Page 12 of 524 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112512 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

"I loved her."
    "You great, soft, sissy, girlie, nancy, French, bender, Man United supporting POOF!"

Possible the greatest quote ever uttered on television.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Teaser trailer for Ashes to Ashes. (only first 50 seconds)
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Enn6zc9ug-o

As was already known: Gene Hunt is in this, but Sam Tyler is not.

Seems like a bad idea. "It's the 80's, not the 70's this time!" does not equal brilliance.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Quote Quoting EvilShoe (view post)
    Teaser trailer for Ashes to Ashes. (only first 50 seconds)
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Enn6zc9ug-o

As was already known: Gene Hunt is in this, but Sam Tyler is not.

Seems like a bad idea. "It's the 80's, not the 70's this time!" does not equal brilliance.
    I still don't get the premise. So is Gene Hunt, like, what, an entity that shows up in cop's comas? And hard as they try, the 80s will never be as cool as the 70s. Look what happened to That 80's Show.

Last episode of Life on Mars airs in the US next tuesday. Maybe I'll know more then.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Although I do appreciate that they're bringing the entire team back, and not just Gene Hunt.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    It's easy to dismiss as fluff entertainment, but I am constantly surprised with the moments of genuine humanity sprinkled throughout its short episodes. It's remarkable. It's that measure of honest drama in the midst of all the laughs (that work or don't) that keeps me coming back.
    To me Season 2 best examplified that, what with a healthy balance of both emotional feel good episodes, ones that were really funny, and also ones that had both.

After watching the pilot episode for Season 1 I'm pretty much hooked on Mad Men, although the show's structure is pretty much exactly like The Sopranos. Not that its a bad thing as I'd prefer it to copy and emitate something truly great. I can already tell that the character of Don Draper will pay off huge divides down the stretch, and he seems to be very interesting and a mystery.

Breaking Bad was mostly solid, but I'm not completely sure if I'll stick with it. The show is pretty crazy and was entertaining for the most part, but aside from the lead's good performance and the great opener there really wasn't much to this first episode.

Oh and once again Garth Marenghi's Darkplace made me laugh and entertained the hell out of me. That show is a great combo of silly, random wacky British humor, sharp wit, and just plain weirdness. Good stuff really, and I think I've found a new favorite show, even though so far there's only been one season and only six episodes. Finally the new Aqua Teen Hunger Force episode was a tad on the funny side, but was mostly just really goddamn weird. [
    ]
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Hate to disappoint you Madman, but that one season of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is all you'll get.
    You could always try Man to Man with Dean Learner, but severely lower your expectations if you do. Deadpan humour and live audience do not mix well.

The "heart" in My Name is Earl just came across as forced to me in the second season. It reminds me of those 80's/90's shows like Step by Step and Full House, that always feel the need to end with a lesson.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

Hate to disappoint you Madman, but that one season of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is all you'll get.
    You could always try Man to Man with Dean Learner, but severely lower your expectations if you do. Deadpan humour and live audience do not mix well.
    Yeah, after checking IMDB.com I discovered that. Damn. Deadpan humor and live audiences? Yeah I think your right about that not mixing well....

The "heart" in My Name is Earl just came across as forced to me in the second season. It reminds me of those 80's/90's shows like Step by Step and Full House, that always feel the need to end with a lesson.
    I see your point there, although I can't say I agree with you there heh. Especially the Step By Step and Full House comparisons. Mainly because I've never liked Full House. But I did like Step By Step *shifty eyes*
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Check out Snuff Box. It's great and a lot of the sketches are on YouTube.
    Movie Theater Diary

So Lucy, Daughter of the Devil is actually a fairly decent, amusing show that sports some really funny stuff every now and then. I like the premise even if it hasn't resulted in anything particularly great. My favorite episode so far is the one with the vampire choir boys-that one was awesome.

The Daily Show's spoof of 24 rocked. Sure it was cheesy, but I laughed quite a bit. I do think that Jon Stewart has gotten really cynical over the years though.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

The final ep of Life on Mars is the kind of TV show ending that can make a grown man cry.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)

The final ep of Life on Mars is the kind of TV show ending that can make a grown man cry.
    As is the existence of Ashes to Ashes.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

As is the existence of Ashes to Ashes.
    Oh, I read up some explanation for it. It seems to take the position that Sam [
    ]

The new lead chick was assigned to Tyler's case, and read up on a report written by Tyler about how he dreamed of Gene Hunt and the 1973 world. That explains why she dreams of them in her coma also.
    Movie Theater Diary

Oh, I read up some explanation for it. It seems to take the position that Sam [
    ]

The new lead chick was assigned to Tyler's case, and read up on a report written by Tyler about how he dreamed of Gene Hunt and the 1973 world. That explains why she dreams of them in her coma also.
    I'm not too much of a fan of this explanation though. It seems too similar to Life on Mars, and I really fear they'll turn Hunt into a caricature by giving him a bigger role. Something I think they've managed to avoid so far.

[
    ]

Anyway, it airs on BBC in a couple of weeks. I'll check it out and let you know how it was.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

By the way, I wonder if they'll try to get a Bowie cameo.
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm currently going through some X-Files reruns tonight. SR 819 is pretty radical stuff, mainly because it touches upon Skinner and the fact that at any moment the powers that be can decided to end his life if he doesn't keep Mulder and Scully at bay. Host is pretty goddamn creepy, but then flatworms and parasites are high up on the list of things that scare the crap out of me. Next is Blood, which I've never seen before either. I wish that FOX still aired the reruns late at night, but for now they're only on TNT and Sci-Fi channel.

PS: The ending to Host was so goddamn freaky and disturbing. I got Nosferatu vibes from that final shot. Yikes. Damn fugly bastard mutant monster.....*shudders*

PPS: Blood was really cool, although Wetwired overall sported a better twist on the whole "subliminal messages" plotline.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Funny, the flukeman episode was on TNT HD last night and we decided while watching that we're gonna try renting the whole series on DVD as our next tv project.
    Movie Theater Diary

I've actually decided to view seasons in groups. I may try to track down 1 and 2 first, followed by 3 and 4, and then 5-6. I may view 7 separate and then try and decided I want to relive much of 8-9 again. So yeah I'm gleefully copying your idea number8.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Stephen Merchant is hilarious on Extras!

Andy Millman: That's Warwick Davis
    Darren Lamb: Where?
    Andy Millman: Down there.
    Darren Lamb: A midget. Cool!

[+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

5 episodes into Rescue Me's first season, (Watching it on television), and I must say I'm rather enjoying it.
    The way it blends drama and comedy is nicely done, and there are some interesting characters here.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

The second episode of Mad Men was interesting, if only because it sort of touched even more on the male early 60s psyche. I noted how Don and his boss really dismissed psychology, even though they're really in a business that depends on it and both seem to have deeper levels that they're hidding. If anything the troubles that Don's wife has in this episode really explores that even those with "everything" don't have the happiness they almost desperately crave.

Oh and ATHF was more disturbing than funny tonight. [
    ]
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

So yeah I'm now pretty much a fan of The Venture Brothers. I love its off beat, smart humor and pretty much every single episode I've seen has entertained me and made me laugh. Plus Brock is simply one of the most badass cartoon characters ever.

To my surprise the latest episode of Family Guy actually made me laugh quite a bit. I liked the whole high school subplot with Stewie (which was topped off with Bob Dylan's The Hurricane heh), and the part where a stroke ridden Peter drives along singing Its The End of the World As We Know It was highly amusing. The show may not be half as funny as it used to be but it still manages to amuse me in many ways.

Despite the Goodfellas spoof American Dad just wasn't really funny tonight. Considering its Family Guy only with different characters who are still similar to the Griffin clan I can't say I'm a fan of it. Although I do like the fish and the alien. Too bad because the premise is halfway decent.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I don't think American Dad is that similar to Family Guy anymore. American Dad doesn't use skits and they don't rely too often on random pop culture references. I much prefer it, anyway.
    Movie Theater Diary

Oh, and last night was easily the worst Simpsons episode in a very, very long time.

I think I was especially offended because not only was it not funny, but it changed the family's history. What a pile of horse shit.
    Movie Theater Diary

I don't think American Dad is that similar to Family Guy anymore. American Dad doesn't use skits and they don't rely too often on random pop culture references. I much prefer it, anyway.
    I haven't watched it since the first season, but I remember the show was a lot more hateful and more prickly than Family Guy. Of course, I still preferred it to the FG episodes being aired at the time, but I still gave up on it. It was more story-oriented though, even then, and that's a plus.

So, people on the radio keep talking about HBO's Entreatment and they're making me really, really want to see it.