Page 524 of 524 FirstFirst ... 24424474514522523524
Results 13,076 to 13,095 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Tonight's episode of BCS was just pure fluff - entirely forgettable.

Have been watching Mad Men for the first time - looking forward to the season 2 finale.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Tonight's episode of BCS was just pure fluff - entirely forgettable.
    What have you been thinking about this season in general up to this point, just out of curiosity?

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    What have you been thinking about this season in general up to this point, just out of curiosity?
    It's alright. If this show weren't connected to BB I would not have continued watching it.

The Season 2 finale of Mad Men was very good but I'm disappointed in the season 3 opener, to the point that I'm not sure I'll continue. I do not think that Mad Men accurately portrays sexism in the 60s, it goes way too far. As evidence I point to all the movies and TV shows that came out in the 50s and 60s throughout the world (and prior) - I can't think of any that go anywhere near as MM. I've studied a lot of history and one conclusion I've gathered is that contemporary accounts are always more accurate than future accounts. So, what's the point of the extreme sexist take on this show? It can only be to appease people who are pro-sexism. Don Draper is a male fantasy, he's there to attract male viewers week after week, who get to watch who he gets to fuck this time.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    It's alright. If this show weren't connected to BB I would not have continued watching it.
    Yeah, me too; I mean, don't get me wrong, since I do feel it's a very good show on the whole, but not quite a great one, which I feel it was always destined to be, since Breaking Bad pretty much got this "universe" as good as it was ever going to get (which is all-time great for me), so anything else set in it was more or less guaranteed to be something of a lesser add-on, regardless of how hard they tried. I do like it, though!

I'd say it's not just Star Trek, but Hollywood as a whole that's "given up on the future" (with the industry's crippling obsession with nostalgia and whatnot), but this video still makes some good points in its own right:

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    I'd say it's not just Star Trek, but Hollywood as a whole that's "given up on the future"
    Fair. As the video points out, however, it's particularly hurtful to Star Trek considering the show's themes of exploration, discovery, open-mindedness, etc. Such irony doesn't exist within IP that looks back toward more traditional values, such as Captain America for instance.

- - - - -
    Calling it nostalgia is too simple a spin, imo.

This guy cherry picked examples and heavily overstated the serial nature of DS9 to make his argument work.

The original show "looked back" just as much as later series, albeit in a different way. Several original episodes riff on mid-century pop culture (and sometimes directly stole from certain sources, particularly pulp magazines). They did cheesy themed storylines in the style of 30s gangster movies, sword and sandal epics, WWII action adventures, and westerns. This is just as much a form of cultural nostalgia as Scotty appearing in "Next Generation," but somehow the video guy missed it.

The movies have always been self referential. "Motion Picture" takes its core premise from an OG series episode. "Wrath of Khan" is related to a different episode, and "Search for Spock" is a direct sequel to "Khan." The plotline to "First Contact" relies heavily on a minor character first referenced in the original series, and a villain who first appeared on "Next Generation."

"DS9" didn't really contain serialized plotlines until the end of its final season. Before that, it was just as one-off episodic as "TNG" and the OG series.

Parts of "Voyager" were conceived as season-long storylines, which would have been ground breaking, but since it was a syndicated show broadcast at different times in different markets, Paramount was afraid the audience wouldn't follow along.

The video also almost totally ignores the social and political changes within the U.S. from the mid-60s to the late-90s, too: A declining interest in space exploration, a resistance to United States as a colonial power, etc. You can't really do a show in 2022 about a bunch of white guys visiting "exotic" locations and literally establishing white guy colonies...

But the main problem with "Star Trek" is that it increasingly became more self-referential and insular over the years. You can only fold a fictional universe onto itself so many times before it becomes unwieldy. (See also: Star Wars.)

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Fair. As the video points out, however, it's particularly hurtful to Star Trek considering the show's themes of exploration, discovery, open-mindedness, etc. Such irony doesn't exist within IP that looks back toward more traditional values, such as Captain America for instance.
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Calling it nostalgia is too simple a spin, imo.

This guy cherry picked examples and heavily overstated the serial nature of DS9 to make his argument work.

The original show "looked back" just as much as later series, albeit in a different way. Several original episodes riff on mid-century pop culture (and sometimes directly stole from certain sources, particularly pulp magazines). They did cheesy themed storylines in the style of 30s gangster movies, sword and sandal epics, WWII action adventures, and westerns. This is just as much a form of cultural nostalgia as Scotty appearing in "Next Generation," but somehow the video guy missed it.

The movies have always been self referential. "Motion Picture" takes its core premise from an OG series episode. "Wrath of Khan" is related to a different episode, and "Search for Spock" is a direct sequel to "Khan." The plotline to "First Contact" relies heavily on a minor character first referenced in the original series, and a villain who first appeared on "Next Generation."

"DS9" didn't really contain serialized plotlines until the end of its final season. Before that, it was just as one-off episodic as "TNG" and the OG series.

Parts of "Voyager" were conceived as season-long storylines, which would have been ground breaking, but since it was a syndicated show broadcast at different times in different markets, Paramount was afraid the audience wouldn't follow along.

The video also almost totally ignores the social and political changes within the U.S. from the mid-60s to the late-90s, too: A declining interest in space exploration, a resistance to United States as a colonial power, etc. You can't really do a show in 2022 about a bunch of white guys visiting "exotic" locations and literally establishing white guy colonies...

But the main problem with "Star Trek" is that it increasingly became more self-referential and insular over the years. You can only fold a fictional universe onto itself so many times before it becomes unwieldy. (See also: Star Wars.)
    Well, it does depend from example to example; for instance, if you look at the movies, one of the reasons why The Motion Picture failed was because it tried to go for a more contemplative, 2001-ish approach, which ended up feeling somewhat derivative of that film, while Wrath Of Kahn corrected the ship by going for a more general, contemporary-style blockbuster adventure (and let's be real, bringing Kahn back from the series was more of an Easter egg for the Trekkies who remembered "Space Seed", rather than a selling point like with Into Darkness). Of course, episodes like "Relics" or "Trials And Tribble-ations" both explicitly engage in Trek nostalgia, but they do much more than that, utilizing that nostalgia as a theme to drive the episode, or using it as a loving tribute to the the original series' most iconic episode, which makes all the difference from just coasting off of the fumes of the past like the weak examples of this do (like Generations).

[
    ]

Continuing with Mad Men season 3. The show has more to offer than rampant sexism but every time some new good looking actress is introduced you know where that ends up, this week it was the schoolteacher.

Watched the first two seasons of Barry. Fuuuuuck.
    Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

Started watching The Office US. Well shit, I'm crazily in love with it. I love the BBC version and felt the initial episodes of the US version were a bit too over the top already, compared to the low-key approach of the English version but that feeling soon evaporated. One of the funniest things I've ever seen, we're watching season 3 now.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

First time ☆

First time ☆

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Started watching The Office US. Well shit, I'm crazily in love with it. I love the BBC version and felt the initial episodes of the US version were a bit too over the top already, compared to the low-key approach of the English version but that feeling soon evaporated. One of the funniest things I've ever seen, we're watching season 3 now.
    I love Seasons 1-5 of the show. I quit watching after Season 7.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Gangs of London is fucking badass. Season 1 dates back to 2020 by the way. Season 2 is scheduled for later.

The fight scenes are among the best ever, which should not surprise as Gareth Evans is one of the driving forces behind this.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

TV shows just keep on giving. Started watching Apple TV's Slow Horses, and it's just a brilliantly original television series about a gang of intelligence misfits dumped into a usesless Mi5 branch led by super grumpy Gary Oldman.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Do TVs exist that allow you to shrink the display size? A lot of my old DVDs look crappy when stretched out on the new large screen.

Met Michael Mando on the street today. Class act. He was talking on the phone and I couldn't help but yell "Nacho!", he asked for a second, shook my hand and told me to have a great day.