Page 11 of 524 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I just finished season three. Easily one of the funniest shows I've seen. From about 2 or 3 episodes into season two to the end of season three it's been in top form. Jeff and Patrick are two of the funniest characters ever. I'm scared to move on to season four, if it's as bad as you say it is. I almost don't want to tarnish how good it's been.
    My favorite Patrick moment has to be when
    [
    ]

Season 4 isn't awful, I still laughed quite a bit. It's just a very flawed season. Sycophant already said it, but Patrick & Sally are the highlight this time around.
    It just doesn't come near the first three seasons.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting EvilShoe (view post)
    My favorite Patrick moment has to be when
    [
    ]

Season 4 isn't awful, I still laughed quite a bit. It's just a very flawed season. Sycophant already said it, but Patrick & Sally are the highlight this time around.
    It just doesn't come near the first three seasons.
    Yes! That moment was hilarious. I'll definitely finish it up, but it's sad to know it's such a decline in quality. I'm actually happy to hear that Patrick and Sally are the focus, as they're much funnier than Steve and Susan.

The whole Patrick/Sally meeting episode is my favorite. I also love the part where Sally says, "That's an AWFUL painting!" when in Patrick's part of the story it's actually a mirror.

This would imply that My Name is Earl was ever on the rails to begin with. Which it wasn't.
    :| I must be the only fan of the show here on Match-Cut.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Where the fuck is Jeff??? And who the fuck is this unfunny prat Oliver???

Where the fuck is Jeff??? And who the fuck is this unfunny prat Oliver???
    :cry:
    Richard Coyle quit after season 3. He was afraid of being typecast, and wanted to do other things with his career.

I just finished the finale. Don't read the spoiler, K_Fan, you must experience the horror yourself.

There are no words for
    [].
    :frustrated::frustrated::frust rated::frustrated:

Who thought this was a good idea?

Other than that, it's a good ending. Not everything's wrapped up, but you can tell where it'll all go.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

:cry:
    Richard Coyle quit after season 3. He was afraid of being typecast, and wanted to do other things with his career.
    You just ruined my day.

You just ruined my day.
    I thought you knew!

My spoilerised detail from the final episode will make you very angry.
    This I know.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

I thought you knew!
    Nope. I kind of guessed as much after he wasn't in the first two episodes. Couldn't they have let him go out on a high note? Why did they have to take his girlfriend away, only to have him leave alone?

The awful, clumsy handling of Jeff's departure is a horrible shame for the show to bear. It's sad that Coyle left (I hear in addition to fear of being typecast, he was getting a good deal of harrassment from people meeting him, treating him like Jeff--still, I wish he had had even a thirty second scene at the start of series 4).

And EvilShoe, [
    ]

I can't fucking stand Oliver. He isn't the slightest bit funny.

I can't fucking stand Oliver. He isn't the slightest bit funny.
    Oh, c'mon. Don't you get it? He's a geek!

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Oh, c'mon. Don't you get it? He's a geek!
    Seriously, I'm on "The Naked Living Room", the episode centered around he and Jane. He's a complete waste. I've never been a big fan of Jane either, so this episode is just painful.

Still, this season has been worth it for the multi-person telephone conversation and the Natal class in which every woman had been with Patrick.

I think my favorite Season 4 moment is when Sally gets drunk and sings the song about Susan.

There are no words for
    [].
    :frustrated::frustrated::frust rated::frustrated:
    This has to be a dream. It has to be. No way is this real. No way are they going to do this.

EDIT: Thank fucking God. It's still ridiculous, but at least it's not real.

This has to be a dream. It has to be. No way is this real. No way are they going to do this.

EDIT: Thank fucking God. It's still ridiculous, but at least it's not real.
    It was perhaps the most painful thing I've ever had to experience.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

Wow. Really lame final 5 minutes. Bummer.

Wow. Really lame final 5 minutes. Bummer.
    Yeah. There had been talk of a Christmas special for a couple years after the show ended. I think it's safe to say that won't happen at this point. However, I had been hoping for it, not because I was particularly interested in where any of the storylines were headed, but rather I wanted the last thing the show said to be anything but that.

I didn't mind the actual ending. It lacks laughs, but it has heart.

Of course, everything looks passable after
    []

Anyway, Creator Steven Moffat posted some conclusions for the characters at a message board:
    Sally said yes to Patrick, they got married and are very happy ... especially as Sally beat Susan to the altar and finally did something first. Patrick is now a completely devoted husband who lives in total denial that he was anything other an upstanding member of the community. Or possibly he's actually forgotten. He doesn't like remembering things because it's a bit like thinking.
    Jane and Oliver never actually did have sex but they did become very good friends. They often rejoice together that their friendship is uncomplicated by any kind of sexual attraction - but they both get murderously jealous when the other is dating. Jane has a job at Oliver's science fiction book shop now - and since Oliver has that one moment of Naked Jane burnt on the inside of his eyelids, he now loses the place in one in every three sentences. People who know them well think something's gotta give - and they're right. Especially as Jane comes to work in a metal bikini.
    Steve and Susan have two children now and have recently completed work on a sitcom about their early lives together. They're developing a new television project but it keeps getting delayed as he insists on writing episodes of some old kids show they recently pulled out of mothballs. She gets very cross about this and, if he says, "Yeah, but check out the season poll!" one more time, he will not live to write another word.
    Jeff is still abroad. He lives a life of complete peace and serenity now, having taken the precaution of not learning a word of the local language and therefore protecting himself from the consequences of his own special brand of communication. If any English speakers turn up, he pretends he only speaks Hebrew. He is, at this very moment, staring out to sea and sighing happily every 38 seconds.
    What he doesn't know, of course, is that even now a beautiful Israeli girl he once met in a bar is heading toward his apartment, having been directed by the only Hebrew speaker on the island. What he also doesn't know is that she is being driven by a young ex-pat Englishwoman, who is still grieving the loss of a charming, one-legged Welshman she once met on a train. And he cannot possibly suspect that (owing to a laundry mix-up and a stag party the previous night in the same block) he is wearing heat-dissolving trunks.
    As the doorbell rings, it is best that we draw a veil.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

Oh how I missed you Adult Swim. Darth Mangani's Darkplace is still gloriously hilarious, Boondocks rocks as usual, and I continued to view more of The Venture Brothers and enjoy Family Guy reruns.

If I had only TCM, ESPN and Comedy Central I'd pretty much be set to survive the strike. But alas I only have them up here while I go to school.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    :| I must be the only fan of the show here on Match-Cut.
    I'm quite a big fan, MadMan. It deserves a lot more recognition - even though it has an audience, it's still underrated.

I'm 4 episodes into the IT Crowd, a show of which I saw (and hated) the pilot a long time ago.

I still don't care much for it, but Richard Ayoade is a funny guy.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

So I've never seen Static Shock before. From what I know about the show, it is generally considered a good, decently-written superhero show, but aimed at a younger crowd (like Legions of Super-Heroes, which I watched for a few eps and was impressed, but decided not for me).

But I did know that it had crossovers with other DC shows, and that Batman and Joker appeared in one episode. I found that ep online today and decided to watch it. The show is pretty much what I expected, but I was surprised that they didn't sacrifice the previously established characterizations of Batman and Joker from B:TAS. Batman is gloom and a dick to Static, Robin has to explain every detective investigation procedures to Static, while Static's villains are in awe of Joker's sadism that they're not used to. Yet in lieu of all this, while the guests definitely steal the show, Static is still the main character of the episode.

Good show, WB. That's how you do a crossover. Now back to me not watching Static Shock.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I'm quite a big fan, MadMan. It deserves a lot more recognition - even though it has an audience, it's still underrated.
    Glad to hear it ETM. I'm glad that NBC believes in it-when it first came out I wondered if it was going to last even one season.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Glad to hear it ETM. I'm glad that NBC believes in it-when it first came out I wondered if it was going to last even one season.
    It's easy to dismiss as fluff entertainment, but I am constantly surprised with the moments of genuine humanity sprinkled throughout its short episodes. It's remarkable. It's that measure of honest drama in the midst of all the laughs (that work or don't) that keeps me coming back.