Page 23 of 524 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123523 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

CABLE DUDE IS HERE NOW

HAVE CABLE NOW

... so those with cable as well as HD televisions, is there any way to enhance the resolution on the picture of most of these channels? It's not a detriment... I'm not really a stickler for clarity, but I was wondering if it was even possible.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    HAVE CABLE NOW

... so those with cable as well as HD televisions, is there any way to enhance the resolution on the picture of most of these channels? It's not a detriment... I'm not really a stickler for clarity, but I was wondering if it was even possible.
    Not much you can do. It all depends on the signal the individual station sends out. Some stations look pretty bad, and it kinda sucks, but alas, HD is worth it.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Not much you can do. It all depends on the signal the individual station sends out. Some stations look pretty bad, and it kinda sucks, but alas, HD is worth it.
    That's what I figured. No biggie. I imagine next year, because of the big HD conversion or whatever's going on, things'll be changing for the better.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    That's what I figured. No biggie. I imagine next year, because of the big HD conversion or whatever's going on, things'll be changing for the better.
    Everything is going digital, but I don't think that'll help much if you already have a digital receiver (which you do, since you're getting HD). Those channels might clear up a bit, but most of them are already transmitting a digital signal.

Really the only thing you can do is keep begging your cable provider to get the HD versions of said channels. I've got at least all the networks, HBO, Starz, Sci-Fi, Discovery and History on HD. Whenever Comcast gets FX on HD, I'm set.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    So... I know I'm late on this, but The Wire is AMAZING. I didn't believe the hype before I saw it because I was too attached to Carnivale and bitter about its cancellation, but, yeah. Wow. And I'm only in the 2nd season.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    So... I know I'm late on this, but The Wire is AMAZING. I didn't believe the hype before I saw it because I was too attached to Carnivale and bitter about its cancellation, but, yeah. Wow. And I'm only in the 2nd season.
    Is Carnivale worth watching given it's cancellation?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Oh absolutely. Absolutely. I'll say it again: abso-friggin-lutely. The two seasons that got made constitute the first "book" of the series' planned three-book storyline (meaning there were four seasons of story left untold), so there is a real self-contained story arc that gets completed. The next season would have taken place years later. You may be kept up nights thinking about how awesome the rest of it would be, but it's worth it.

And also, the more people that see it and realize its awesomeness, the better chance there is of HBO picking it back up sometime in the future. They still own the rights to it and refused to sell when Knauf and Marvel Comics approached them to finish the story as a series of graphic novels, so it's always possible they'll pull it back out, especially since HBO doesn't really have anything going on anymore.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

The likelihood of another season of Carnivale is probably as good as the likelihood of the Deadwood extended episodes that were suppose to take place.

So basically, not going to happen.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Don't be too sure. Now that Albrecht's out, who knows what ideas the new management (including Carolyn Strauss who was one of the reasons the show got made in the first place) has.

Nice to hear Carnivale is pretty good, because I just recently received both seasons. Not that I expected it to be terrible or bad though, it's a HBO show after all. I'll start watching it as soon as I finish the first season of Ugly Betty, which I surprisingly am enjoying a lot more than I thought I would.

Some news on the Ice and Fire series tv adaptation..The second draft of the Song of Ice and Fire screenplay is being evaluated by HBO now. The other good news is that BBC will be working on the series as well. They worked together on Band of Brothers and Rome before.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/46002.html

Ice & Fire on HBO

The latest news on HBO front is that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have turned in the second draft of the pilot script for A GAME OF THRONES, and their rewrite is presently being read and evaluated by the powers-that-be at HBO. In other words, it's the normal process, which is long and often slow. So far, the reports are good, and HBO seems to like what they're seeing... but no, there's no greenlight yet, A GAME OF THRONES remains a script in development, not a series in production.

The one hard bit of news is that HBO has reached agreement with the BBC for them to come in as a partner on the series... IF it goes ahead. That's very cool news, and I'm excited and pleased to have the BBC involved... but even so, we're still in the crossed fingers stage here, not the shooting-off-fireworks stage.

I'm going through The Shield again. I've all five seasons, but only saw the first two which I loved. Don't ask me why it's taken this long. The only reason I can think is of that I wanted my brother to sort of see the show as well, but I went ahead without him. So now I restarted the whole thing. I've nearly seen season one now. Still insanely great however, especially Dragonchasers starring the Dutch!!!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Yeah I remember when AMC used to be good stuff. And how when they showed Monsterfest it contained many old awesome horror movies, and not so many sequels and crappy new horror flicks. Alas, the channel has indeed gone into the crapper a long time ago.

I was flipping through at a friend's house last night and while coming across Adult Swim I realized that I had been missing the new season of The Venture Brothers. I wonder if there's a chance for me to catch up online, so I'll have to check their website. If not, then that's a major bummer. Summer TV just flat out blows.

Also does anyone have an idea as to whether or not ABC will continue Season 1 of Pushing Daises or not this fall? Because as it stands the show has been renewed but Season 1 clearly wasn't finished due to the strike.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I started Code Geass... and it's awesome.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

No one's watching the new NBC horror anthology show Fear Itself, I guess. Not missing much, I only got to see the 2nd episode done by Session 9 and The Machinist director Brad Anderson, which should've meant it would be somehow distinguishable in some way, but nah, pretty generic.

According to his production studio's official website, though, Larry Fessenden is apparently directing an episode, which I'm pretty psyched about now.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

On Saturday I continued slowly building my TV on DVD collection by purchasing Season 2s for Harvey Birdman and SeaLab 2021. I imagine that Season 2 of Birdman is better than Season 1, but I wonder if Season 2 of SeaLab will be better than Season 1. Only time will tell.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I don't know that this is going to get to the level that we'll need a Kaiba discussion thread, and I don't know if anyone else besides Qrazy is watching it (if that's true, it needs to change, people), but apparently the next time an episode will air in Japan will be June 12th, thanks to tennis broadcasts. Which means we probably have about three or more weeks before the next episode gets subbed. I'm going to get desperate, I'm sure, as it's kind of consumed me. I'll be watching eps. 1 through 7 at least once more in the interim, and episode 3 a few more times than that. Episode 3 is one of the most emotionally devastating things I've seen in a while.

I hope some other people give this a shot. It's positively beautiful and is fast on its way to my favorite anime series.

I've been watching them on http://www.crunchyroll.com/ which streams unlicensed anime (and some live-action dramas, apparently) with subtitles. If you don't want to deal with downloading them and can put up with occasionally chunky video sources, it's where I'll probably be spending all my free TV-watching time from here till, y'know, eternity.

PS: It even has Mind Game up in its entirety, for those who've been waiting to see it, even if it's not in pristine quality.
    Episode 8 is out and subbed. I torrent'd it.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Carnivale is pretty good so far. I'm almost done with season one and pretty much liked all of the episodes. I think there were only one or two episodes that felt a bit weak. The cast is great, especially the guy playing Samson.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Episode 8 is out and subbed. I torrent'd it.
    Yeah, torrenting is definitely the way to go. Ureshii is doing a bang-up job with the subtitling and are providing excellent encodes. And watching them streaming does a disservice to the magnificent linework.

Episode 8 provided a pretty sharp tonal shift in the series, one that I felt the series had been building up to. It's kind of mind-boggling to think this series will be wrapped up in four episodes.

Have I mentioned how in love I am with the music in this program? It's beautiful.

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    On Saturday I continued slowly building my TV on DVD collection by purchasing Season 2s for Harvey Birdman and SeaLab 2021. I imagine that Season 2 of Birdman is better than Season 1, but I wonder if Season 2 of SeaLab will be better than Season 1. Only time will tell.
    Season 2 of SeaLab was actually equal to Season 1, although the season finale was far better and funnier than the season finale for Season 1. I thought that while it took longer to get started than the first season, the second season featured more higher quality episodes such as the one with the bizzaros, the Alvis celebration, the Vacation episode, and a handful of others.

As for Birdman, yeah Season 2 is far better right off the bat. I think that the season finale though was weaker compared to the one for Season 2, but still on the whole the show's creators really upped the show's quality. But no Lewis Black until Season 3 it seems? Huh. At least Birdgirl came in later in the season.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Yeah, torrenting is definitely the way to go. Ureshii is doing a bang-up job with the subtitling and are providing excellent encodes. And watching them streaming does a disservice to the magnificent linework.

Episode 8 provided a pretty sharp tonal shift in the series, one that I felt the series had been building up to. It's kind of mind-boggling to think this series will be wrapped up in four episodes.

Have I mentioned how in love I am with the music in this program? It's beautiful.
    Yeah I am quite enamored with the soundtrack as well, particularly that opening track. I find Yuasa to be a master of visual dynamism. He's able to create a tremendous sense of excitement in me by fairly simple camera/object movements and the soundtrack gives it that extra kick. For instance the opening of Kemonozume right after the road/eyes bit when the horns kick in on a gradually receding black/purple screen/insignia... or the beginning of Kaiba with the slow zoom in on the planet and the receding text kicks in again and then the entire screen undergoes a color morph... or also that image in Mindgame where the camera approaches the imaginary time/clock character and right when it gets to him he sets the clock/rewinds the time from his body.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I Love the New Millenium is on VH1 right now.

They're reminiscing about Shyamalan's Signs. :|
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I finally bought the first two seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I love this show.