Page 27 of 524 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Michael J. Fox is going to be in Rescue Me.

I don't feel very good about that. It was pretty sad to watch him on the recent AFI list.
    They'll probably make fun of him, too.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    They'll probably make fun of him, too.
    I wouldn't see it any other way.

He'll be the new boyfriend to Tommy Gavin's ex-wife.

We'll see where this goes.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    He'll be the new boyfriend to Tommy Gavin's ex-wife.
    Oh boy. Oh boy.

This season will have the most Parkinsons insult in the entire history of television.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Oh boy. Oh boy.

This season will have the most Parkinsons insult in the entire history of television.
    Mmm'hmm.

I'll wait until I see it. Surely Denis Leary has a little heart in him.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Emmy noms were announced this morn.

Big long list here.

I am happy that Scare Tactics is back.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Bridget Jones (view post)
    Emmy Awards noms were announced this morn.

Big long list here.
    The Wire - 1 nom

Weak.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I may tune in this year, even though I think the Emmy's at this point are even more irrelevent than the Oscars are now. I prefer the Golden Globes when it comes to awards shows.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    That's the most ridiculous, obnoxious list of categories I've ever seen. And one writing nod for The Wire after all these years is a slap in the face to what that show accomplished. Complete garbage.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    That's the most ridiculous, obnoxious list of categories I've ever seen. And one writing nod for The Wire after all these years is a slap in the face to what that show accomplished. Complete garbage.
    It's not complete garbage, but any good from the list (MadMen) is almost entirely negated by the gargantuan display of idiocy that is the continual snubbing of The Wire. That is epic retardation that chanting to myself "awards shows don't matter" still makes my blood boil. I haven't seen a better Drama in the last 5 years nor have I seen a more unique and charismatic character than Michael K. Williams' Omar, yet neither received a nomination in the show's tenure. Every Emmy dream ballot I saw had them listed cause shockingly we actually watch television. The Emmy voters, apparently, do not.

You guys know how Emmy nominations are decided, right?

Essentially eligible shows have to include themselves by paying an application fee ($450) and then the list of all applicants are mailed to a list of fellow working professionals who pay a membership to be included. These people then simply choose the shows they like from the list. It's got nothing to do with quality. It's just what are the shows they've seen and enjoy. That's why TV producers pay top dollar to pull whole-page ads on Variety to call attention to their shows. Just a little prodding to fellow Hollywood folks to watch it and vote for them.

Don't get too worked up over it, is what I'm saying. I don't think David Simon and Ed Burns are the kind of dudes who really care about these things enough to go through the bullshit.
    Movie Theater Diary

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Huh. Pretty implicit masterbation scene in the middle of last Saturday's Code Geass episode. Just out of the blue and then gone just as fast. Weird. There's been nothing to indicate the show would ever get this racy (genocide of innocent people in the first episode aside). While it's on Adult Swim, I am surprised they didn't cut it because it really had nothing to do with the rest of the episode.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Don't get too worked up over it, is what I'm saying.
    I'm not getting worked up over it, but it would be nice if the show could possibly get more widespread recognition, and this was the last chance that the Emmy voters could do their part, and they didn't. Boston freaking Legal? Seriously? (Or maybe there are fans of the show here on Match Cut who could enlighten me on the show's appeal 'cause I sure as frick don't see it.)

I'm about to start watching Homicide, number8. I thought I should alert you to this fact.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I'm about to start watching Homicide, number8. I thought I should alert you to this fact.
    Thanks. I'll get my garrote ready just in case you hate it.
    Movie Theater Diary

Finished 30 Rock: Season 1 on the Netflix Player. It's enjoyable the entire way through if you're a Tina Fey fan.

Baldwin is simply awesome in it too.

The Black Crusaders bit at the end was the best.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Sxottlan (view post)
    Huh. Pretty implicit masterbation scene in the middle of last Saturday's Code Geass episode. Just out of the blue and then gone just as fast. Weird. There's been nothing to indicate the show would ever get this racy (genocide of innocent people in the first episode aside). While it's on Adult Swim, I am surprised they didn't cut it because it really had nothing to do with the rest of the episode.
    Which season/episode are we talking here. Do you mean the girl who's obsessed with Lelouche's sister? Yeah that was a weird scene.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

You guys know how Emmy nominations are decided, right?

Essentially eligible shows have to include themselves by paying an application fee ($450) and then the list of all applicants are mailed to a list of fellow working professionals who pay a membership to be included. These people then simply choose the shows they like from the list. It's got nothing to do with quality. It's just what are the shows they've seen and enjoy. That's why TV producers pay top dollar to pull whole-page ads on Variety to call attention to their shows. Just a little prodding to fellow Hollywood folks to watch it and vote for them.

Don't get too worked up over it, is what I'm saying. I don't think David Simon and Ed Burns are the kind of dudes who really care about these things enough to go through the bullshit.
    Heh, that explains a great deal. And doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Um, Harvey Keitel's going to play Gene Hunt.

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Which season/episode are we talking here. Do you mean the girl who's obsessed with Lelouche's sister? Yeah that was a weird scene.
    It's about a dozen episodes in. I think it's the princess in pink hair she was fantasizing about, not Lelouche's sister.

Either way, I can't imagine what else the scene implied: shadow of the girl moving back and forth faster and faster and then slowing down. She's against a corner of a table and there's a magazine open to a picture of the princess. The sister in the wheelchair interrupts and she pushes down her skirt. Again, just really out of nowhere. I know there are some animes that seem PG 9 times out of 10, but then will suddenly through in some nudity or sex scene.

The show in general seems like a mix of Eureka 7 and Death Note. The girl in green hair is obnoxious and there sure seems like there'd have to be a lot of explaining from her before Lelouche would let her hang around so casually.

Can't decide if I'm a fan yet. Not right now anyway.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

America-dwellers can nab seasons of The X-Files for $20 a pop today at Amazon.

Quote Quoting Sxottlan (view post)
    It's about a dozen episodes in. I think it's the princess in pink hair she was fantasizing about, not Lelouche's sister.
    Ah right right my mistake... still cripples... such a turn on.

I quite like the show, mostly for the storyline and tone... love that noirish score... animation-wise it's just above average. Great Teacher Onizuka has some sax (I think?) in it's score as well, can't get enough of that stuff.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Episode 5 of Homicide was fucking great. This show is quality, dismantle your garrote, number8.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Episode 5 of Homicide was fucking great. This show is quality, dismantle your garrote, number8.
    It is going back to the box. Glad you're enjoying it. That episode is my favorite hour of television ever, no contest.
    Movie Theater Diary

Kaiba episode 10 is out and it's great.