Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Have you guys read The Circles of Dr. Lao, by Charles G. Finney? Not only is it one of the most creative, best, and most wonderfully written novels ever - totally ahead of its time, still totally bizarre and weird over 70 years later - but it had to be in influence on this show. We just started watching it since the HBO stuff was added to Amazon Prime, and I keep thinking of a mix between Dr. Lao and Twin Peaks.
    I'll add it to my list - I remember being whelmed by the film Seven Faces of Dr. Lao.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I'll add it to my list - I remember being whelmed by the film Seven Faces of Dr. Lao.
    A total travesty compared to the depth, pathos and brilliance of the book.

The book will shock you, it's so good. Like just, completely fucking bonkers and awesome. It totally blows my mind that it was written in the 1930s, because it's as weird, bizarre and boundary-pushing as anything by anyone like Ligotti, Cisco, etc.

It's so utterly complex, mystifying and creepy, that I could probably read it a hundred times and never get tired of it, used to it, or really understand what it is saying.