board 100%.

http://io9.com/oh-my-god-this-is-sar...ica-1590061055

So I don't know if anyone watches Jeopardy!, but my appearance is Monday.
    []

Quote Quoting Hugh_Grant (view post)
    So I don't know if anyone watches Jeopardy!, but my appearance is Monday.
    []
    Can't wait for the viewing party Monday at Sulleys. Looks like you guys are going to have a full house for happy hour. Finally...all will be revealed! No more of this non-disclosure agreement nonsense.

I may have to take Tuesday off. See ya Monday!
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Appearance? Singular? Are you letting something slip!?

I'll be watching the USA soccer match, but I'll DVR it. Big fan of the show.

Could be appearance or appearances. We have struggled with what to call the gathering to which Russ is referring. If we call it a party, then some folks might think I win. So we started calling it a "viewing," which one of my husband's FB friends said sounded like a funeral. :/ And Russ, I have to be at work at 8:00am on Tuesday, and so does my husband.

Yes, I'm bummed about the USA/Ghana conflict, but I am relieved that it's on ESPN and not ABC because ABC carries Jeopardy! in our market.

Yes, I'm bummed about the USA/Ghana conflict
    My dad is in Ghana right now and I freaked out when I saw this and started checking news sites. Turns out it is a sports thing.

/relief
    ...and the milk's in me.

Oh, crap, poor wording! I meant the television "conflict" between the USA/Ghana on ESPN and Jeopardy! on our local ABC affiliate.

Oh, crap, poor wording! I meant the television "conflict" between the USA/Ghana on ESPN and Jeopardy! on our local ABC affiliate.
    Yeah, I figured it out. You can see where my paranoid mind goes.

Is anyone familiar with this ridiculous commercial?

The quotidian bottle of Diet Coke is recast as a miraculous Holy Grail of sorts, whose magical elixir is undoubtedly of some ancient or otherworldly provenance. Whomever partakes of this hallowed beverage is granted access to untold power, and may thereby realize their wildest dreams and ambitions. Here, the ubiquitous cola transcends its supposed banality, disclosing itself as the surreptitious life force behind sundry examples of human ingenuity and success: the irresistible charm and swagger of a roaming bachelor, the burgeoning genius of a street artist, the visual acuity of an accomplished filmmaker, the entrancing celebrity of a fashionista, etc.

I guess the appearance of the doctor kind of complicates my meagre attempt at "humorously" skewering this commercial. Yet, even here, there is the oblique suggestion of a mysterious relation between our most admirable and altruisitic capacities and the nourishment of a Diet Coke.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Mitty (view post)
    The quotidian bottle of Diet Coke is recast as a miraculous Holy Grail of sorts, whose magical elixir is undoubtedly of some ancient or otherworldly provenance
    Really? It's just aspirational marketing, and a pretty awkward example of it (what with the way they cram the soda into each concept). Do commercials from Levi's, Apple, Gap, and Volkswagen bother you this much too?

The original opening sequence for Penny Dreadful is a fascinating piece of work, though I can understand the reasoning behind the change: