Page 17 of 524 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117517 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Torchwood S2E12 - Fragments is a pleasant surprise - it's basically just a flashback show that sets up the season finale, but it was surprisingly even and well paced, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    As Samuel Adams, no less.

Meanwhile, I started The Sopranos last night, watching the first two episodes. I don't know why I always avoided it up until now, but all my fears have been dispelled. This far in and it's already great.
    Great to hear. Season 3 is the best season of the bunch although Season 1 and Season 5 are close seconds. I could honestly pick any of those seasons and be comfortable saying it was the best season of the show (for now anyways as I haven't seen Season 6). Season 4 to me was the weakest season and even it was pretty damn good.

My God last night's episode of ATHF was not only very funny, but just really great. The moment the crazy Christian druggie fruits came onscreen the entire episode had about a laugh a minute. I loved the ending too, and all of it was just very dark humor that fit. This season has really rocked for the most part.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Halfway through season one of The Wire and I can't believe how good this sh*t is, even knowing how much all of you guys keep raving about it all the time. Unbelievable. Just flat out awesome.

Once I finish The Sopranos and Lost comes to a close I'll probably check out The Wire. It just sounds like a very large project to tackle.

Re Band of Brothers:

While there was some good things included and I thought it was still pretty solid, I felt that the forth episode, "Replacements" is (so far) the weakest of the bunch. I was surprised to see James McAvoy as one of the replacement privates, even if his stay on the show was extremely short lived. I had actually heard of Operation Market Garden, and I did know that it failed although the Alled forces were able to conquor most of Holland rather quickly. I thought it was interesting how they showed failure and setback, and the cost of thinking that the war could be ended quickly (it recalls to mind how the North and South forces thought they could quickly finish the Civil War in a matter of weeks). Finally, I have to say the strongest element of the episode is Bull and his quiet determined march to freedom from behind enemy lines. I have to say he's one of the cooler leaders featured in the show.

Tonight I viewed episode five, "Crossroads." Much better than the previous episode, and I liked how it touched on how easily the chaos and horror of combat can affect soliders. Mainly through the show's main character, Winters, who I think so far has been the best of the bunch. I like his quiet thoughtfulness and grace under pressure, and I'm guessing that he was the guy the old vets were talking about at the begining of the episode. I found it interesting how he felt so uncomfortable behind a desk after getting promoted, and its clear he much prefers being with his men in the field instead.
    Also seeing Jimmy Fallon appear out of nowhere was actually funny and weird, if only because he was so out of place in this serious mini series. Nixon was really funny in this episode, if only because of the extent of his alcoholism-I really think he might be my favorite character, and Ron Livingston rocks in this. I feel safe at this point in the mini series in saying that BOB>Saving Private Ryan by a long shot.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

There's a bunch of weird cameos in BoB.

David Schwimmer and Simon Pegg threw me off the first time. Jimmy Fallon is probably the weirdest, though.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    I recently finished the second season of Masters of Horror. In the end I found myself enjoying 7 episodes: Family, Sounds Like, Pelts, The Screwfly Solution, Right to Die, The Black Cat, The Washingtonians.
    This means the majority of episodes entertained me!

Still, even the best of these episodes only managed to be "good". This show is such a waste of potential.
    I hope Fear Itself (the network version of it) will succeed where this fails. Maybe a lack of gore and nudity will force directors to be more creative. (Then again, I read they'll film such stuff and save it for the DVD versions.)

I've also started on yet another show: Mad Men. Excellent pilot.
    The setting is terrific: an ad agency in the 60's. I'll keep watching this one.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Brad Anderson's Sounds Like is the best thing he has made.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    There's a bunch of weird cameos in BoB.

David Schwimmer and Simon Pegg threw me off the first time. Jimmy Fallon is probably the weirdest, though.
    The funny thing is that Schwimmer and Pegg really fit in with the rest of the cast, and Schwimmer is quite good in his limited role as the asshole idiot who shapes the company into what they become. But yeah Fallon just doesn't fit in there at all, and is too random to have any sort of impact beyond "Hey that's Jimmy Fallon!"
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Brad Anderson's Sounds Like is the best thing he has made.
    Not counting his work for The Wire and The Shield, I must say even then I still prefer Session 9.

It's definitely better than The Machinist, though.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

Seven shades of awesome:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5121VjLwqZM
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Netflix being down on Monday put a severe crimp on my Sopranos marathon plans for last night. I'm also trying to finish a screenplay and told my co-writer that because of this, I'd either devote more time to writing or, jokingly, suggested that I'd spend the whole night sulking.

I did a lot more sulking. Good thing three discs should be in my mailbox when I get home today.

On the 4th disc of Season Two of Veronica Mars right now. Still loving it, and storylines have developed quite nicely, with character's loyalties switching logically and fluidly. A little worried that the Mac/Beaver arc will get a little too saccarine, but otherwise things go well.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Is it just me, or is the Jesus thing in Rescue Me's second season terribly unfunny?
    Terrific stuff, otherwise.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

Ell-oh-ell. I watched episodes 10 & 11 of The Sopranos backwards. Good thing it wasn't too essential to watch them right.

Finished off Veronica Mars season three. It is a letdown in terms of quality from the first two seasons, even if the whole Cassidy storyline from Season 2 is every bit as convoluted as anything here (it just had better flow and pacing there), and the lack of resolution here may piss me off more than anything else in the year. That said, it feels like it ran its course narrative-wise; it simply was a solid two seasons before coasting to averageville for Season 3.

Bah to a lack of any resolution from that last episode, though. Grr.:frustrated:
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    So Blood Plus is over...

...Hooray!

Interesting how most of the animes that I commit to watching wear out their welcome after the first season, but by then I feel like seeing it out even though the show has lost its appeal. This show was like that. Everyone seemed so in love with the main character, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. She was mostly whiny and indecisive and then could barely stay awake during the last stretch of episodes.

No surprise that the final fight with Diva is underwhelming and over before it can begin. Have to love the finale when we have our heroes trying to flee a building as a bomb falls. There's an explosion, we go to commercial...and then come back and apparently everyone's just fine.

And now Bleach is back. I remember when the show was an interesting and funny samurai take on Ghostbusters. Now it's all about filling half an hour with about five minutes of actual story progress.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

The first season of The Sopranos was really quite amazing. I can't believe I held out so long before sitting down to watch it. Within four episodes, I knew its placement in the pantheon of American television was well-earned. Season 2 can't get here soon enough.

Kind of in love with Lorraine Bracco/Jennifer Melfi.

In the hour-long interview between Peter Bogdanovich and David Chase on the first season DVDs, I'm pretty sure Bogdanovich told Chase he ran over his dog right before the interview began. Interesting stuff, though.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    The first season of The Sopranos was really quite amazing. I can't believe I held out so long before sitting down to watch it. Within four episodes, I knew its placement in the pantheon of American television was well-earned. Season 2 can't get here soon enough.

Kind of in love with Lorraine Bracco/Jennifer Melfi.

In the hour-long interview between Peter Bogdanovich and David Chase on the first season DVDs, I'm pretty sure Bogdanovich told Chase he ran over his dog right before the interview began. Interesting stuff, though.
    Season 2 is almost as great as Season 1 is. I don't want to say more though because I fear hyping it up too much and thus resulting in you being disappointed. What was your favorite episode from Season 1? So far mine is College.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but Bracco was always the weakest part of the show for me. I don't find her to be a convincing actress.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Adding a "fuck yes" for the second season of Dexter. That is all.

The season finale of Ashes to Ashes was actually pretty good, despite a terrible "emotional" speech by Hunt.

Still: come back to us, Sam Tyler.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Not to rain on anyone's parade, but Bracco was always the weakest part of the show for me. I don't find her to be a convincing actress.
    I think she's decent, but she doesn't hold a candle to Mrs. Soprano. Although that was one of the show's meatest roles however. Bracco is indeed pretty hot, that much I agree about.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

The third season of The Mighty Boosh is to the first seasons what Man to Man with Dean Learner is to Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

How is Season 2 of Big Love? I thought Season 1 was pretty good although nothing special.

Big Love's boring as hell. I don't get the love.
    Movie Theater Diary