Page 417 of 524 FirstFirst ... 317367407415416417418419427467517 ... LastLast
Results 10,401 to 10,425 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I never watched it, but I just found out about all the ridiculousness going on with Up All Night.

Apparently NBC has ordered the show to switch its format from a single-cam comedy into a multi-cam sitcom shot in front of a live audience. WTF?

As a result, both the series creator and star Christina Applegate quit the show in protest.

Run, Will Arnett. Arrested Development is back. GTFO.
    not even the weirdest part

BuzzFeed's Kate Aurthur says the planned multi-camera version of the show would be a huge change, not just a formatting tweak. "The new 'Up All Night,' should it ever exist, is the behind-the-scenes in the making of a TV show," she tweeted — with the cast playing actors and everything. Oy, just make a different show, you guys!

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    not even the weirdest part
    Wait, so the single-camera show is now a show within a multi-camera show? That would be surreal.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Wait, so the single-camera show is now a show within a multi-camera show? That would be surreal.
    I actually love that idea. I wish networks would try strange things like that with underperforming shows more often.

Hope it happens. I might actually watch an episode.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I actually love that idea. I wish networks would try strange things like that with underperforming shows more often.

Hope it happens. I might actually watch an episode.
    Kind of the same thing happened on that horrible Brad Garrett sitcom come to think of it, where a character comes to realise he's a character on a sitcom.

mara-signal:

seems like enver gjokaj is gonna be a recurring character on vegas

A multicam sitcom about the making of a singlecam sitcom. I don't think that's ever been done before. That is pretty subversive.

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    mara-signal:

seems like enver gjokaj is gonna be a recurring character on vegas
    Dammit, now I have to watch it.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    Is this your first time watching Cheers?
    I've seen pieces of it from when it aired and in reruns, but I've never sat down and watched it before. I'm busy with stuff at the moment so it's been a good choice to put on in the semi-background while I putter around.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I've seen pieces of it from when it aired and in reruns, but I've never sat down and watched it before. I'm busy with stuff at the moment so it's been a good choice to put on in the semi-background while I putter around.
    I watched all of Cheers and then all of Frasier while I was falling asleep over the course of a year or so. It's kind of crazy how you can follow the character for ~20 years in real time.

I've seen pretty much all of Frasier, because I was older when it was airing, and I've watched it on Netflix now and then. It is a great show, and my love for Niles is boundless.
    ...and the milk's in me.

BBC's axed The Hour.
    Harold and Maude (Hal Ashby, 1971)
    Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen, 2013)
    Wag the Dog (Barry Levinson, 1997)
    Prisoners (Denis Villeneuve, 2013)
    Filth (Jon S. Baird, 2013)
    Sunshine on Leith (Dexter Fletcher, 2013)
    Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? (Frank Tashlin, 1957)
    Kelly + Victor (Keiran Evans, 2012)
    We Are What We Are (Jim Mickle, 2013)
    The Great Beauty (Paolo Sorrentino, 2013)

Read Write Hand

Quote Quoting Gamblor (view post)
    BBC's axed The Hour.
    goddamn it

I'm not sure why we're all supposed to have forgiven Mike Tyson, but I don't buy into it.

And I'm really pissed that HIMYM thinks Convicted Rapist, Mike Tyson, holding a baby and becoming a senator is funny. Because it's not.
    ...and the milk's in me.

The Hangover.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The Hangover.
    So, that's it? He's in a film people like, and now we forget that he's a total psychopath?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    So, that's it? He's in a film people like, and now we forget that he's a total psychopath?
    That's pretty much how it works.

I think his repentance has to do with it, too. The fact that he's been diagnosed with bipolar disorder (no shock there), went completely sober and forfeited his wealth bought him some redemption in the public.

People forgave John Lennon for beating the shit out of his girlfriend.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm sorry, but he just strikes me as being creepy as hell. Like, Mel Gibson, Chris Brown, Charlie Sheen levels of creepy.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I've already caught a lot of shit for this, but Battlestar Galactica, while well done and smart, just isn't grabbing me. I'm going to see about getting through the first season, but if it doesn't pull me in by then, I'm going to skip the rest.

Meanwhile, Boardwalk Empire has grabbed me in a big way.

Vegas pilot: not awful. Great cast. Everyone seems pretty blase about having a female assistant DA in 1960. Countdown to episode with Enver in it: 13.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Enjoying Fringe, mostly for the overarching plot, but I wish the science in this show wasn't quite so dumb. I don't expect it to hold up to close inspection but I'd just like it to be so that I, as someone whose basically scientifically illiterate, can't immediately say 'well, he's just talking complete nonsense'.

2 more episodes to go in season 2. The musical noir one was weird. Like a Star Trek Holodeck episode.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Speaking of BSG, and since he has tried and been unsuccessful so many times, I thought it worth getting excited over the recent news that SyFy has reportedly gone with a direct-to-series order for Ronald Moore's Helix, produced by Sony Pictures TV. Nothing seems 100%, but this is far more promising than the doomed pilots he has been churning out.

It is also being reported that the storyline, about a team of scientists investigating a dangerous disease outbreak in the Arctic, resembles his mostly-scrapped screenplay for The Thing remake.

Not sure what this means about his supposedly-still active Outlander series he was developing based on a book series I have never heard of but sounded quite promising.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

I'm rewatching Battlestar Galactica (mainly because Barty is watching it for the first time). I can easily pick out flaws in this show, but the intimate moments between characters are just too damn great for me to care. I can't wait for Barty to watch the last 10 minutes of the season one finale.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    I've already caught a lot of shit for this, but Battlestar Galactica, while well done and smart, just isn't grabbing me. I'm going to see about getting through the first season, but if it doesn't pull me in by then, I'm going to skip the rest.
    With you all the way. Never got further than the first season.

Meanwhile, Boardwalk Empire has grabbed me in a big way.
    Aaaaaaaaand you lost me.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Not sure what this means about his supposedly-still active Outlander series he was developing based on a book series I have never heard of but sounded quite promising.
    My girlfriend loves Diana Gabaldon and the Outlander series, so she's ecstatic.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Yeah I watched through Cheers all the way through about a year ago. Loved it. Good show to go to sleep to.

I got I think 4 or 5 episodes into Vegas. I didn't hate it but I never really liked it, it just fell by the wayside when I had other things to watch. I'll probably try again over the summer.