Page 504 of 524 FirstFirst ... 4404454494502503504505506514 ... LastLast
Results 12,576 to 12,600 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

I love the new Battlebots. It's good that my girlfriend shares my enthusiasm, too.

Catching up with Veep season 5. About halfway through, and I'm feeling disappointed. Ianucci is missed. The turn toward a greater focus on people's private lives feels like a misstep, the characters' flattening (perhaps inevitable in sitcoms) has accelerated to the point of paper-thinness, and I can't help but feel the characters' shocking crudeness and callousness has become more the point than the atmosphere. Fun performances and great one-liners are still to be had, but it all feels more forced somehow.

ABC is streaming throwbacks: http://www.avclub.com/article/abc-no...-sports-239498

My So-Called Life, Felicity (1st season), Sports Night, and Trophy Wife deserve watching.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Lots of superhero trailers coming out Comic-Con, but this one is the best and it's getting the least attention. I am so looking forward to this.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

We took a break from evenings devoted solely to Olympic coverage last night and knocked out four episodes of The Girlfriend Experience (eps. 6-9). And while the show's obstinate refusal to bring us into Christine's psychology prevents the show from being a type of binge-show, as it devises jump cuts to deny us easy pleasure, the last two episodes where Christine has her freak-out at work, and the collateral that unfolds from it, are all strikingly designed.

The show doubles back on its chronology to retell stories from multiple perspectives, it places us square in multiple viewpoints that are entrapped and struggling to secure a way out, and just pays off the slow build that's been uncurling throughout this first season. Meticulously crafted and unique in an era of long form drama...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Yes! There is going to be a 4th season of the Scandinavian The Bridge (Bron/Broen)!!

Saga Noren returns!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

This has "cancelled after 6 episodes" written all over it.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)

"How you gonna stop an airplane?!"

"Tinfoil!"

LOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Odds this'll get cancelled before Lethal Weapon?

(We should start a pool )

I've been checking out You're the Worst per Cutties recommendation, and though I'm not to the amazing second season yet it has been really surprising so far. It has way more bite than I expected. I think I might have confused it with another unhappy-couple show that was on a main network? Anyway the level of cynicism really works for the show and helps highlights the rare sweet moments. (I am particularly fond of how ardently Edgar ships the main couple.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Okay I got through eight episodes thinking Lindsay was played by Sarah Drew but I guess it's Kether Donohue? I feel that they have the same face.

Also, who is named Kether? That's not a name.
    ...and the milk's in me.

It's somewhat similar in tone and marketing as Married, another FX show.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Well, the back half of second season of You're the Worst was devastating, and I spent a certain amount of time keening and hiding under blankets.

What a total gut punch.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Producer
    "LCD Soundsystem" broke me good.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -

Fall 2016 premieres

https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.c...es-2016-h6.jpg

addendum:

"The ultimate guide to every science fiction and fantasy show on tv this fall"

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-ultimate-...asy-1785570299
    Last edited by Irish; 08-23-2016 at 02:46 PM.

So You're the Worst remains on solid footing through its season 3 opener. Love the whole business of a rejuvenated relationship bonding through a wannabe Blue Apron meal-=the Lindsay storyline hasn't been quite as interesting as the Edgar and main arcs, so hopefully this twist takes us somewhere interesting.

Halt and Catch Fire season 3 has been good so far--some of the female-centered sexism can become a little bit self-congratulatory, but the showrunners make sure that the women error and miss good ideas, too. All become just too strongheaded to see potential greatness, which makes for more dynamic viewing. At times, Joe becomes too much of a cipher, but at this point I assume that the show will ensure that it doesn't overly mythologize his Jobs-tendencies too much but rather chronicles the collateral that comes out of it.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

I always thought Luther was a really great show, perhaps because of the BBC or Elba being in it, but boy does it get sloppy, silly and preposterous at times. Barge in at any time, and you may rightly think it's ace, but stick around and shit will eventually reveal itself. Season 3 is half good, and half deeply average.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

I recently came across some discussion about an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants called "Nasty Patty," which is where Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob come to believe that they have killed a health inspector and then proceed to try and dispose of the body. I had never seen the show, but this premise surprised me, given what I thought the show was, so I had to check it out. It lived up to the claims made about its hilarity and the surprisingly darkly-tinged storytelling.

So we're all in agreement that Lindsay is The Worst, right? Lindsay!

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    So we're all in agreement that Lindsay is The Worst, right? Lindsay!
    I love Lindsay, but she is terrible.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I'm enjoying Gretchen's journey this season--it's a bit recursive in whether she's advancing or not, but that feels true to her character, and Aya Cash continues to nail it. Jimmy, though, feels perhaps the least fruitful of the core cast. I expect that the season will end with his growth being something that's manageable rather the cyclical like Gretchen, but he feels a little too static right now.

We're halfway through Amazon's Fleabag, and the surprise sequence in episode two is probably the funniest thing I've seen all summer. It's set up so simply, but there's two or three parts where the show ups the ante in the payoff, and they're glorious. Love Waller-Bridge, and Olivia Colman steals every sequence she's in.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

Well, You're the Worst finally delivered on the promise of last season's excellent mid-season form. The focus on Edgar and PTSD was far stronger than some of the more facile takes on adulthood this season, as I'll admit that some of the shenanigans regarding Jimmy's dad didn't really go anywhere. But the design and concern over Edgar's losing it pushed this show back into terrain where I'm optimistic that Falk and company keep it--it had a more cinematic take beyond Irish's valid complaints, and it approached "issues" with grace and righteous anger. Hopefully we don't detour back to hijinks without a stronger balance of these issues.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

I'm not sure if this will actually interest anyone here, but Rolling Stone released its list of the 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time. As per the usual response to these things, I'll share a few of the ways in which it didn't correspond to my own tastes and views:

The X-Files
    being put ahead of Buffy. I greatly admire both shows, but The X-Files became something of a sprawling mess (which, in all fairness, was part of the fun). Whedon's show is far less desultory and has greater stretches of uninterrupted quality, among many other virtues.

Breaking Bad, while ridiculously good, is not better than Seinfeld or Mad Men. To what degree it's even productive to pit a drama against a sitcom is another question, but I know which show I'd pick if I were forced to decide between the two.

There is no sign of Frasier at all, which is one of the most curious things about this list. Up until recently, it held the record for having received the greatest amount of Emmys. Moreover, it's terrific, and certainly not the kind of show that I would have expected to be completely absent from the list.

I haven't seen The Wire yet but I assume that many will contest The Sopranos being placed ahead of Simon's show.

If you want an alternate take, I recommend this: https://www.amazon.com/TV-Book-Exper...dp/1455588199/
    Movie Theater Diary