Page 508 of 524 FirstFirst ... 8408458498506507508509510518 ... LastLast
Results 12,676 to 12,700 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

I can't believe that digging scene was like seven minutes long, without any dialogue, and I watched it without even noticing that it's even been a long time and had to time it after the episode was over out of curiosity. The show can be so riveting with the most bizarrely mundane actions just because they provide context and mystery so well. Their idea of a flashy season premiere climax was seriously just a bunch of people wordlessly digging a hole for seven minutes of airtime. And it's the best show on television. Wow.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Producer
    Hope for Legion to cohere to a more tangible center before the end of the season, but its increasingly nutso visual landscape of Inception-meets-David Lynch remains a weekly treat. And this week's evokes Buffy's classic episode "Hush" and then manages to creep me out even more than that one.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I can't believe that digging scene was like seven minutes long, without any dialogue, and I watched it without even noticing that it's even been a long time and had to time it after the episode was over out of curiosity. The show can be so riveting with the most bizarrely mundane actions just because they provide context and mystery so well. Their idea of a flashy season premiere climax was seriously just a bunch of people wordlessly digging a hole for seven minutes of airtime. And it's the best show on television. Wow.
    SERIOUSLY. It reminded me of a year or two ago when they had a car chase scene where everyone was driving really slowly and obeying traffic lights and I was drenched in sweat from tension by the end. This show has my number, for sure.
    ...and the milk's in me.

- - - - -
    Anybody re-watching Buffy to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the premiere?

Producer
    Tempted to, with all these articles. I watched parts of "The Body" on youtube yesterday and was reminded of how each given 2 or 3 minutes of that episode can be brutal. Welling up just to those short snippets so I can't imagine what my full rewatch of it would be like, lol.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

I have never needed an excuse to put on Buffy.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Producer
    Legion is often compared to Inception; if so, this week's episode is the van falling off the bridge and its ripple effects across many planes. So great that they can have that same grand sense in compressed time on TV.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Anybody re-watching Buffy to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the premiere?
    I'm watching it for the first/second time. I'd seen season 1, most of 2, and smattering of episodes throughout. I pretty much know what happens on the show.

The girl who plays Tara is just not a good actress. At least, not so far. Could be she looks works acting across from Alyson Hannigan, by far the best actor on the show.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I'm watching it for the first/second time. I'd seen season 1, most of 2, and smattering of episodes throughout. I pretty much know what happens on the show.

The girl who plays Tara is just not a good actress. At least, not so far. Could be she looks works acting across from Alyson Hannigan, by far the best actor on the show.
    The show is both worse and better than I remembered. I couldn't make it past season 5. [
    ]

I noticed the same thing about Tara. I don't know what she was doing. Although, the episode where Amy Adams shows up in a walk-on part as Tara's cousin was kinda fun.

Agree about Hannigan. It bugs me that nobody behind the camera recognized her talent, and the writers didn't do much with her character until the sixth season. (Beforehand, I'm pretty sure Xander has more standalone episodes devoted to him.)

Producer
    Finally started Twin Peaks and watched the first two episodes. Already in love with it, especially the pilot, Kyle MacLachlan, and that incredible music. This has the same beguiling atmosphere as Blue Velvet, but with the added benefit of not needing to wrap up itself within one feature length, so the seeping in of dark surrealism/unease can feel more invitingly slow-burn, natural and intoxicating. Also really taken in with one lingering, unexpected grace note among the montage of terror at the end of the pilot: Donna's warm and tender interaction with her dad about soothingly mundane stuff.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Oh my. Looks to be yuge.

"We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Anthony Atamanuik is so good as Trump.

I knew he was going to be the host because of his multiple stints doing it on @midnight last year, which CC bosses must have noticed. He does the best Trump impression, but I really don't know if I'd be able to stomach this show.
    Movie Theater Diary

On the evidence of the first 2 episodes (directed by J.A. Bayona of The Orphanage and Jurassic World 2 fame) of Showtime's Penny Dreadful, I find myself utterly amazed there is no thread dedicated to it. Love the setting, so good to see Timothy Dalton back as well.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

- - - - -

http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/11/stephen-...first-trailer/

How is this a series?

(I'll give it a look when it airs, but I can't imagine how tedious the show will become if they push this concept to 10 episodes and multiple seasons.)

The movie was bad enough /controversial.

Producer
    I hope they learn from Under the Dome.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Should really go to bed but want to at least imbibe some of the first new MST3K in 17 years when midnight hits.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    On the evidence of the first 2 episodes (directed by J.A. Bayona of The Orphanage and Jurassic World 2 fame) of Showtime's Penny Dreadful, I find myself utterly amazed there is no thread dedicated to it. Love the setting, so good to see Timothy Dalton back as well.
    There isn't? And it's a treasure... Silly at its worst, incredible at its best.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Feud: Bette & Joan is really, really awesome.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

- - - - -
    Michael Shannon as Fire Captain Beatty. Holy fuck.

https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/fah...bo-1202390676/

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/04/dea...ch-1201806914/

Deadwood movie script has been submitted to HBO. Fingers crossed.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Between The Leftovers and Fargo, the next three months of my television life is just gonna be me being amazed by Carrie Coon.
    Movie Theater Diary

Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -

Gonna watch just long enough to find out what the "suck bus" is.