Page 407 of 524 FirstFirst ... 307357397405406407408409417457507 ... LastLast
Results 10,151 to 10,175 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Very disturbed by the presence of the Old Spice Guy on Nikita last week. He's not the greatest actor in the world. And they shamelessly found a way for him to show his chest for, literally, about 80% of the time he was on screen.

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

Peep Show is back.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Peep Show is back.
    Hilarious season so far, especially the paintball episode. The only thing it needs is more Johnson.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Following number8's lead with how to get into Fringe. The World Trade Center reveal at the end of the first season was extremely stupid.

Chris Pratt and Anna Faris on Top Chef last night. Adorable couple. And based on what I saw on the show, I can say that if I have a personality "ideal type", Chris Pratt would be it. And I may be in love with him now.

Also, so much meat has me positively salivating. I haven't had red meat in what feels like a decade.

i've been compared to chris pratt in the past... just saying.

Started Season 1 of Homeland but didn't want to post in the thread. It's been nigh impossible avoiding spoilers for Season 2 but I'm doing good so far.

It's surprising to me that critics have taken so well to this show. It feels like 24's younger cousin but with better acting pedigree. I can't help but feel like the storyline is old hat and fairly uninteresting. And Damian Lewis, who has all my love, really comes off as too forced and twitchy at times.

I'm enjoying it, but still a bit on the disappointed side.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Started Season 1 of Homeland but didn't want to post in the thread. It's been nigh impossible avoiding spoilers for Season 2 but I'm doing good so far.

It's surprising to me that critics have taken so well to this show. It feels like 24's younger cousin but with better acting pedigree. I can't help but feel like the storyline is old hat and fairly uninteresting. And Damian Lewis, who has all my love, really comes off as too forced and twitchy at times.

I'm enjoying it, but still a bit on the disappointed side.
    if you thought season 1 was like 24...

still kind of amazed at how totally the show has fallen apart in the last few episodes.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    if you thought season 1 was like 24...

still kind of amazed at how totally the show has fallen apart in the last few episodes.
    Oh really? Well...shit. I got the sense that Season 2 was even better than the first. But that was from headlines at the beginning of the season. I've avoided anything and everything since then when possible.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Oh really? Well...shit. I got the sense that Season 2 was even better than the first. But that was from headlines at the beginning of the season. I've avoided anything and everything since then when possible.
    I would say that the show has always been strongest on character development and acting, and weakest on plotting. Season two started with some of the best character development and acting to date, but then the plot weaknesses started collapsing the structure of the entire show.

It's a problem.
    ...and the milk's in me.

yeah, it hits a really high high around "Q&A" and hits an absolute, historic nadir with "broken hearts."

I'd like to get your opinion on this. When we move to the new vBulletin, I'd like to have new threads for seasons as they approach, in hopes to not spoil people playing catchup, and possibly add more discussion. When a season ends, we'll combine it with the show's original thread.

For example:
    Walking Dead (as it is right now)
    Walking Dead (Season 3 - 2nd Half) - discuss as the season goes on.

A few weeks after that half is over, it merges with the Walking Dead thread. Eventually a Season 4 thread will be created.

Good idea? Bad idea?

There's also several shows that are in need of their own thread that seem to get discussion solely on the Television Thread. Maybe because there's not enough viewers? I'd kind of like to change the Television thread into a FDT type. Feel free to make that title up as needed.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Good idea. I stopped going into television threads after being spoiled on a season that hadn't even aired in the US yet.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

It's not a bad idea. That's actually the reason why I talk about certain shows on the TV thread instead of their actual threads, because I'm not caught up yet.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Yep, great idea.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Brude (view post)
    Good idea, but why merge threads? That'll only create confusion & won't solve the spoiler issue.
    For the sake of bipartisan compromise and avoiding the thread count cliff.

You know, if I imagine that Landry from FNL and Todd from Breaking Bad are the same person, it's become a pretty heartbreaking story.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I started watching the Catfish tv show and this is absolutely awful. It's so awful that it's impossible to not color my perception of the original film. The teenagers featured on it are sad sad people, but the filmmakers are absolute exploitative scum. I guess in hindsight that really should have been obvious from the film, but at least there they have the excuse of Nev being personally involved in the story. Here he's just goading kids and trying to act like he's a cross between Chris Hansen and Dr. Phil. What a fucking asshole.
    Movie Theater Diary

Well tonight I've started The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. It made me realize that the modern version took out one of my favorite parts of A Scandal In Bohemia. Call me crazy, but the Wishbone retelling of the tale got it perfect :P

Anyways Jeremy Brett is spot on as Sherlock, and I like David Burke as Watson even though he has the look of the stereotypical Watson. Too bad there were only four series of the show, but that was due to Brett dying, sadly.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I've been slowly wandering through Stephen Fry in America on Netflix while doing various holiday projects, and it's really pretty charming. Fry is genial and polite, if sometimes a little condescending, and they did a great job with finding interesting, off-beat things for him to do in various states.

Except, of course, Maryland. Which was literally like, "You have to drive through Maryland to get to Washington, D.C." That's all we got. What? He couldn't stop and have a crab cake? He spent, like, fifteen minutes getting drunk in Kentucky.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I've been slowly wandering through Stephen Fry in America on Netflix while doing various holiday projects, and it's really pretty charming. Fry is genial and polite, if sometimes a little condescending, and they did a great job with finding interesting, off-beat things for him to do in various states.

Except, of course, Maryland. Which was literally like, "You have to drive through Maryland to get to Washington, D.C." That's all we got. What? He couldn't stop and have a crab cake? He spent, like, fifteen minutes getting drunk in Kentucky.
    I watched this! I checked out about the time that he got teary-eyed listening to the anthem at the high school football game in the south. It felt... staged. I love Stephen Fry, and I don't want to think he would do something like that. In fact, I chalk it up to my own cynicism (which might be why I found the scene at the criminal investigation site with the decomposing corpses to be the most fascinating of what I saw of the series). Still, I just found I wasn't much enjoying the show.

I was a little weirded out by how moved he was by the football game. I think the pageantry of it sort of got to him.

Did you see him in Florida? He hated Florida. All his politeness couldn't hide it.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I didn't really care for that show. I thought it felt too much of a rush from place to place, and Fry is no Michael Palin when it comes to this sort of thing.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I was a little weirded out by how moved he was by the football game. I think the pageantry of it sort of got to him.

Did you see him in Florida? He hated Florida. All his politeness couldn't hide it.
    Yes. That was pretty good. Miami especially I remember him finding atrocious.