Page 367 of 524 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367368369377417467 ... LastLast
Results 9,151 to 9,175 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Really sad to hear about that. Seemed like it had a real shot at being amazing. And there are plenty of opportunities for sex and nudity in the story.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Eh, it's a really high production cost with a limited draw. I don't think it's surprising at all that they passed. That's probably a large part of Luck's cancellation besides the horse issue, too. If HBO is going to make something that's not poised to blow up like Game of Thrones or Boardwalk Empire, they expect it to be done cheaply with unknowns and character actors, like Treme, which they're willing to commit to multiple seasons despite the fact that no one's watching.

Can you imagine sustaining the movie star salaries of that cast for several years? It's a little absurd.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Eh, it's a really high production cost with a limited draw. I don't think it's surprising at all that they passed. That's probably a large part of Luck's cancellation besides the horse issue, too. If HBO is going to make something that's not poised to blow up like Game of Thrones or Boardwalk Empire, they expect it to be done cheaply with unknowns and character actors, like Treme, which they're willing to commit to multiple seasons despite the fact that no one's watching.

Can you imagine sustaining the movie star salaries of that cast for several years? It's a little absurd.
    Yeah, it makes sense. That's why it surprised me that it was planned to be a series rather than a Mildred Pierce-style mini-series. The book isn't that dense.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    But wouldn't HBO know what the relative budget is before even committing to the pilot? Before all the known movie actors were signed on and they had produced a pilot episode? This wasn't some shock to them after viewing, right? I assumed that they were banking on it eventually becoming a Six Feet Under. The cast is not that large for The Corrections so I imagine that huge casts like Game of Thrones which has a ton of veterans, don't really wind up being any cheaper.

Perhaps I have always had the TV series evolution wrong. Maybe HBO and other networks aren't really involved in the pilot generation and casting/production until after they pick up a full series.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Sweet interview with Whedon, covering his inexperienced showrunning on Buffy and what went wrong with Dollhouse:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/...s-whedon/all/1
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Sweet interview with Whedon, covering his inexperienced showrunning on Buffy and what went wrong with Dollhouse:

“Honey, I accidentally created a Fox show.”

:lol:
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

RE: DTtBiA23

James Van Der Beek is my hero. I love him. It's an important thing in my life now.

P.S. Eli needs to die.

Finished the first season of Happy Endings. I want more. Best current comedic ensemble this side of Community. Damon Wayans Jr. and Eliza Coupe make a great pair...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Finished the first season of Happy Endings. I want more. Best current comedic ensemble this side of Community. Damon Wayans Jr. and Eliza Coupe make a great pair...
    I was thinking about catching up on this before the Cutties. I should... get on that.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Season 2 is even better. I'm excited for you. I love this show.

- - - - -

Wow, that was a lot of fun. I loved how he jumped from Star Trek to Twilight Zone to Galaxy Quest. :P

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    RE: DTtBiA23

James Van Der Beek is my hero. I love him. It's an important thing in my life now.
    P.S. Eli needs to die.
    "My mother invented Lunchables. Didn't get any credit for it, though. Trusted the wrong people."

This was the best episode yet. And I thought they did a decent job of giving Eli some decent stuff to do and some funny lines in this one.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Started the pilot of American Horror Story. Apart from some strange pacing and an always awful McDermott, this looks like something that's going to be constantly entertaining a la True Blood... At least until it gets too ridiculous for its own good. Gonna keep on watching.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Potty Training a 25-Year-Old (With Joss Whedon)

Rare Whedon acting footage! He plays a bird.

The only other acting job I can think of is when he played Numfar in Angel.

[youtube]6XXjj0lNi48[/youtube]

Veronica Mars.
    Movie Theater Diary

Veronica Mars.
    Oh, that's right!

I was in a gamestop today and they were playing The Big Bang Theory. Holy shit is that show worse then I could have ever imagined.
    TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    I was in a gamestop today and they were playing The Big Bang Theory. Holy shit is that show worse then I could have ever imagined.
    dude, they were playing it when i was in there like 3 weeks ago. i wonder if it's corporate policy. those poor employees.

TBBT is just so, so unimaginably bad right now.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    dude, they were playing it when i was in there like 3 weeks ago. i wonder if it's corporate policy. those poor employees.
    They had it blasting super loud through the speakers too so there was no escape from it.
    TV Recently Finished:

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    TBBT is just so, so unimaginably bad right now.
    It's really been hit or miss this past year. Thought last week was decent. At least they had 3 plots going that thematically tied into one another.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    It's probably licensed & sent from HQ. I bet the tape runs on a loop with a half dozen other shows. It's a fair bet the employees have suffered through the same episodes 3 times a day (or more) for weeks.

Geez, NBC has picked up 3 new comedies for a series order, and it looks like all 4 Thursday night line-up will get renewed. It's like they're just giving up on dramas already.
    Movie Theater Diary

Here's a link for news: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118053617

I'm glad everyone's thinking Community is likely coming back for sure. That article indicates almost everything returning will have an order of less than 22 episodes. A little crazy!

Didn't NBC order a Sarah Silverman pilot? I really hope someone picks up her show.

Meanwhile, I'm currently watching so many airing shows:

Community
    Girls
    Veep
    Kids on the Slope
    Lupin III: A Woman Called Mine Fujiko

I can't remember the last time I watched this much currently airing stuff. They're all really good, too! And Louie starts next month and South Park just went on mid-season hiatus. Good time for TV!

Holy shit, I didn't hear about 1600 Penn and Animal Practice. So FIVE new comedies?
    Movie Theater Diary