Page 351 of 524 FirstFirst ... 251301341349350351352353361401451 ... LastLast
Results 8,751 to 8,775 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

If you saw anything from Season 2 or Season 3 of Archer and didn't find it funny, there might be something wrong with you.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Also decided to watch an episode of Archer because when it debuted I was so sure that it was going to get cancelled since all the previews made it look like the worst thing ever. Turns out it's one of the most unfunniest things I've ever seen. What a waste of H Jon Benjamin. I should have trusted my instinct more.
    :|
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    it's like, I see number8 wrote something in English but I just don't understand it.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    it's like, I see number8 wrote something in English but I just don't understand it.
    What is this, I don't even...

Turns out it's one of the most unfunniest things I've ever seen.
    I saw a couple episodes awhile back when everyone was praising it, and I thought it was unbearable and unwatchable.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yeah, Sarah and I watched the first episode of Archer and just found it unceasingly repetitive and unfunny. There's enough misogyny on television that to spoof it seems counterproductive here, simply because it luxuriates in what it's mocking far too much.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

:crazy: :| all around...
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

S2 of Damages is going great so far. Like it even more than the first. I rescind what I said earlier about Rose Byrne - now that her character is more interesting, she's actually pretty good. Just finished episode 6, so I'm about halfway through. Who knew Marcia Gay Harden could play a sexpot so well? I got a kick out of her taking the waiter home.

Does anyone remember The Eleventh Hour, the "weird science" CBS procedural with Rufus Sewell that came out at the same time as Fringe and I said in this thread at the time that it was the better one of the two? I was pretty taken by it and was miffed when it got cancelled in the first season.

Netflix has the 4-episode British original with Patrick Stewart and Ashley Jensen. It's even better, naturally. Highly recommended.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Actually I remember that show, number8. I didn't know that there was a British version of it, and I just added it to my Netflix queue. Also hey they have MI:5 on Instant Viewing, too, in addition to tons of British TV that actually looks appealing. Too bad for the moment I'm wrapped up in The X-Files and Buffy.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Geez, Supernatural is really violent. Did they really air all this crazy gore on CW, or are the episodes on Netflix uncut or something?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

From what I remember watching it when it aired (Season 1, I believe) there was indeed tons of violence. The first episode after all [
    ]

Maybe since CW is such a lesser network they don't get screened enough by the FCC? It is true that violence is more often easier allowed on TV while sex and nudity get censored like crazy.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

That's nothing, really. I'm in Season 3, and so far there are graphic beheadings, fingernails being pulled by pliers, a woman bloodily vomiting out all her teeth, a dude being impaled by a fork through the mouth, and lots and lots of stabbings.
    Movie Theater Diary

Not complaining, mind you. It's just that when I'm watching network TV, I expect most of the blood to be on an operating table or a crime scene corpse. Didn't realize you could show a woman screaming for her life as her wrists are being ripped open and spraying blood.

In Season 4 now. This show gets more and more intense. It's really unusual that a show this brutal and has the same type of macho-posturing as Sons of Anarchy has mostly female fans.
    Movie Theater Diary

That's nothing, really. I'm in Season 3, and so far there are graphic beheadings, fingernails being pulled by pliers, a woman bloodily vomiting out all her teeth, a dude being impaled by a fork through the mouth, and lots and lots of stabbings.
    I think it is heavily influenced by The X-Files when it comes to violence. (And heavily influenced by BtVS when it comes to mythology.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

"We didn't pick the pilot of Powers up; we went back and Chick Eglee, who had written it, did a fairly substantial rewrite that would require pretty extensive reshoots of the pilot," Landgraf said. "Right now we're in the process of deciding whether to pull the trigger on the reshoot."
    "When you think about a 10 o'clock drama -- a Sopranos-esque drama or any serious drama -- there's never been a feature film or TV series that's taken the super hero genre into that type of tonality, it's never been done and it's just really a struggle," he added, citing HBO's success with turning fantasy drama Game of Thrones into the 10 p.m. hour. "It can be done, it's just proving really difficult."
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-bendis-282008
    Movie Theater Diary

I've been trying to watch To the Ends of the Earth on Netflix, and it's kind of a mess. I thought it would be like Horatio Hornblower, and it sort of is... but more mean-spirited and less interesting. The cast is good, though.

Benedict Cumberbatch spends a surprising amount of time naked.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Speaking of that - Sherlock spoilers!

Also this.

Interest piqued.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

I actually liked the second sesaon of Damages more than the first. The central case was stronger, Ellen complexed into an interesting character, and the new supporters were stellar. I figured the show would struggle to fill the void left behind by Fisk, but Claire Maddox was more than a worthy opposing lawyer. How did Marcia Gay Harden get ignored for a guest actress nomination? She was a highlight for me, great character. William Hurt was also in notable form here, and Daniel Purcell's plotline was leagues better than the first year drama with the pretty young people key witnesses.

The flashforwards didn't work quite as well this year. They often felt more like an obligation rather than a useful storytelling technique like in the first season. The red herrings were still fun.

Glenn Close crafted one hell of a character here. Similar to her Marquise de Merteuil in Dangerous Liaisons, she gracefully dances the tightwire act between vile and sympathetic. It's truly a delight to watch Patty Hewes in action.

On to S3...

Revenge: totally worth investing in it. Let's get this started.
    ...and the milk's in me.

DAMN TWIST! REVEEEEEEENGE.
    Movie Theater Diary

DAMN TWIST! REVEEEEEEENGE.
    I totally saw it coming, and yet it was still fun and satisfying. That's good television.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I quite liked the latest Once Upon a Time. Didn't expect that twist with the Beast at all. Jane Espenson, yo.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Pretty intriguing idea for a show.

[youtube]CfPVoiQKFvk[/youtube]
    Saw the pilot. This turned out to be a huge disappointment. It's a great idea for a TV show... if it wasn't a fucking police procedural 70% of the time.

Seriously, there are so many great things you can do with this premise, and they choose to have him be a homicide detective who solves crime by cross-referencing clues from one reality to another? FUCKING. BORING. FUCK YOU for wasting my time.
    Movie Theater Diary