Page 361 of 524 FirstFirst ... 261311351359360361362363371411461 ... LastLast
Results 9,001 to 9,025 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Cool, I was just going by the billboards, which, since they're everywhere, have that damn rhyming phrase stuck in my head. Glad to hear it's good since I love me some Krysten Ritter.
    Well it's B... in the credit sequence so I'd say you were right the first time.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Not sure if anyone's been watching Delocated this season, but my god, those last two episodes were glorious. One of the most underrated comedies on TV.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

All of Dawson's Creek is apparently on Amazon Prime streaming. So I'm watching it from the beginning.

Man, this dialogue.

"Sex sex sex! it's all anybody ever talk about! Why are we so obsessed with sex?"
    "Well, sex is a very important part of life, Dawson."
    "If sex is so important, then how come Spielberg never had a sex scene in any of his movies? Huh? He knows where sex belongs in film as it is in real life."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Somehow it never occurred to me when I was watching this show over a decade ago how unsettling it is to watch 15-year-olds make out in front of giant side-by-side posters of Schindler's List and The Color Purple.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

"You're going to have to kiss him. A movie doesn't work without a kiss, Joey. It's a love story."
    "It's a horror movie!"
    "It's an homage, with an allegorical slant."
    Movie Theater Diary

When TBS aired reruns of Dawson's Creek on a regular basis back when I was in high school, I watched them. I enjoy the show quite a bit, actually.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Yeah, back in 05 or so Dawsons Creek was on at like 7 in the morning and I noticed it was starting at the beginning so I watched I think about two seasons. It was better then I expected it to be though being a film major at the time I thought it was weird that he was a film major because of Spielberg.

It's deliberate. There's a scene where he complains that Close Encounters should have won an Oscar over Gandhi because they shouldn't give awards to movies you can't even sit through. Also when he enters the film festival and says out loud that his favorite director is Spielberg, the other student filmmakers laugh at him.
    Movie Theater Diary

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Just watched the finale of Rescue Me. It's definitely a show that was on the air once... Yup.

Quite enjoyed the show until it became all about Leary's character, and the rest of the characters had little left to do.

Next on the pile of "shows I've wasted enough time on to watch the final season" (after this, Hung and Bored to Death): Big Love.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Quote Quoting EvilShoe (view post)
    Just watched the finale of Rescue Me. It's definitely a show that was on the air once... Yup.

Quite enjoyed the show until it became all about Leary's character, and the rest of the characters had little left to do.
    Yeah, eventually all the secondary characters were limited to improv scenes, and Leary was dealing with conflicts that he had in Season 1 & 2. Huge dropoff, and a rather predictable finale for a firefighter show. Blegh.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Oh god please don't tell me they ended that show by --

[
    ]

I was a huge fan the first few seasons, then stopped watching around season fourish because of the problems EvilShoe noted.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Oh god please don't tell me they ended that show by --

[
    ]

I was a huge fan the first few seasons, then stopped watching around season fourish because of the problems EvilShoe noted.
    Close enough.

Lou dies in a fire the episode beforehand. Firefighter funeral, Leary has guilt that it should've been him. Eventually is comforted by the ghost of Lou, and becomes the instructor at the next FDNY Probie Academy.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Holy crap, "Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23" is genuinely funny. Thanks, guys. I'm going to call it DTtBiA23 for fun.

Also, holy crap, James Van Der Beek is genuinely funny. And handsome. I never thought he was handsome when he was popular, probably because the frosted tips. (Oh, frosted tips. WHY?) I never watched "Dawson's Creek" so I'd never really formed an opinion on him before.

And what's-her-name from "Dollhouse" is on here, too.

Yep. Did you watch the second episode?
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Yep. Did you watch the second episode?
    I did. I didn't really see the "Better off Ted" comparisons until someone showed up in a wheelchair. That was a very BoT moment.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Also, holy crap, James Van Der Beek is genuinely funny. And handsome. I never thought he was handsome when he was popular, probably because the frosted tips. (Oh, frosted tips. WHY?) I never watched "Dawson's Creek" so I'd never really formed an opinion on him before.
    Van Der Beek has a wonderful performance in The Rules of Attraction. A darkly charismatic and hilarious turn. I never watched Dawson's Creek, but I can only assume the role was completely against type for him. I've been hoping forever that someone else would tap into this side of him. I'm probably going to give this show a shot at some point soon.

He's the reason I first noticed the show. You know why? Because James Van Der Memes is one of the most important websites of our times.
    Movie Theater Diary

Alright, it's officially on my DVR. I'll watch the pilot tonight.

BTW, Mara, I know you gave up on Ringer but check out the episode from last night if you want to see how batshit crazy the show has gotten. I think you'll be able to catch on pretty quickly to what's going on if you pay attention to the "previously on..." segment. I can fill you in on the major details if you're interested.

Has potential. Frantic pace, even for a comedy pilot. Will be interesting to see how it evolves as it is given time to breathe. Definitely on my radar and I'll stick with it for awhile. Ivy from Dollhouse is pretty funny.

Just finished the first season of Adventure Time. This is really fun. I love it. Hope the next seasons are just as good.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Saya (view post)
    Just finished the first season of Adventure Time. This is really fun. I love it. Hope the next seasons are just as good.
    My younger sister loves that show and keeps trying to get me to watch it. I'll probably give it a go this summer.

It's absolutely demented. None of the shows on Adult Swim can hold a candle to Adventure Time's insanity.
    Movie Theater Diary

Upon reflection, the moment that shocked me the most about the first two episodes of DTtBiA23 was that we have a main (fairly likeable) character get an 11-year-old disabled boy drunk on purpose as a throw-away gag, with zero repercussions.

I suppose when you lay out the fact that she's a bitch from the get go (it's in the title!), anything goes.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I suppose when you lay out the fact that she's a bitch from the get go (it's in the title!), anything goes.
    I hope they don't castrate her character, actually. It's not unusual in a Wacky Ensemble Piece like this, especially with female characters, to tone down the crazy to make the character more sympathetic. (Veronica on "Better Off Ted" is a good example where they didn't do this.)

I'm also glad that June isn't played as being the "normal" one. Rather like Michael in "Arrested Development," functional does not equal sane. In the second episode especially, they are letting her quirk flag fly.

As far as secondary wackos go, I hope Scott remains as a character, Mark is hilarious and I like Robin (who I keep calling Ivy) mostly on potential. Eli the perverted neighbor, though... why? It feels like they're trying to subvert the always-present neighbor trope from traditional sitcoms and crossing him with The Todd from "Scrubs," but it's not really funny. Just sort of invasive and gross.