Page 492 of 524 FirstFirst ... 392442482490491492493494502 ... LastLast
Results 12,276 to 12,300 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Having finished the first season, my biggest critique of Catastrophe is that the final episode [
    ]

It just felt a little too neat when it needed to be messier. Still a lovely season, quick but lovely.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

In unrelated news, Breaking Bad, season 5, "Dead Freight," aka the train heist. So good. Great direction and pacing, all of which make up for some perfunctory home sequences.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

Finished S2 of Penny Dreadful. I was not as impressed this season. It's good, but there were a number of things that could have been waaaay better.

[
    ]

Anyway. I do plan to watch S3. I like who they're teasing as the big-bads next season.
    Last edited by Spun Lepton; 07-28-2015 at 03:22 PM.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    In unrelated news, Breaking Bad, season 5, "Dead Freight," aka the train heist. So good. Great direction and pacing, all of which make up for some perfunctory home sequences.
    Top 5 of the entire series.

After watching and loving Star Trek: TNG, and Deep Space Nine, I thought I was on the sidelines of Star Trek geekdom. You know, acknowledging their overall quality while not feeling the lavish devotion some fans show.

Then the original series dropped on to Netflix and I starting watching them. I'm early in the 2nd season and I'll be damned if it's not some of the best sci-fi I've ever encountered. (Keep in mind, I'm not nearly the sci-fi fan I am the horror fan.) But, damn. I mean damn! There are some incredible stories in this series. The Doomsday Machine has so far been my favorite. So simple, yet so, so, so exciting. Riveting. Just really fucking good, despite the cheaper sets. Mind you, the remastered space SPFX may help, too. Just, wow.

I think I may be on my way to becoming a Trekkie. Is that sad? FUCK YOU I DON'T CARE! hehe

- - - - -
    And now you know what just about every instance of modern sci-fi (including some of the Trek movies) bugs the ever living shit out of me.

(Also, welcome. Orientation is at 8am tomorrow in the Constellation Ballroom and you can pick up your complimentary Spock ears at the front desk. Qa'pla!)

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    (Also, welcome. Orientation is at 8am tomorrow in the Constellation Ballroom and you can pick up your complimentary Spock ears at the front desk. Qa'pla!)
    *pushes glasses up nose* Why would you follow a comment about the Vulcans with statement in Klingon?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    *pushes glasses up nose* Why would you follow a comment about the Vulcans with statement in Klingon?
    Good. Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the nerd flow through you.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Been watching random episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Patrick Stewart is so good as Jean-Luc, but there's just so much space bullshit where they could be saying literally anything. It's probably endearing for uber-fans when they're talking about, oh, the cross-bracing is Victurium alloy, that's why the graviton waves didn't penetrate to the energy core, but I just want character drama.

Seriously though, Stewart. So much the best Captain.

So I've had a ton of repetitive data entry work recently so I've tuned in to a lot of summer TV and some of it is very good. Want to raise awareness in case people aren't watching, especially since they would qualify for next year's Cutties and I don't want them forgotten.

Series:

UnREAL: actually great. I didn't have high hopes given the premise and the fact that it's on Lifetime, but this very dark comedy was a welcome surprise. It is a scripted show taking place behind the scenes of a reality dating competition, and is emotionally brutal. Cynical, incisive, and just soapy enough to keep it fun. Highly recommended.

Another Period: Very silly faux-reality show taking place in the 1910's. They lean way in to the ridiculous premise, and the excellent cast (Riki Lindhome, Natasha Leggero, Paget Brewster, Christina Hendricks, Michael Ian Black, Blanche Dover, etc.) elevate the material. Very watchable.

Sense8: I know some people watched this, but maybe not enough? Tonally inconsistent but visually stunning, thoughtful, and ambitious. The AV Club compared it to Dollhouse, which is surprisingly apt. Love the cast and very much wanting a second season.

Miniseries:

Poldark: polished period production with lots of attractive people, often in a state of undress. Integrates politics in with the rest of the story in a way reminiscent of North and South, which I love. But it's not quite as good as North and South. I haven't quite finished it yet.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell: really pretty good. I would have said that the book was unadaptable, but this really did the best job that can be expected. Some fine visual effects and solid performances from the leads.

EDIT: Oh, and Catastrophe was great!
    Last edited by Mara; 08-05-2015 at 01:28 PM.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Narratives that don't move fast: the second season of Twin Peaks. Where the first season kept ratcheting up the suspense and narrative drive, we've hit episode 13 or 14, and there's still so many to go, and so many annoying subplots that aren't/never-were going anywhere interesting: Civil War figurines, the idiocy of the Evelyn arc with James, and several others. The show still knows how to orchestrate atmosphere, but the drive has utterly faded away.

So depressing when I wanted to defend the second season when we started watching.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

I'll go ahead and say it. We recently tried rewatching Twin Peaks, and couldn't even get to the big reveal. I did not like it at all. It went from being one of my favorite shows to something I couldn't even finish. The whole thing should have been compressed to about 8 episodes. I still really like Cooper, and the scene in the diner with Bobby and his dad is still very powerful. But beyond that, I don't know.

Anybody start Difficult People yet? Curious to see what this might grow into, but the first two eps seem to be tailored strictly to Julie Klausner fans. Billy Eichner is not as manic as his usual self in it.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Been watching random episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Patrick Stewart is so good as Jean-Luc, but there's just so much space bullshit where they could be saying literally anything. It's probably endearing for uber-fans when they're talking about, oh, the cross-bracing is Victurium alloy, that's why the graviton waves didn't penetrate to the energy core, but I just want character drama.

Seriously though, Stewart. So much the best Captain.
    The techno-speak is endearing, I think. Have you watched The Inner Light? You may want to check that one out. I'd also recommend checking out Deep Space 9. There's a lot more character drama, even though I think the drama kinda sputters in the end. Either way, it may be more up your alley. Just skip the first season and you'll be fine. No, seriously, skip the first season.

https://youtu.be/OM8HNuRLIBI

Westworld teaser. Gonna be great I think.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Hulu added the first season of You're the Worst to their streaming service yesterday. We are now nearly through with the first season. Aya Cash is absolutely wonderful in this, and there's usually at least two or three solid moments in each episode that make up for the conventional plotting at points. When strung together in such quick succession, the series awkwardly repeats itself as Jimmy and Gretchen work to place their non-relationship in clearer terms each time, but it's otherwise solid. Looking forward to finishing it in the coming day or so.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

I didn't dislike it, but it is very much conventional. I'm getting real tired of things being billed as an "anti-romantic comedy" when it's absolutely a romcom. It doesn't make it less a typical romcom just because the couple consists of two awful people who like sex. I think the worst part about the show is how insistent it is of coming across as more subversive than traditional romcoms, when it barely does. When it's just honestly focusing on the two leads hashing out their issues, it works.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Oh, they also don't do a very good job balancing the awfulness of the two. They're both shameless and remorseless and horrifyingly rude, but Gretchen is portrayed to be cunning and pragmatic in getting what she wants, whereas Jimmy is just a long string of whiny naggy complaining until he gets a semblance of what he wants. When they're not together, one is more fun to watch than the other. When they are together, it's way too easy to be on her side more than his.
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah, can't wait for Westworld.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I didn't dislike it, but it is very much conventional. I'm getting real tired of things being billed as an "anti-romantic comedy" when it's absolutely a romcom. It doesn't make it less a typical romcom just because the couple consists of two awful people who like sex. I think the worst part about the show is how insistent it is of coming across as more subversive than traditional romcoms, when it barely does. When it's just honestly focusing on the two leads hashing out their issues, it works.
    That's interesting that you feel this way. Pretty early on You're the Worst started to feel like a surrogate Happy Endings for me (though with less verbal ingenuity in the sparring), which puts it firmly in the romcom territory. The show doesn't always know what to do with its parts, the kid next door feels pretty abandoned, which is probably for the best since he's always been a lesser agent on the show. If there's any complaint that I wield at the show after finishing the first season, it's that it subscribes to the typical romcom patter that there's nothing else of note after marriage except a yearning for divorce. And while that's tied to a generational critique, it exemplifies why I always found Jane and Brad from HE so exciting. They were able to be a part of a less-together crew while remaining committed to one another. It's depressing to realize how rare that sort of interplay is on a television show.

Aya Cash makes this material sell more than many actors could. I agree that the show too frequently assumes her position, but found the final few episodes to grant Jimmy a core identity that can withstand her position without submitting to it wholeheartedly. If they're able to make Lindsay more than her current "being dragged into adulthood kicking and screaming" without relying on a pat romance between her and Edgar, the show has the ability to become better in the sophomore season.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar

excuse me while I go hyperventilate
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Anyone watching Last Comic Standing? It's quite good this season. Hadn't watched it in years. Norm Macdonald is a great addition, and I like that they don't have too much reality show bullshit. Anthony Jeselnik gets a bit lost in the mix though.
    Last edited by Winston*; 08-13-2015 at 10:20 AM.

This is pretty great. The next five seasons of Sesame Street will be funded exclusively by HBO, who is upping their episode order from a 18 eps season to 35 eps.

PBS will continue to air old episodes of Sesame Street uninterrupted, and after 9 months, HBO will allow PBS and local stations to air the new episodes for free.

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/press-...e-partnership/
    Movie Theater Diary

That's a great example of private and public forces working together.

And maybe we'll finally get the cussing and nudity that we've always wanted from our favorite street in the hood.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)

And maybe we'll finally get the cussing and nudity that we've always wanted from our favorite street in the hood.
    The dvds were unrated and always had the cussing and nudity intact it was just cut out for the PBS broadcasts.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+