Page 472 of 524 FirstFirst ... 372422462470471472473474482522 ... LastLast
Results 11,776 to 11,800 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I just think this is wonderful and am truly sorry I'll never get to know how it was supposed to end.
    You'll wanna read this:

http://www.avclub.com/article/daniel...ong-weir-92780
    http://www.avclub.com/article/daniel...-of-icar-92877 (2nd part)
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Two things I have yet to watch.

But yes, you're right. It's a show that feels deeply perverse as opposed to just weird or sensationalistic like most Horror fiction. I also got the feeling that the writers had a pretty thorough show Bible since the characters and situations have an almost novel-like density. In fact, I wish they'd manage to end the story in any medium.
    The show bible used to pitch is available online, and it's a pleasure to read.

Well, thanks for those links, all of you! The interviews I already read and they're very good. The Show Bible is going to take me a bit longer.

A fpoon.

Captioning Pee-wee's Playhouse. Been working on just this show for the entire week. Barely watched it as a kid, but watching it as an adult, it's very clever, a hallucinogenic riff on Mr. Rogers that somehow stays heartwarming - although later seasons toss in a little too much innuendo for my taste. I remember enjoying it as a child, and I liked Big Adventure as an adult, but what I never really noticed before was how perfectly modulated Pee-wee is as a character. Abrasive, but sweet-hearted, and his most explosive outbursts carry the ring of childlike truth, like when he can't wait to answer the door or phone, or how he's a little confused by Miss Yvonne - he knows she's pretty, but he's not at a stage where he has any grasp of why he thinks so.

My favorite puppet is Pterri, because dinosaur (or dinosaur-related, at least). Randy is a close second, the snarky little prick.

All right, I've finished DS9. Overall, I'm glad I watched it. But, it wasn't without its fair share of frustrations. Thoughts on the final episode behind the spoiler.

[
    ]

In case anybody's wondering, yes, I've moved on to Voyager. Wish me luck.

- - - - -
    Voyager is the beginning of the end. Ugh. Seven years, one good episode & it nearly celebrates every single weakness that Star Trek ever had.

So, uh, good luck?

I really think everyone needs to catch up on Rectify before the next Cutties. The first season is on Netflix.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I already did. Leave me alooone.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I already did. Leave me alooone.
    No. Go watch Slings & Arrows.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Voyager is the beginning of the end. Ugh. Seven years, one good episode & it nearly celebrates every single weakness that Star Trek ever had.

So, uh, good luck?
    That appears to be the consensus. I'm going to give it a chance. That said, my main TV show right now will be Game of Thrones.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I really think everyone needs to catch up on Rectify before the next Cutties. The first season is on Netflix.
    That was already next on my list now that I've finished Orphan Black.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Captioning Pee-wee's Playhouse. Been working on just this show for the entire week. Barely watched it as a kid, but watching it as an adult, it's very clever, a hallucinogenic riff on Mr. Rogers that somehow stays heartwarming - although later seasons toss in a little too much innuendo for my taste. I remember enjoying it as a child, and I liked Big Adventure as an adult, but what I never really noticed before was how perfectly modulated Pee-wee is as a character. Abrasive, but sweet-hearted, and his most explosive outbursts carry the ring of childlike truth, like when he can't wait to answer the door or phone, or how he's a little confused by Miss Yvonne - he knows she's pretty, but he's not at a stage where he has any grasp of why he thinks so.

My favorite puppet is Pterri, because dinosaur (or dinosaur-related, at least). Randy is a close second, the snarky little prick.
    It's a tremendous show.

Just finished watching the second and last season of CarnivÃ*le. Just a tremendous show with a personality that few others can claim to be imbued with. The casting of Michael J. Anderson seems prophetic as the series goes on to have a feel reminiscent of Twin Peaks, and can in turns be disturbing, dramatic or bizarrely funny. It's also obvious that a lot of research went into the reconstruction of the 1930s, even down to the way people talk.

Why didn't it work? I think if it had come out a few years later, with audiences getting more used to involvement with shows that don't necessarily provide all the answers, it might have. But I'm not that confident with my analysis nor am I a great TV watcher. I just think this is wonderful and am truly sorry I'll never get to know how it was supposed to end.
    Whoo!

It's basically my favorite show, in that it's the kind of show I would want to make in my wildest dreams. The unapologetically serious fusion of history and myth and religion and supernaturalism and darkness and sex (it's so strangely kinky - but so is Greek myth and the Bible). And there's a palpable unease that accompanies the supernaturalism. It feels intrusive and threatening, as opposed to the banal "fantasy" of most monster-of-the-week sci-fi/fantasy shows.

I think you're right that it was probably ahead of its time. Post Game of Thrones and post True Detective, there'd probably be a larger appetite for its measured, relaxed thriller storytelling.
    Have you guys read The Circles of Dr. Lao, by Charles G. Finney? Not only is it one of the most creative, best, and most wonderfully written novels ever - totally ahead of its time, still totally bizarre and weird over 70 years later - but it had to be in influence on this show. We just started watching it since the HBO stuff was added to Amazon Prime, and I keep thinking of a mix between Dr. Lao and Twin Peaks.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Have you guys read The Circles of Dr. Lao, by Charles G. Finney? Not only is it one of the most creative, best, and most wonderfully written novels ever - totally ahead of its time, still totally bizarre and weird over 70 years later - but it had to be in influence on this show. We just started watching it since the HBO stuff was added to Amazon Prime, and I keep thinking of a mix between Dr. Lao and Twin Peaks.
    I'll add it to my list - I remember being whelmed by the film Seven Faces of Dr. Lao.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    That appears to be the consensus. I'm going to give it a chance. That said, my main TV show right now will be Game of Thrones.
    Keep an eye out for a two parter (?) called The Year In Hell. It's the best episode of the series, and maybe one of the best in the Trek universe.

I'll add it to my list - I remember being whelmed by the film Seven Faces of Dr. Lao.
    A total travesty compared to the depth, pathos and brilliance of the book.

The book will shock you, it's so good. Like just, completely fucking bonkers and awesome. It totally blows my mind that it was written in the 1930s, because it's as weird, bizarre and boundary-pushing as anything by anyone like Ligotti, Cisco, etc.

It's so utterly complex, mystifying and creepy, that I could probably read it a hundred times and never get tired of it, used to it, or really understand what it is saying.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    All right, I've finished DS9. Overall, I'm glad I watched it. But, it wasn't without its fair share of frustrations. Thoughts on the final episode behind the spoiler.

In case anybody's wondering, yes, I've moved on to Voyager. Wish me luck.
    I liked the last 10 episodes probably a bit more then you. In fact I love the last 10 episodes. It's as far as I remember my favorite part of the series. I've been slowly rewatching DS9, I'm in the third season, and it's not as good as I remember it which is too bad.

Since I have usually been the one replying you'll still get a lot of comments from me from Voyager. There is some really fun stuff in the series, but it's a jarring series in a lot of respects. I'm still excited to hear your thoughts. I also hope it doesn't burn you out of watching Enterprise which despite having a pretty terrible first season has a great 3rd and 4th season.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    I liked the last 10 episodes probably a bit more then you. In fact I love the last 10 episodes. It's as far as I remember my favorite part of the series. I've been slowly rewatching DS9, I'm in the third season, and it's not as good as I remember it which is too bad.

Since I have usually been the one replying you'll still get a lot of comments from me from Voyager. There is some really fun stuff in the series, but it's a jarring series in a lot of respects. I'm still excited to hear your thoughts. I also hope it doesn't burn you out of watching Enterprise which despite having a pretty terrible first season has a great 3rd and 4th season.
    I think my favorite episode of the entire run was the one where Jake lived out his entire life with Capt. Sisko appearing and disappearing out of reality. Tony Todd freakin' owned that part. That said, most everything having to do with the Dominion War was above-par for the series, so aside from some mistakes in the final episode (and final season), it was very enjoyable. It's funny to think I didn't like a majority of the characters when it began (especially Bashir), but by the end I was rooting for all of them, (even Bashir).

I've watched the pilot and 2nd episodes of Voyager. There's some painfully bad dialogue. But, it has a certain tone TNG had that DS9 did not. Hopefully that will be enough to propel me further into the series. Despite all the negative appraisal, I really do want to like the series. The setup is intriguing. I've found that I already like Neelix and the hologram doctor characters quite a bit, (probably because they're comic relief).

Well I went back to watching Dexter. I'm deep into Season 3.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Well I went back to watching Dexter. I'm deep into Season 3.
    Nooo! Get out while you can!

But seriously, I wouldn't go further than the end of Season 4. Every person I know completely regrets staying with the latter half of the series and it seems to haunt them every time they talk about getting into any show.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

But I have to finish it. The last show I saw the end of that wasn't two or one seasons long was 24. And it didn't actually end!
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    The last season specifically the ending is really the only part I considered bad in Dexter. I don't regret watching any of the other stuff and I really liked alot of the seasons after 4.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Finally getting to seeing The Hollow Crown. I'm totally excited.
    ...and the milk's in me.

So, Richard II was excellent. The direction didn't need to be much to get through it, but instead it choose to be downright stylish, with a distinct point of view and some lovely visuals. The play itself is a few great scenes bulked out with political intriguing that could easily get tedious, but excellent performances and good locations add visual interest to even the driest power arguments. A couple moments were on-the-nose enough to be silly (Richard's name being erased from the sand; a magic floating crown at one point) but the whole is sumptuous enough to make up for it.

Ben Winshaw and Rory Kinnear have the heavyweight parts, and they conduct themselves very well, especially Winshaw, who plays Richard as a great mix of pitiful and irritating. He is preening and arrogant and we want to smack him down; but when events go against him his sorrows are genuinely affecting. Even the smallest parts are a who's who of great English actors, though, and I'm surprised who they grabbed for even a few lines.
    ...and the milk's in me.