Page 22 of 524 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122522 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Finished season 5 of Buffy and am just past "Once More, With Feeling" on season 6. Season 5 was nearly as solid as season 3, and rejuvenated a weak season 4, since Glory actually presented a formidable challenge mentally, and the season finished on a strong point. Given the relative humor that the childish villains have here presently (as it's really just three nerds conspiring to take over Sunnydale), it feels like Joss and company are much more concerned examining the nature of evil (or at least lack of trust in goodness) present in Willow, Xander, Giles, and Anya. What's depressing right now is that Willow's embrace of the evil feels like others beyond Giles should be noticing it, and that Tara should be confiding in someone soonish over Willow's magic spell to make her forget their arguments. And while OMwF has Buffy revealing her apathy at being resurrected, I fear the show might sacrifice that antagonism that she has toward the others a bit too quick.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Finished season 5 of Buffy and am just past "Once More, With Feeling" on season 6. Season 5 was nearly as solid as season 3, and rejuvenated a weak season 4, since Glory actually presented a formidable challenge mentally, and the season finished on a strong point. Given the relative humor that the childish villains have here presently (as it's really just three nerds conspiring to take over Sunnydale), it feels like Joss and company are much more concerned examining the nature of evil (or at least lack of trust in goodness) present in Willow, Xander, Giles, and Anya. What's depressing right now is that Willow's embrace of the evil feels like others beyond Giles should be noticing it, and that Tara should be confiding in someone soonish over Willow's magic spell to make her forget their arguments. And while OMwF has Buffy revealing her apathy at being resurrected, I fear the show might sacrifice that antagonism that she has toward the others a bit too quick.
    i stopped watching in the middle of season 5. sometime i'll get back to it. the Hope storyline was making me roll my eyes. i really liked season 4. i needed a break though as i had watched the first 4 seasons almost straight through.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Isn't that pretty much what it is? I thought I read somewhere that it was originally developed for Showtime or one of those channels but was axed, and CBS picked it up and reworked it a bit for primetime.
    That makes a lot of sense. It's really structured like an HBO/Showtime show.

That's disappointing. The sex could be an important part of the show. It's kind of anti-climactic that they keep cutting away when the orgies are supposed to be a powerful draw for the main couple and a turn-off for another. Seems like a really misplaced show.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Doctor Who was awesome once again last night. I can't wait for Moffat to take over full time, his grasp of the characters and where he can go with the show is incredible.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    i stopped watching in the middle of season 5. sometime i'll get back to it. the Hope storyline was making me roll my eyes. i really liked season 4. i needed a break though as i had watched the first 4 seasons almost straight through.
    What do you mean by the hope storyline?

Season 5 is the peak of the show. All of the central themes from the series surface and come to a head. No other season of the show has such a drastic, epic emotional arc and it's hands down Sarah Michelle Gellar's career performance.

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    Season 5 is the peak of the show. All of the central themes from the series surface and come to a head. No other season of the show has such a drastic, epic emotional arc and it's hands down Sarah Michelle Gellar's career performance.
    I assumed ledfloyd mistyped and meant Dawn rather than Hope.

That said, I agree with you thus far on Season 5. The whole Glory thing is beautifully woven into the framework, actions have consequences, and this season has the strongest consistency of episodes. "The Body" and "Fool for Love" are both incredible in their mythology and framework.

Nearly done with season 6, and so I can feel the difference between the two seasons. The g/f thinks this is her favorite season, and I sympathize with her because of the Spike/Buffy attraction, but the best relationship in my mind has been Xander/Anya and I'm afraid that things post-(non)marriage are going to ruin their dynamics. I know how the series ends with Anya, so I'm hoping that things remain in a shade of gray instead of casting her back in an evil light...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    That makes a lot of sense. It's really structured like an HBO/Showtime show.

That's disappointing. The sex could be an important part of the show. It's kind of anti-climactic that they keep cutting away when the orgies are supposed to be a powerful draw for the main couple and a turn-off for another. Seems like a really misplaced show.
    This is why I didn't bother to tune in. A show about swingers and orgies on CBS? That makes as much sense as The Wire on BET or Sopranos on A&E.

I started watching Craig Ferguson. The man is hysterical. Good thing I have DVR so I can watch both him and Conan.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I started watching Craig Ferguson. The man is hysterical. Good thing I have DVR so I can watch both him and Conan.
    Haven't watched him in a while, but I definitely agree that he makes a strong host. He's at his best when he does the opening monologues where he just goes off and talks without seeming to be reading from pre-written jokes.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

He's my favorite late night host. His freestyle interviewing is great. I love when guests aren't familiar with him, and don't know how to adjust to his style.

I find Ferguson to be a mixed bag. I like his solo stuff but I don't find he's a particularly good interviewer. You have to know when to ease off on the stupidity or your guests will just get annoyed.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Getting cable next Saturday! I could no longer bear knowing that awesome things were playing on AMC, TCM, and IFC, and that I couldn't watch them. No longer!

Do they broadcast in HD?

Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    Getting cable next Saturday! I could no longer bear knowing that awesome things were playing on AMC, TCM, and IFC, and that I couldn't watch them. No longer!

Do they broadcast in HD?
    I don't think any of them do yet.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Do they broadcast in HD?
    Your excitement for AMC is perplexing. But no, none of those channels are broadcast in HD. At least not in my area.

I'm pissed that I don't get FX in HD. Fucking DirectTV has it. Dammit, Comcast.

(Thanks for finally getting Sci-Fi HD though)
    Movie Theater Diary

Do they broadcast in HD?
    You will hate AMC. You will love TCM. I've never watched IFC so I couldn't say, but I do wish I had that channel.

I gave Swingtown a chance last week, and while there was some good stuff I'm sort of wary of getting hooked on a new show. Plus there wasn't enough there to really make me stick with the show. I agree about the whole "What's the point of having a show featuring sex and orgies on network TV?" argument.

Maybe I'll finally get my hands on Harvy Birdman: Season 2 since I got paid.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Why will I hate AMC?

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Why will I hate AMC?
    It's the same as watching a movie on TBS, CBS or other such channels. Full-screen and commercial interruptions. You may not mind, but it is hardly worth grouping with TCM or IFC.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    It's the same as watching a movie on TBS, CBS or other such channels. Full-screen and commercial interruptions. You may not mind, but it is hardly worth grouping with TCM or IFC.
    Blech! Never mind then. Yucka.

Blech! Never mind then. Yucka.
    Not only that, but their idea of American Movie Classics are films like Halloween 5 and Gothika. It's a complete waste of a channel.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Not only that, but their idea of American Movie Classics are films like Halloween 5 and Gothika. It's a complete waste of a channel.
    I'll never forget when they aired like five times in one week this film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0201844/

I saw the majority of it, and whoo boy. American movie classic is right.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I'll never forget when they aired like five times in one week this film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0201844/

I saw the majority of it, and whoo boy. American movie classic is right.
    :lol:

My wife and I watched about 15 minutes of it one night and couldn't even laugh at how bad it was.

Once upon a time, AMC was actually quite good. They were guilty of pan-and-scanning, yes, but most everyone was (even TCM used to do it a LOT).

Then they went to hell.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Once upon a time, AMC was actually quite good. They were guilty of pan-and-scanning, yes, but most everyone was (even TCM used to do it a LOT).

Then they went to hell.
    Yep. They used to be very similar to TCM (real classic films, no commercials, etc.). I called and complained, along with a few other people I know, when they changed their format to this current garbage. They said their ratings doubled with the switch, and thus wouldn't be switching back. The knowledge that their current content is more popular than the classic films they used to show sent me into a week-long depression.

:lol:

My wife and I watched about 15 minutes of it one night and couldn't even laugh at how bad it was.
    You'd think a film with the IMdB keywords "Knife", "Pinata", "Midget" and "Slasher" would at least have the decency to provide a few laughs.